Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Motorcycle Tire change

  1. #1
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606

    Thumbs down Motorcycle Tire change

    Holy smokes..

    So I purchased a tire buster and a balancer for my motorcycle.

    Today I changed out the back tire and tomorrow I will do the front.

    It was not fun, but was my first time doing it.

    At the rate I go through tires it's more cost-efficient to do it myself.

    Buster $80
    Balancer $80
    Spoons $30
    Plastic protectors $15
    Last edited by dom; 08-21-2011 at 09:52 PM. Reason: Added MC to the title.

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  2. #2
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Holy smokes..

    So I purchased a tire buster and a balancer for my motorcycle.

    Today I changed out the back tire and tomorrow I will do the front.

    It was not fun, but was my first time doing it.

    At the rate I go through tires it's more cost-efficient to do it myself.

    Buster $80
    Balancer $80
    Spoons $30
    Plastic protectors $15
    Have patience, Grasshopper, and heed the great words of wisdom 'Practice will make perfect - tire change, front or back, in fifteen minutes, coffee included.'

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  3. #3
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    I am about to start dosing myself with coffee then get outside for the day. I have the bike in the lift, but will not be able to keep the front wheel vised in for the removal. Gonna lower it and get to work. Round two should be more easy.

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Oldfrtbkr's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    268
    Holy smokes..

    So I purchased a tire buster and a balancer for my motorcycle.

    Today I changed out the back tire and tomorrow I will do the front.

    It was not fun, but was my first time doing it.

    At the rate I go through tires it's more cost-efficient to do it myself.

    Buster $80
    Balancer $80
    Spoons $30
    Plastic protectors $15

    ================================================== =====

    Holy Moly Batman! That takes me back to my teen hood when I put my self through school greasing trucks and busting tires. Fear not as the more you do the job the easier it becomes. At least you're not out in a parking lot, January, in Northern Pennsylvania.

  5. #5
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Have patience, Grasshopper, and heed the great words of wisdom 'Practice will make perfect - tire change, front or back, in fifteen minutes, coffee included.'

    Ken.


    It takes a good 20 minutes to get my front wheel off and nearly an hour for the back one on my Concours.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  6. #6
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    OMG DONE..

    I just got back from taking it for a test drive. Took it easy for the first 25 miles then got on the highway to speed test my balance job. Took it to 100mph and it did excellent. The tires still feel a bit slippery though. After doing my first tire the second was that much easier. The curve is pretty short, but it's a decent amount of work. It easily took me an hour to bust and install the rear tire. The front tire was half that time. I cleaned the rims while it was all apart, repacked the bears, installed new seal, and wire wheeled some odds and end while I had stuff apart. It was pretty much a two day event with a bunch off random yard/house work in between the breaks.

    Pictures uploading now..

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  7. #7
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606



















    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  8. #8
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606



















    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  9. #9
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606



    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  10. #10
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    It takes a good 20 minutes to get my front wheel off and nearly an hour for the back one on my Concours.
    SSh! don't tell Dom, he likes a challenge. (It takes my shop about an hour, maybe a bit less, to change and balance both tires on a ride in-ride out basis.)

    Hey, Dom - good pics that's what we need. I finished my camera mount yesterday - haven't tried it yet. Went to update my article and all my piccies were so blurred they were useless. Don't know why yet but what I thought was the 'Intelligent Auto Focus' symbol turned out to be an 'Unable to Focus' warning. D'oh!

    Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 08-22-2011 at 05:10 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  11. #11
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    @Ken

    Are you trying to take still pictures from your bike?

    Have you tried video?

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  12. #12
    Senior Member Mithrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    256

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    SSh! don't tell Dom, he likes a challenge. (It takes my shop about an hour, maybe a bit less, to change and balance both tires on a ride in-ride out basis.)

    Hey, Dom - good pics that's what we need. I finished my camera mount yesterday - haven't tried it yet. Went to update my article and all my piccies were so blurred they were useless. Don't know why yet but what I thought was the 'Intelligent Auto Focus' symbol turned out to be an 'Unable to Focus' warning. D'oh!

    Ken.
    Ken,

    If your camera mount is an SLR, I would recommend manually setting the lens to get the focus you want.

    With my lens (Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4), I would probably try to set it at: 400 iso, F-8 and try to get a shutter speed of 1/30 second or faster.
    Available light
    would cause me to adjust settings as needed to get the best image.

    A higher f-stop will give you a deeper depth of field, but you will need a slower shutter speed or a higher iso speed to compensate for less light.

    If there is no motion you can get away with a slower shutter speed.

    (If you are already familiar with camera settings then kindly disregard the above.)

    Dom,

    Nice pictures. Are the prices you state the cost of the equipment or how much to have the work done at a local shop?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dom
    Buster $80
    Balancer $80
    Spoons $30
    Plastic protectors $15
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

    'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

    What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

    Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

  13. #13
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Those are the prices of the tools I purchased to do the job.

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  14. #14
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post

    Ken,

    If your camera mount is an SLR, I would recommend manually setting the lens to get the focus you want.

    With my lens (Pentax-FA 50mm F1.4), I would probably try to set it at: 400 iso, F-8 and try to get a shutter speed of 1/30 second or faster.
    Available light would cause me to adjust settings as needed to get the best image.

    A higher f-stop will give you a deeper depth of field, but you will need a slower shutter speed or a higher iso speed to compensate for less light.

    If there is no motion you can get away with a slower shutter speed.

    (If you are already familiar with camera settings then kindly disregard the above.)
    Mithran; My camera is a digital, 7 Mpixels, Fuji S5700. Usually for working photos I just stick it on 'Auto' and get lovely clear crisp shots. For some reason all the pics I took of the build of the latest video camera mount, were blurred. I must find a bit of time and go through all the settings - if there is nothing odd there then the Auto Focus has packed up and it can go back to Fuji.

    Dom; The 'bike' camera is a miniature video camera (D 001 Mini DV) that I want to use for track-day (and club ride-out) videos. To get it to work as well as I want I need to build a vibration proof mount. To pass the scrutineers at the track it must be mounted either within the screen area (no can do on a CBR6RR) or be mounted on the forward fairing. Building mounts is the easy bit, I am now on the fourth iteration as all previous models resonate at various engine speeds. Annoyingly my tank mounted video camera (A Panasonic SDR-S15) produces good vibration free videos, as shown in On Two Wheels, but is not acceptable to the scrutineers.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Similar Threads

  1. New tire time?
    By RebelKnightCSA in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2012, 09:53 AM
  2. Tire Gages
    By ChevyMan in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-02-2011, 05:48 AM
  3. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 12-10-2010, 06:23 PM
  4. Change motorcycle tire
    By dom in forum How-To
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-23-2010, 05:38 AM
  5. Tire psi?
    By DonTom in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-20-2007, 11:19 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •