Thread: Question on gas/gas tanks??

Question on gas/gas tanks??

Remember the overheating thing with the El Camino? We thought we had it conquered, but....

Since it was being sent on a transport truck to our new home, I drove it till it was nearly out of gas before filling the tank just enough for the transport - 1/4 to 1/2 tank.

Before I refilled the tank, I experienced the same overheating issue as I was having before. Every time I drove it, it got hot.

My question is: could it be that the gas tank needs a thorough cleansing? Could there be some sludge or silt in the bottom of the tank that would cause the stat to stick or the sensor to think that the car is hot?

Just curious. Thoughts, please?

It would be the first time I heard of it. It's not a bad idea to get a mechanical oil pressure and water temperature gauge. Those dated electrical gauges you have may not be functioning correctly.

Have you changed the fuel filter?

If so, did it seem super dirty?
    Last edited by dom; 06-23-2011 at 09:10 PM. Reason: Hasty typing.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Remember the overheating thing with the El Camino? We thought we had it conquered, but....

Since it was being sent on a transport truck to our new home, I drove it till it was nearly out of gas before filling the tank just enough for the transport - 1/4 to 1/2 tank.

Before I refilled the tank, I experienced the same overheating issue as I was having before. Every time I drove it, it got hot.

My question is: could it be that the gas tank needs a thorough cleansing? Could there be some sludge or silt in the bottom of the tank that would cause the stat to stick or the sensor to think that the car is hot?

Just curious. Thoughts, please?

I have seen contaminated fuel cause engines to run hot. I know of one substance that will make a diesel engine run like a scalded dog. However, the pistons will be red hot while doing it and they will weld themselves in the cylinders when you shut it off. I won't say what in case someone wants to do it. Your temperature sensor is on the engine, the fuel tank has nothing to do with it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I had a car that did that. Never figured out what the cause was - traded the POS in. First time it did it, I was traveling home after retiring from the Air Force. I was about 2 hours from home and it was the 4th of july weekend. Had it towed to the local Olds dealer and got a rental (picture unloading and loading cars). I ended up having 3 dealerships and a friend look at it. Not sure how much I spent but they could never figure it out. It was fine at speed, but once I started driving in city traffic, it'd overheat and die. I wasn't ready to buy a new car, but I did. The next car was great other than it went through window motors faster than some folks changed underwear. Good luck.