Thread: Adding XM to my Sonata

Adding XM to my Sonata

I bought my 2007 Sonata in Sept 2006 before they made XM standard (started about 6-8 months later). At that time, I had a portable XM radio that used the FM interface. All was well until this last year when it started dying on me, even with a new antenna and power bracket. I bought a new one. Uh Oh. Doesn't work the same way. You need an aux in cable or some sort of fancy addition (which is naturally out of stock) to make it work. The radio doesn't come with an aux plug. I talked to the parts guy at the Hyundai dealership and he's had this question come up frequently. He says they have a proprietary wiring harness and that to do something like that, you'd have to splice into the wiring harness to make it work. I asked if they had a replacement radio that could slip in there and he said they didn't. Anyone have any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776 View Post
    I bought my 2007 Sonata in Sept 2006 before they made XM standard (started about 6-8 months later). At that time, I had a portable XM radio that used the FM interface. All was well until this last year when it started dying on me, even with a new antenna and power bracket. I bought a new one. Uh Oh. Doesn't work the same way. You need an aux in cable or some sort of fancy addition (which is naturally out of stock) to make it work. The radio doesn't come with an aux plug. I talked to the parts guy at the Hyundai dealership and he's had this question come up frequently. He says they have a proprietary wiring harness and that to do something like that, you'd have to splice into the wiring harness to make it work. I asked if they had a replacement radio that could slip in there and he said they didn't. Anyone have any advice?

Go to a custom aftermarket audio shop. They will have all sorts of radios and also have the harness to plug into the factory wiring. You can also try online with CustomAutosound. The dealer may not have it but I'll bet somebody makes the harness.

When you go with an aftermarket radio, you have a LOT of options. Quite a few are satellite ready. I bought one for a motorcycle that didn't have a CD player but does have a USB flash drive plug. It also has an auxiliary input jack. This is a cheapie. You can get some really deluxe jobs that do anything and everything you want. I'd pass on one with a TV/DVD player in it though. That can get you an expensive ticket.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks! I'd actually done that a couple of years ago, but had a fear of commitment . Now I am going to have to do that if I want my XM. May get Navigation too . Just have to search around.