Thread: Fiat 500 Commercial

Fiat 500 Commercial

In the last several days I've seen two Fiat 500 commercials on TV. The first one was a real shock to me, because I can't think of any time in the past when Fiat ran commercials on U.S. television. Also, the styling was a shocker, because it looked like a car from decades ago.
    Last edited by Andrew B.; 06-10-2011 at 03:35 AM.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I give 'em a 40 percent chance of making it.

Even in good times, it would have been hard to break into this market, which is already glutted with too many makes/models. But in bad times? And given Fiat doesn't have a particularly good rep here?

I would not bet on it....

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
    In the last several days I've seen two Fiat 500 commercials on TV. The first one was a real shock to me, because I can't think of any time in the past when Fiat ran commercials on U.S. television. Also, the styling was a shocker, because it looked like a car from decades ago.

I don't think they can make it on styling. I don't think retro Italian will work. As for price point, I don't know where they fall. There are a lot of cheap cars now.

OTOH, look at what Toyota did. They entered the U.S. market back when the "made in Japan" tag was considered the worst quality one could buy, in any product. Maybe Sixties mentality of anti-wealth and anti-establishment helped. I don't know. If I could figure this kind of thing out, I'd be rich.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    True, but one major advantage Toyota (and the rest) had at th time they entered the market was the market was still not fully exploited (it is now) and also the economy was not a disaster (ditto).

The one possibility is for Fiat to significantly undercut other compacts on price while equaling them on quality/desirability. But the Fiat 500 coupe, at $15,500 is priced about $2k above excellent competitors like the Ford Fiesta $13,200 and about $1,300 higher than a Mazda2 ($14,180). It is also nearly $6,000 more (!) than a Nissan Versa 1.6. Granted, the Versa 1.6 is a stripper... but still. $6k is a lotta coin.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
    I don't think they can make it on styling. I don't think retro Italian will work. As for price point, I don't know where they fall. There are a lot of cheap cars now.

OTOH, look at what Toyota did. They entered the U.S. market back when the "made in Japan" tag was considered the worst quality one could buy, in any product. Maybe Sixties mentality of anti-wealth and anti-establishment helped. I don't know. If I could figure this kind of thing out, I'd be rich.

[quote=Eric;133100]I give 'em a 40 percent chance of making it.quote]

Who would want to be seen in that? No self respecting Guido!

Good point. When Toyota came over the economy car category was barely tapped.