Thread: Tire Opinion

Tire Opinion

I have a 2006 Volvo XC-90 T6 AWD - about 5,000 lbs.

It has a 90/10 AWD system. Seems to chew up tires (especially the front) about every 25,000 miles!

The original tires 235/18 R60 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4

Tire rack has some others like Goodyear Eagle RS-A

I'm not really pleased with the Michelin, they don't have execptional traction in the snow, nor do they seem to wear well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Up your way you should probably look at a separate set of wheels with dedicated snow tires on them. Change to the snow tire set for the winter months and change back to the original wheels and tires in the spring. Car and Driver is based in Michigan and has used that approach with its long-term test cars for years, and Tire Rack can help you with that.

Strictly my opinion, but I've had bad experiences with Goodyear tires and would not recommend them. Check to see if Dunlop or Goodrich has your size for the normal street tire. Continental might be another possibility.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I have a 2006 Volvo XC-90 T6 AWD - about 5,000 lbs.

It has a 90/10 AWD system. Seems to chew up tires (especially the front) about every 25,000 miles!

The original tires 235/18 R60 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4

Tire rack has some others like Goodyear Eagle RS-A

I'm not really pleased with the Michelin, they don't have execptional traction in the snow, nor do they seem to wear well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
    From what I can tell 25k is pretty good on an XC-90. General mileages achieved seem to be between 14k and 24K. Bilzzak DM23s seem to be recommended for heavy snow duty and for an all season tire you could look at the Yokohama Parada series. I have seen that reducing the toe out on the front of the XC-90 to -0.06 to match the setting at the rear, can make a good difference to the mileage. Might be worth investigating

(I'd love to get 25K out of the front tires on my Carina E - 15K is about the best I get with tracking set to full Toyota spec.)

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-18-2011 at 11:36 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

It's a bit of a generalisation, as I have no experience of the specific tyres or application, but I suspect you may not get the same mileage out of Goodyears - Michelin tend to be longer-lasting than other brands, sometimes at the sacrifice of grip.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
    It's a bit of a generalisation, as I have no experience of the specific tyres or application, but I suspect you may not get the same mileage out of Goodyears - Michelin tend to be longer-lasting than other brands, sometimes at the sacrifice of grip.
    Back in the day when I ran Mini Coopers I used to get good grip from the Goodyear Grand Prix but they only lasted about 4000 miles before needing replacing. My colleague in his hotted up Anglia would get nigh on 40K miles from his Michelins before he replaced them. They didn't have the grip of the Goodyears but lasted forever. On the tweaked Cortinas one of the Pirelli tires - damned if I can rmember which one, might have been the Cinturato, was fast becoming the favorite for grip and reasonable wear.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Staff
    If you can find the size, I would try Bridgstone Turanza Serenity tires. they are quiet and have a big mileage warranty. I am using them on my 3800 lb jag. They are excellent and show no signs of wear after 10,000 miles.

I went to Tire Rack - they have lots of reviews - the problem is many of the reviews have very mixed opinions.

Thanks for your personal opinons, I'm looking in to your suggestions.