Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: PCV Valve

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wahiawa
    Posts
    587

    Unhappy PCV Valve

    What is the primary purpose of the PCV valve, anyone know?. How often should I change it, and is it vital to have it in operating condition?

    Another thing that has been on my mind is, the "High" blower on the A/C control panel do not work anymore, which I don't mind since my A/C is now non-operable, but I would like to have strong air blowing into the passenger compartment. The "medium" and "low" blower still works though. What should I check for, to remedy this situation?

  2. #2
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    You HAVE to have it. If it is not working you'll run the risk of popping gaskets.

    Positive crankcase ventilation: just relieves extra air pressure that is internally generated by the pistons and other moving parts (maybe some blow-by too).

    You can clean a PCV with some brake clean every so often if you want. It's a cheap part to replace too.

    What kind of switch do you have for the blower? Turn switch, or a digital rig?

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    To test your PCV valve - remove it, then shake. If you can hear the check-ball inside rattle, it's good. Otherwise clean it. If it still doesn't rattle, replace it (they're pretty cheap, as Dom said)

    Chip H.

  4. #4
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    What is the primary purpose of the PCV valve, anyone know?. How often should I change it, and is it vital to have it in operating condition?

    Another thing that has been on my mind is, the "High" blower on the A/C control panel do not work anymore, which I don't mind since my A/C is now non-operable, but I would like to have strong air blowing into the passenger compartment. The "medium" and "low" blower still works though. What should I check for, to remedy this situation?


    The PCV valve is cheap. I change mine every three years or so. You'll get a lot of oil in the air cleaner if it sticks closed. Basically, it controls the vapor flow between highway and local use.

    On your heater fan control, it sounds like the resistor block is going bad. I don't remember where it is on your car but it should be on the firewall somewhere and sticking into the air flow. Usually a couple of screws hold it in. If you pull it out and one of the wires is melted, thagt's the culprit.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  5. #5
    Senior Member eesquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    455
    As other guys can explain its purpose...I will just say that that's the first thing my husband changed on my Elky. He always checks the PCV valve when doing tuneups, or regular maintenance. They are really easy and fairly inexpensive to replace - heck if I can do it, anybody can do it.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Wahiawa
    Posts
    587

    Pcv

    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    To test your PCV valve - remove it, then shake. If you can hear the check-ball inside rattle, it's good. Otherwise clean it. If it still doesn't rattle, replace it (they're pretty cheap, as Dom said)

    Chip H.

    That valve must be very important for the optimum operation . Chilton"s covers over two whole pages on the subject.

    I checked it this morning and found out it rattles loud enough to convince me
    that it is still good enough to run it for a few more miles (I replaced it back in Sept of 2008, at 2,600 miles ago), but it is over two years ago, though. Should I replace it now?.

  7. #7
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,131
    Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    That valve must be very important for the optimum operation . Chilton"s covers over two whole pages on the subject.

    I checked it this morning and found out it rattles loud enough to convince me
    that it is still good enough to run it for a few more miles (I replaced it back in Sept of 2008, at 2,600 miles ago), but it is over two years ago, though. Should I replace it now?.

    Only 2600 miles, I wouldn't bother. Chiltons has to cover it because of uncle sammy. Basically, the PCV valve replaces the road pipe on older cars. In town, the valve opens and allows the fume from the crankcase to be sucked into the base of the carburetor. At higher engine speeds like on the highway, it closes and the fumes back up and go into the breather pipe and enter the air filter box to be diluted before getting burned in the engine. Either way the oil fumes get burned and not released into the atmosphere. That's why it's called positive.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

Similar Threads

  1. Kaw KL250 valve adjust
    By Eric in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-31-2010, 12:13 PM
  2. Kz900 valve clearance adjustment
    By Eric in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2010, 05:57 AM
  3. Legacy Gas Saver Valve Caps
    By DonTom in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-13-2009, 06:56 AM
  4. Valve stems recalled
    By chiph in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 09-07-2008, 10:04 AM
  5. EGR Valve
    By ChevyMan in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 02-19-2007, 07:09 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •