Thread: DIY: Replacing the splash guard on the disposal

DIY: Replacing the splash guard on the disposal

In-Sink-Erator brand.

The instructions on the package do not mention plumber's putty (what the heck is plumber's putty, anyway? Is it anything like naval jelly?), but the video on In-Sink-Erator's website suggests using plumber's putty.

The instructions seem pretty straightforward. Any tips or anything they might have forgotten to mention that I need to know?

And yes - before you guys remind to turn off the power at the circuit box, I already know that part.

Wish me luck~

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    In-Sink-Erator brand.

The instructions on the package do not mention plumber's putty (what the heck is plumber's putty, anyway? Is it anything like naval jelly?), but the video on In-Sink-Erator's website suggests using plumber's putty.

The instructions seem pretty straightforward. Any tips or anything they might have forgotten to mention that I need to know?

And yes - before you guys remind to turn off the power at the circuit box, I already know that part.

Wish me luck~

Plumbers Putty is a gooshy putty used by plumbers. You pack it around the seals and it fills the little spaces that can leak. It hardens over time and makes a good seal. It comes in little plastic tubs of a few ounces for the homeowner who doesn't need a lot. just roll it around in your hands to warm and soften it, mush (<------fancy technical term) it into place and tighten everything down. Any putty the gooshes (<-----"Nuther fancy technical term) you scrape off and then you're done.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Gracias, Senor Grouch.

I'm taking it apart now. In lieu of plumber's putty...is there a substitute? Like...Marine Goop or something else? Or, is plumber's putty the stuff that I need?

You need plumber's putty. Any hardware store or lumberyard, old or new, will have it.
    Even Wal-Mart carries it.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Gracias, Senor Grouch.

I'm taking it apart now. In lieu of plumber's putty...is there a substitute? Like...Marine Goop or something else? Or, is plumber's putty the stuff that I need?

I'm sure there's something else but it will be hard to find and more expensive.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks. I did not use it when I installed, and I have a teeny weeny leak. Drats! Hubby said he has plumber's putty somewhere in a box of plumbing junk....so he is going to fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I'm sure there's something else but it will be hard to find and more expensive.
    Ok - I'll <ahem> consider that. <snickle>