Thread: New Balance

Staff

New Balance

New Balance in danger of closing in the US.

http://bangordailynews.com/2011/07/2...er/?ref=latest

Seems like all manufacturing jobs are going to third world countries. Could anyone name six manufacturing jobs still being made in the good old U.S of A or for that matter England? I can say for sure one 100% Harley Davidson motorcycles but what else is there?

Staff
    this is particularly disturbing. I plan on purchasing as many New Balance shoes as I can before they close. This company is clearly trying to do the right thing and I applaud them for it. I do not want to wear foreign made athletic shoes.

Here's another company that will likely be hit by the repeal of the shoe tariff. They make awesome sandals for the hot weather we are having this summer.

http://www.okabashi.com/info/Made_in_USA

Made in the USA is available and competitive. It is a conspiracy that retailers are not stocking the shelves. I really hate the way this country is being run by discount stores and the idiots (like me) who shop there (although I minimize that...).

Until the US collapses, I plan on supporting real American manufacturers as much as possible, although it is growing increasingly difficult for them to stay alive.

I think it was PJ O'Rourke that said the only thing we make in the US anymore are Beer and Hookers.

I've been buying New Balance shoes for several years now, primarily because they were made in the USA. But also because I get a better fit than the foreign-made shoes.

I no longer buy Levi's jeans because their sizing is so whacked. Sadly, I'm buying the $20 Costco jeans because there just aren't any US-made jeans anymore, so I might as well go cheap.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    I've been buying New Balance shoes for several years now, primarily because they were made in the USA. But also because I get a better fit than the foreign-made shoes.

I no longer buy Levi's jeans because their sizing is so whacked. Sadly, I'm buying the $20 Costco jeans because there just aren't any US-made jeans anymore, so I might as well go cheap.

Chip H.
    There are actually quite a few choices for jeans. One good source can be found on this website.

http://www.allamericanclothing.com/

The other, I think is on

www.madeinusaforever.com

There are more, but I don't know right now.

All you have to do is google made in usa..... jeans or whatever you are looking for.

I hate to hear that. I like NB shoes - I own several pairs. What the article does not say is that not all of NB's shoes are produced in the U.S. I have seen some in stores that are "hecho en Chine". As someone else already posted, I usually get a better fit form the American-made NBs and that is why I buy them. Plus, they make shoes that can fit people with feet issues, such as an extremely high arch and instep like I have.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    this is particularly disturbing. I plan on purchasing as many New Balance shoes as I can before they close. This company is clearly trying to do the right thing and I applaud them for it. I do not want to wear foreign made athletic shoes.

Here's another company that will likely be hit by the repeal of the shoe tariff. They make awesome sandals for the hot weather we are having this summer.

http://www.okabashi.com/info/Made_in_USA

Made in the USA is available and competitive. It is a conspiracy that retailers are not stocking the shelves. I really hate the way this country is being run by discount stores and the idiots (like me) who shop there (although I minimize that...).

Until the US collapses, I plan on supporting real American manufacturers as much as possible, although it is growing increasingly difficult for them to stay alive.
    I love Okabashi shoes. I think I have 5 pairs.

Here is another shoe manufacturer whose shoes are made in the U.S.:

http://www.munroshoes.com/

And, I think Merrell shoes used to be made in the U.S., but I'm not sure if they still are.

Aren't Rockports made in the U.S.?

Anyone read the follow-up article in September? About the Michaud bill?

Anyone else find it ironic that the DoD is actively trying to skirt laws about buying American shoes?

I've never had acceptable longevity out of NB shoes, compared to equivalent Nike or Reebok. No great loss if they fail. Except for the employees.

I hadn't seen a made in the USA pair of NB in my size in ages... thought they had closed down in the USA. But I hate these articles that blame 'free trade' it's not free trade, it's been managed trade, managed to close US factories. Then there is inflation, which makes us all poorer so production moves overseas to hold price points, making us poorer yet. Throw on top of this a multitude of other issues and laws designed to prevent new manufacturing (competition to existing interests) and people wonder why things are the way are.