Thread: After-rapture pet care

After-rapture pet care

Don't worry about your pets if you are taken by the rapture - this organization has a list of non-Christian pet lovers who will take care of Fluffy and Fido for you.

Carol began recruiting other non-Christian animal lovers nationwide to volunteer to take care of left-behind pets if the Rapture occurs. As a Christian, my role has been to put together a program that is Biblically appropriate and provides true value to Christians. I believe we’ve come up with a plan that is affordable, unique, Biblical and practical.
    http://aftertherapturepetcare.com/

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    And yet we laugh at people who believe in unicorns - or that they're Napoleon...

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    And yet we laugh at people who believe in unicorns - or that they're Napoleon...
    Do you think to believe in religious nonsense is some type of very common mental disease?

Sometimes it's rather obvious, such as when it's little cults such as Heaven's Gate.

But even when it's a large religion, such as Catholics, etc. it's only a little less obvious, IMO, that it has to be some type of very common mental illness (to believe in such obvious nonsense, as any of the world's countless religions, as truth).

"Man--the only animal with true religion--many of them!"
    -Mark Twain

-Don Quoteman, Reno, NV

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Don't worry about your pets if you are taken by the rapture - this organization has a list of non-Christian pet lovers who will take care of Fluffy and Fido for you.
    And the only time anyone would know that they have been well and truly scammed is after they are dead. Whoop-te-woo, that sounds like the perfect rip-off. Even better than cryogenic storage for brains.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Do you think to believe in religious nonsense is some type of very common mental disease?

Sometimes it's rather obvious, such as when it's little cults such as Heaven's Gate.

But even when it's a large religion, such as Catholics, etc. it's only a little less obvious, IMO, that it has to be some type of very common mental illness (to believe in such obvious nonsense, as any of the world's countless religions, as truth).
    I think that the problem is that mankind, in the main, is a very fragile species. Unless it has something to 'belieeeve' in it feels vulnerable and defenceless. There, are of course, the rest of us who believe that our lives and destinies are ruled entirely by ourselves. A significant number of astute people quickly spotted that, by playing on people's weaknesses and purporting to give them hope for an afterlife, there was a large amount of money to be made - thus the cult of Religion was born. Because there are always parasites that will prey on others the cult quickly, (in astronomical terms) spread, each element of the religious mafia tailoring his particular branch of religion to meet the needs of his particular demographic environment. To me religion is a sign of a common mental weakness and lack of belief in one's own abilities.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post

"Man--the only animal with true religion--many of them!"
    -Mark Twain

-Don Quoteman, Reno, NV

I've been thinking about this for a long time; most of my life, in fact. I don't think the tendency to be religious that most people seem to have is the result of mental illness - as we usually define that, anyhow. I think, rather, that it's the result of our nature, to a great extent - as well as the context in which most of us live (and were reared).

I began to question religion (as such; the whole thing) in my early teens. The things I had been told struck me as implausible, if not outright ridiculous. The obvious contradictions; the childish anthropomorphism. The claims to universality preached by all of them, despite the obvious fact that each of them is/was the product of a regional culture confined to a certain portion of the earth (and its people) as well as a particular moment in time. That religions come - and go. That the Romans believed as fervently in their pantheon of Gods (and before them, the Egyptians in theirs) as current-era Christians believe in their God. Etc.

I came to the conclusion that religious belief is the result of the following:

* Wishful thinking -

Many people can't deal with the thought of death and that death might be the end of everything (for them). Or they can't accept the notion that our existence is probably a random happenstance, the result of natural (not supernatural) processes. They can't bear the idea that there isn't some kind of "guiding hand" behind it all. A kind of numinous paterfamilias who will make it all "all right." Who will make sense of the random cruelty and unfairness of existence. Etc.

* Sloppy thinking -

Some people just aren't very smart, or they've never learned to reason. So they can hold onto contradictory (or just silly) ideas such as a monotheistic and immortal God who fathers a son, who becomes a kind of co-regent God, who is also immortal yet suffers (and dies) on our behalf....

* Ignorance -

This is a biggie. People who have no idea that the Earth is billions of years old (and the universe many times older than that) ... that countess billions of creatures have lived and died over immense spans of time, long before Man even existed - are easy meat for simple-minded religions that count history in thousands of years. I find that religious people have very poor time-sense. The scale of geologic time is something they've never really thought about, or even are aware of.

Then there's basic biology, physics - all the rest of it. It is no accident that the more education one has, the less likely one is to be religious. People who hold advanced degrees (in the hard sciences particularly) are the least likely to be fervently religious, while the reverse is true of people with high school or less education.

* Social pressure -

I have some religious friends. It would be extremely awkward for them to deny their faith, or even to be less than obviously religious. Their parents and other relatives all go to church on Sunday and do church-related activities. They salt their conversations with religious-talk and references. Etc.

The plain fact is is it is easier to be a convicted criminal than an open non-believer in America, at least, outside of places like NYC and SF. Especially if you are a criminal who has been "born again."

It is, for example, almost a prerequisite to at least pretend to believe if you want to run for any public office. An open non-believer is unelectable.

* Early conditioning -

People who grow up in religious families tend to be religious themselves. Children are (obviously) very suggestible and "think magically" by nature. They also see their parents as omnipotent and omniscient. So if Mom and Dad feed junior Bible-talk from infancy on, it is going to be harder for the kid to shed that stuff as he or she grows up.

Related: Less religious people tend to have fewer (or no) kids while religious people tend to have several kids - which naturally increases the ranks of the religious while thinning out the number of non-believers.

That's my synopsis!

PS: Here's little bit of dialog from Watchmen that I think sums it up nicely:

"Stood in firelight, sweltering. Bloodstain on chest like map of violent new continent. Felt cleansed. Felt dark planet turn under my feet and knew what cats know that makes them scream like babies in night. Looked at sky through smoke heavy with human fat and God was not there. The cold, suffocating dark goes on forever and we are alone. Live our lives, lacking anything better to do. Devise reason later. Born from oblivion; bear children, hell-bound as ourselves, go into oblivion. There is nothing else. Existence is random. Has no pattern save what we imagine after staring at it for too long. No meaning save what we choose to impose. This rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It’s us. Only us. Streets stank of fire. The void breathed hard on my heart, turning its illusions to ice, shattering them. Was reborn then, free to scrawl own design on this morally blank world. Was Rorschach. Does that answer your questions, Doctor?"