Thread: Rearview mirror adhesive?

Question Rearview mirror adhesive?

I went out to get in my car yesterday ('01 Mountaineer), and my rearview mirror had fallen off. It was just hanging there by the electronics clip.

I think the extreme heat got to it and just melted the adhesive, so I need to reattach it.

I know I have to scrape off the old adhesive (from the metal button and the windshield glass) with a single-edge razor blade, and clean it thoroughly with alchohol before applying new adhesive.

My question is: Is there a particular brand that is better? eHow.com had an article that says the 2-step epoxy is the best, and to wait 24 hrs instead of 30 minutes before remounting the mirror. Ok - that makes sense. I just don't know if I am going to find a time when the temperature is down to the ideal 76 degrees~

I found an auto parts store that has a 3M adhesive 'kit', and also a 3M 2-part epoxy. Has anyone else used anything different? Better? Worse?

Input, please....

Two Part Adhesive

I must have done 100 of these when I worked at a dealership. Use some masking tape and tape the "puck" on there overnight. When you go out the next day to leave then put on the mirror.

Also...make sure it is extremely clean where you are mounting it. Use alcohol or nail polish remover and scrub the heck out of it.
    Last edited by Steve; 07-12-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: more info

Oh, okay. Thanks for the masking tape tip. I was wondering how to hold the button on there while the adhesive set. I was afraid it would not set in this heat.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Oh, okay. Thanks for the masking tape tip. I was wondering how to hold the button on there while the adhesive set. I was afraid it would not set in this heat.

If you haven't glued it on yet, assemble the button (mount) onto the mirror. Hold the mirror assembly up onto the windshield where you want it. Have your husband or child use a bar of soap on the outside of the glass to mark where the mounting button is located. When you get ready to mount it, the soap on the outside of the glass will show you exactly where to glue it. Most of the mounts I've attached required the use of alcohol on the glass to activate the epoxy. It will set within a minute or less. It will cure after 24 hours so you can mount the mirror.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks grouch. I was going to use a Sharpie on the outside of the glass, but soap sounds like a better idea.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Thanks grouch. I was going to use a Sharpie on the outside of the glass, but soap sounds like a better idea.

Sharpies are designed to leave a mark. If you forget the soap, it will come off when it rains and you use your wipers. I use sharpies to fill in paint nicks on black cars.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I've had better luck with general use two part epoxies than the designed for the task stuff. I don't know why, I would do it carefully either way and make sure all was clean, etc. Just worked out better for me.

The ink from Sharpies comes off if you use GooGone. I use it to cover scratches, too. The Mountaineer is a dark metallic blue, but for tiny scratches, Sharpie works well.