Thread: Annual ride

Annual ride

Did my annual pilgrimage to Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain National Park this morning.

With one exception the ride was great. However I got a few cars behind a flatlander from Budfugsville who was trailering what looked like an apartment house. Well the old gentlemen obviously didn't know what the pull offs were for and by the time I found a place, even with double yellow lines, to get around him there were easily 20 cars lined up behind us.

Other than that it is as lovely up there as I remembered. Kinda cool, did have to zip a few vents closed but still an absolute joy.

This is my #1 ride suggestion for those visiting the Denver area. However there are turns in there that say 10 to 15 MPH. These need to be heeded as with the amount of sand that those corners get whoopsies on bikes are not uncommon.

"Tis a privilege to live in Colorado"

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post
    Did my annual pilgrimage to Trail Ridge Road, Rocky Mountain National Park this morning.

This is my #1 ride suggestion for those visiting the Denver area. However there are turns in there that say 10 to 15 MPH. These need to be heeded as with the amount of sand that those corners get whoopsies on bikes are not uncommon.

"Tis a privilege to live in Colorado"
    Hey, JP, glad you got your ride in. That must have been some trailer if you couldn't get past it on a 'bike. Here in Lincolnshire there seems to be a genetic propensity, for county locals, to get as close as possible to the vehicle in front as soon as a queue develops (usually caused by a tractor or a slow moving caravan). This, of course, means that no-one has allowed any room to accelerate to overtaking speed, no-one can overtake the car in front and slot in, because there is no slot to get in to. Tractor drivers are usually OK and will pull in to the verge or a lay-by to let traffic past every couple of miles or so. Caravan drivers, mainly doing 40 in a 60, just hog the road totally oblivious of the tailback of vehicles behind them. Frustrating or what?

Your safety tip at the end was a good idea - with any luck it may save somebody who reads this forum from an unnecessary spill.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-11-2011 at 07:16 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Yep, thats one of our favorite rides. Add a trip up Mt Evans and its a perfect day in Colorado. This flatlander has no problem with the twisties but the air on Mt Evans left us sucking wind....

Yep, thats one of our favorite rides. Add a trip up Mt Evans and its a perfect day in Colorado. This flatlander has no problem with the twisties but the air on Mt Evans left us sucking wind
    ================================================== =====
    This flatlander has no problem with the twisties but the air on Mt Evans left us sucking wind....

That does get to be a problem with our altitude. If one is riding here from a lower altitude then the change is gradual and a bit easier to get around. People flying here have a bigger shock when getting off the airplane from sea level and then stepping out at a mile high. I know instances of people coming up skiing, fly to Denver and immediately get on another plane to Eagle-Vail airport. They get up there, get off the plane and take a nose dive to the pavement.

Riding from Denver to Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak can be challenging as one is going from one mile high to almost double that. However once up there it's really worth it as the view is spectacular.

However once up there it's really worth it as the view is spectacular.

Amen. However, that was as close to a divorce as I'll ever be. When we got to the top, Linda cussed at me and told me she was not riding back down. She had to ride it as I didn't have a way back up to get her bike....

However once up there it's really worth it as the view is spectacular.

Amen. However, that was as close to a divorce as I'll ever be. When we got to the top, Linda cussed at me and told me she was not riding back down. She had to ride it as I didn't have a way back up to get her bike....
    =================================================

Then I'd not recommend the ride up Pike's Peak

However, if you're in the neighborhood and looking for someone to ride up there with you....

Be prepared to come back with a dirty bike as parts of the road, last time up there, are not paved and are always wet and muddy.

There is a cog railroad that Linda could take up and meet us there for the photo opportunity

Be prepared to come back with a dirty bike as parts of the road, last time up there, are not paved and are always wet and muddy.

There is a cog railroad that Linda could take up and meet us there for the photo opportunity

LOL, that was many years ago. She's since road the Dalton Hwy to Prudoe Bay, AK and you don't get any dusty & muddier than that. On our recent trip to Anamosa, IA, one of our riders had a little accident and broke her elbow. Linda stepped up and rode Trudy's new Ultra limited from St. Louis to Anamosa and back to Daytona. She will get her HOG 100,000 mile patch as soon as I turn the paperwork in.

LOL, that was many years ago. She's since road the Dalton Hwy to Prudoe Bay, AK and you don't get any dusty & muddier than that. On our recent trip to Anamosa, IA, one of our riders had a little accident and broke her elbow. Linda stepped up and rode Trudy's new Ultra limited from St. Louis to Anamosa and back to Daytona. She will get her HOG 100,000 mile patch as soon as I turn the paperwork in.
    ======================================
    Bravo Linda!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post
    On our recent trip to Anamosa, IA, one of our riders had a little accident and broke her elbow. Linda stepped up and rode Trudy's new Ultra limited from St. Louis to Anamosa and back to Daytona. She will get her HOG 100,000 mile patch as soon as I turn the paperwork in.
    My respect, Ma'am!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post
    Yep, thats one of our favorite rides. Add a trip up Mt Evans and its a perfect day in Colorado. This flatlander has no problem with the twisties but the air on Mt Evans left us sucking wind
    This flatlander has no problem with the twisties but the air on Mt Evans left us sucking wind....

That does get to be a problem with our altitude. If one is riding here from a lower altitude then the change is gradual and a bit easier to get around. People flying here have a bigger shock when getting off the airplane from sea level and then stepping out at a mile high. I know instances of people coming up skiing, fly to Denver and immediately get on another plane to Eagle-Vail airport. They get up there, get off the plane and take a nose dive to the pavement.

Riding from Denver to Mt. Evans or Pikes Peak can be challenging as one is going from one mile high to almost double that. However once up there it's really worth it as the view is spectacular.

My first time in Colorado,( the year you went down on that 100,000 foot ride) the first pass we hit was Wolf Creek pass. If I remember correctly, it is around 14,000 feet. We parked the bikes in front of the big wooden continental divide sign. I walked across the street and took a picture. By the time I walked back to my bike I had to sit down because I was not used to the thin air at that altitude.
    Riding up to the pass was no problem but going down the other side made me feel light headed which was kind of scary. Every pass I went through on that trip had that effect but every time I've been back since then it has not been a problem. Colorado is definatly one of my favorite states to ride in.

My first time in Colorado,( the year you went down on that 100,000 foot ride) the first pass we hit was Wolf Creek pass. If I remember correctly, it is around 14,000 feet. We parked the bikes in front of the big wooden continental divide sign. I walked across the street and took a picture. By the time I walked back to my bike I had to sit down because I was not used to the thin air at that altitude.
    Riding up to the pass was no problem but going down the other side made me feel light headed which was kind of scary. Every pass I went through on that trip had that effect but every time I've been back since then it has not been a problem. Colorado is definatly one of my favorite states to ride in
    ====
    ,( the year you went down on that 100,000 foot ride)

Wow, hadn't thought about that in years. Just goes to show that even a native can have problems with altitude changes.