Thread: PCV Valve

Unhappy PCV Valve

What is the primary purpose of the PCV valve, anyone know?. How often should I change it, and is it vital to have it in operating condition?

Another thing that has been on my mind is, the "High" blower on the A/C control panel do not work anymore, which I don't mind since my A/C is now non-operable, but I would like to have strong air blowing into the passenger compartment. The "medium" and "low" blower still works though. What should I check for, to remedy this situation?

You HAVE to have it. If it is not working you'll run the risk of popping gaskets.

Positive crankcase ventilation: just relieves extra air pressure that is internally generated by the pistons and other moving parts (maybe some blow-by too).

You can clean a PCV with some brake clean every so often if you want. It's a cheap part to replace too.

What kind of switch do you have for the blower? Turn switch, or a digital rig?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

To test your PCV valve - remove it, then shake. If you can hear the check-ball inside rattle, it's good. Otherwise clean it. If it still doesn't rattle, replace it (they're pretty cheap, as Dom said)

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    What is the primary purpose of the PCV valve, anyone know?. How often should I change it, and is it vital to have it in operating condition?

Another thing that has been on my mind is, the "High" blower on the A/C control panel do not work anymore, which I don't mind since my A/C is now non-operable, but I would like to have strong air blowing into the passenger compartment. The "medium" and "low" blower still works though. What should I check for, to remedy this situation?

The PCV valve is cheap. I change mine every three years or so. You'll get a lot of oil in the air cleaner if it sticks closed. Basically, it controls the vapor flow between highway and local use.

On your heater fan control, it sounds like the resistor block is going bad. I don't remember where it is on your car but it should be on the firewall somewhere and sticking into the air flow. Usually a couple of screws hold it in. If you pull it out and one of the wires is melted, thagt's the culprit.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

As other guys can explain its purpose...I will just say that that's the first thing my husband changed on my Elky. He always checks the PCV valve when doing tuneups, or regular maintenance. They are really easy and fairly inexpensive to replace - heck if I can do it, anybody can do it.

Pcv

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    To test your PCV valve - remove it, then shake. If you can hear the check-ball inside rattle, it's good. Otherwise clean it. If it still doesn't rattle, replace it (they're pretty cheap, as Dom said)

Chip H.

That valve must be very important for the optimum operation . Chilton"s covers over two whole pages on the subject.

I checked it this morning and found out it rattles loud enough to convince me
    that it is still good enough to run it for a few more miles (I replaced it back in Sept of 2008, at 2,600 miles ago), but it is over two years ago, though. Should I replace it now?.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    That valve must be very important for the optimum operation . Chilton"s covers over two whole pages on the subject.

I checked it this morning and found out it rattles loud enough to convince me
    that it is still good enough to run it for a few more miles (I replaced it back in Sept of 2008, at 2,600 miles ago), but it is over two years ago, though. Should I replace it now?.

Only 2600 miles, I wouldn't bother. Chiltons has to cover it because of uncle sammy. Basically, the PCV valve replaces the road pipe on older cars. In town, the valve opens and allows the fume from the crankcase to be sucked into the base of the carburetor. At higher engine speeds like on the highway, it closes and the fumes back up and go into the breather pipe and enter the air filter box to be diluted before getting burned in the engine. Either way the oil fumes get burned and not released into the atmosphere. That's why it's called positive.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.