Thread: Check Engine Light on (code P0432)

Question Check Engine Light on (code P0432)

My CEL came on today in my Dakota. Took it down to Autozone to have it tested and they're showing code P0432. The guy down there said the Catalytic Converter is bad. However after reading the description of the print out and reading up on the code online, I'm seeing it could also be an oxygen sensor on bank 2. I'm going to call the dealer I bought the truck from tomorrow since I've only had the truck about a week and a half, to see if I can talk them in to having it repaired for me. However if they refuse to fix it (I can't make them as it only has powertrain warranty only), should I replace the O2 sensor or Cat first, or just take it to a shop and let them figure out which is wrong with it?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

First off, the code only tells you where the problem is. You have to find why it was set. I've got a top of the line reader that does testing in real time but even it only tells you where to look.

If your truck is less than 75,000 miles, there is a federal warranty on the emissions system. Most likely your sensor has gone bad. However, it could be your converter, especially if this is the down stream sensor. All the code is really telling you though is the computer saw something out of specification and it set a code to record it. The light tells you to look at it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Well unfortunately the truck is way over any federal warranty as it has a 159K miles on it. I spoke to the sales manager today at the dealership I bought it from and he told me to take it back to the shop that does all there mechanical work. So I called them and I take the truck in Friday. So it looks like the dealer might take care of it for me, which I hope so at least. Saves me a big hassle.
    Last edited by bikerlbf406; 08-08-2011 at 04:02 PM.

Catalyst operation is checked by down stream O2 sensors. For whatever reason the computer got signals it doesn't like from the downstream sensor. With codes like this I reset the MIL and see if they return before doing anything. Some have never returned. The ones that did, I fixed.

In this case it's either the cat or one of the two O2 sensors for that bank. I suppose the forward one might be reading wrong as well causing a bad comparison. That's not so likely.

Well the dealership I bought the truck from told me to take it in to a local shop that does all of their warranty work. Took it in this morning and about 4 hours later received a call from them saying its the right side catalytic converter is bad and that I would have to take it to an exhaust shop as it would have to be cut off and a new one welded in place. So I called the dealer back and they told me to go ahead and set up an appointment with a local exhaust shop. Called them and I take it in Monday morning. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. At least the dealer is going to go ahead and do it under warranty for free, even though the actual warranty the truck came with is powertrain coverage only.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Well the dealership I bought the truck from told me to take it in to a local shop that does all of their warranty work. Took it in this morning and about 4 hours later received a call from them saying its the right side catalytic converter is bad and that I would have to take it to an exhaust shop as it would have to be cut off and a new one welded in place. So I called the dealer back and they told me to go ahead and set up an appointment with a local exhaust shop. Called them and I take it in Monday morning. Hopefully that will take care of the problem. At least the dealer is going to go ahead and do it under warranty for free, even though the actual warranty the truck came with is powertrain coverage only.

It sounds like you've found a reputable dealer. I've got a dealer I've bought several cars from over the years. We've become good friends and he will tell you what's wrong with a car if he knows. He gets a lot of customers that other dealers have ripped off and lost as a customer.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

At least the dealer is going to go ahead and do it under warranty for free, even though the actual warranty the truck came with is powertrain coverage only.
    That really is good news.
    Trevor

Well its been almost an entire week that the truck has been at the shop. I've yet to get it back. They claimed that all 3 cats and the precat were bad. So they had to call the dealership to get authorization, and that didn't happen until Wednesday at the sales manager who is the one authorizing all the repairs don't work on Tuesdays. He decided to get the parts himself and deliver them to the shop, and he screwed up and delivered the parts for California emissions & it has federal emissions. So now I'm waiting for him to get the new parts and deliver them to the shop. Hopefully I'll get the truck back sometime this coming week, and I won't have anymore problems with it. I kind of doubt that everything is truly bad, but since I ain't paying for any of it, I ain't worrying about it. Afterall, the worst that happens is they replace a part that don't need it and hopefully means one less part I have to worry about going bad later on. As long as it takes care of the check engine light, that's my only concern.

Well its been almost an entire week that the truck has been at the shop. I've yet to get it back. They claimed that all 3 cats and the precat were bad. So they had to call the dealership to get authorization, and that didn't happen until Wednesday at the sales manager who is the one authorizing all the repairs don't work on Tuesdays. He decided to get the parts himself and deliver them to the shop, and he screwed up and delivered the parts for California emissions & it has federal emissions. So now I'm waiting for him to get the new parts and deliver them to the shop. Hopefully I'll get the truck back sometime this coming week, and I won't have anymore problems with it. I kind of doubt that everything is truly bad, but since I ain't paying for any of it, I ain't worrying about it. Afterall, the worst that happens is they replace a part that don't need it and hopefully means one less part I have to worry about going bad later on. As long as it takes care of the check engine light, that's my only concern.
    That's what happens when the Monkey tries to do the work that should be done by the Grease-Monkey.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Well I got some bad news today. The dealership won't cover the whole repair bill being its $700 and not covered under the warranty. The owner originally wasn't going to cover any of it, but the sales manager did talk the owner in to paying half of it as I've bought several vehicles from them and my brother and parents both bought their last vehicles from there. I don't have $350 in cash to help pay the bill though, so the car lot is going to pay the whole bill and let me split it up and pay the car lot back in 2 or 3 monthly installments. So at least they're willing to work with me some, which is better then what they have to do and better then what some car lots I know will do. I was hoping to go to a concert in September, but I don't see that happening now. Oh well. I'm just hoping and praying this is all the work that the truck will need for a while.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Hi Tim,

I've gotta be straight with you and give you an honest opinion...

It's usually not a good idea to buy a high-miles, "modern" (computer-controlled) pick-up or SUV... there's just too much that can - and will - go wrong and they often become money pits, putting you in the position of having to spend large amounts of money on a vehicle that's not worth much and won't be worth more once you do fix it - and which will still be likely to have something else go wrong soon thereafter.

Especially if you can't fix these problems yourself. Seriously.

I think you'd be much better off getting rid of this tired old truck (which was a not-so-great truck when it was new) and buying a lower-miles economy sedan along the lines of a 5-7 year old Corolla with 60,000 or so miles on it. A car like that would only cost you a bit more than you spent on your Dakota and would probably give you no trouble for another 100,000 miles.

Also: Screw spending money on things like aftermarket wheels and so on. It's a completely unnecessary expense and leaves you without the extra money to deal with the necessary ones....

Just saying....

Well I got some bad news today. The dealership won't cover the whole repair bill being its $700 and not covered under the warranty. The owner originally wasn't going to cover any of it, but the sales manager did talk the owner in to paying half of it as I've bought several vehicles from them and my brother and parents both bought their last vehicles from there. I don't have $350 in cash to help pay the bill though, so the car lot is going to pay the whole bill and let me split it up and pay the car lot back in 2 or 3 monthly installments. So at least they're willing to work with me some, which is better then what they have to do and better then what some car lots I know will do. I was hoping to go to a concert in September, but I don't see that happening now. Oh well. I'm just hoping and praying this is all the work that the truck will need for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hi Tim,

I've gotta be straight with you and give you an honest opinion...

It's usually not a good idea to buy a high-miles, "modern" (computer-controlled) pick-up or SUV... there's just too much that can - and will - go wrong and they often become money pits, putting you in the position of having to spend large amounts of money on a vehicle that's not worth much and won't be worth more once you do fix it - and which will still be likely to have something else go wrong soon thereafter.

Especially if you can't fix these problems yourself. Seriously.

I think you'd be much better off getting rid of this tired old truck (which was a not-so-great truck when it was new) and buying a lower-miles economy sedan along the lines of a 5-7 year old Corolla with 60,000 or so miles on it. A car like that would only cost you a bit more than you spent on your Dakota and would probably give you no trouble for another 100,000 miles.

Also: Screw spending money on things like aftermarket wheels and so on. It's a completely unnecessary expense and leaves you without the extra money to deal with the necessary ones....

Just saying....
    I appreciate your opinion, however I don't want a small car. I'd rather keep my Dakota and take my chances. However, I won't be doing no aftermarket upgrades such as wheels or anything to it. This is my 4th Dakota, and personally I think they're pretty good trucks, even onces like mine that are 10 years old and higher mileage.

You could always get those MIL eliminator / O2 eliminator thingies that BrentP talked about. That is only for off road use though and would give you issues if you have emission inspections.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    You could always get those MIL eliminator / O2 eliminator thingies that BrentP talked about. That is only for off road use though and would give you issues if you have emission inspections.

Thanks for the input Dom, but that isn't happening for me as it wouldn't pass emissions that I'm required every two years. I'd rather just hope and pray the light stays off for a long while, and fix it when it does come back on, if and when that is. I really don't suspect the Dakota as being a money pit yet, and hope I'm right and hopefully won't have any more problems out of it.