Thread: Newest Acquisition

Newest Acquisition

Like we don't have enough cars already....<sigh>. Hubby wanted a 'cruiser' so we can go tootling around town on Sunday drives. He just bought this 1968 Plymouth Fury convertible.

Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Like we don't have enough cars already....<sigh>. Hubby wanted a 'cruiser' so we can go tootling around town on Sunday drives. He just bought this 1968 Plymouth Fury convertible.

Ho-hum - we have a 'Tony' car for cruisin, we also use it for shopping, long distance runs and visiting friends. Why a 'Tony' car, because its T'ony one we got.

Khen.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

At least it's a '68, not a '67. The cars were pretty much the same but the tail lights got broken easily on the '67. What engine do you have? Big or small block. If it's got a 318, which one does it have? That was the year the A and LA engines were both used.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Ho-hum - we have a 'Tony' car for cruisin, we also use it for shopping, long distance runs and visiting friends. Why a 'Tony' car, because its T'ony one we got.

Khen.
    Tony car?...hee hee.
    I feel like the proverbial mechanic's wife: Everybody's car in town runs great....except hers. I guess that will be my daily driver while the Elky is in the hospital. That is, if I can pry the keys out of Hubby's fingers.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    At least it's a '68, not a '67. The cars were pretty much the same but the tail lights got broken easily on the '67. What engine do you have? Big or small block. If it's got a 318, which one does it have? That was the year the A and LA engines were both used.
    I have no idea. Hubby bought it. I guess we'll find out when he gets it home~

Tony car?...hee hee.
    I feel like the proverbial mechanic's wife: Everybody's car in town runs great....except hers. I guess that will be my daily driver while the Elky is in the hospital. That is, if I can pry the keys out of Hubby's fingers.

On the contrary, the spouse of a mechanic will have a good running car. You don't want to buy the mechanics old ride as he will let minor things go until they break as he knows he can fix it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Need bigger pictures! I wanna see this unit!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

When hubby lets you, look under the hood. If the distributor is in back, you have a small block. If it's in front, you have a big block. If it only has one valve cover, you have a six banger although I can't see a Fury convertible having one of those. I have seen Fury I sedans with them though.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Honestly it's a dinosaur ,however to each there own.

Hubby says it has a 450 in it. It has already been redone.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Need bigger pictures! I wanna see this unit!
    I'll post more pics when he gets it home and closer to my camera. I'm kind of excited about peeking under the hood myself~

Hubby called after picking it up yesterday. He said it is a biiigg car - 18 1/2 feet long. It has already been rebuilt. He said something about a Mopar engine...I think it has a 450 in it.

When hubby lets you, look under the hood. If the distributor is in back, you have a small block. If it's in front, you have a big block. If it only has one valve cover, you have a six banger although I can't see a Fury convertible having one of those. I have seen Fury I sedans with them though.
    I'm guessing since it's a 450, it has a big block? I have not had the opportunity to peek under the hood yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Honestly it's a dinosaur ,however to each there own.
    hee hee...Yes, it is a dinosaur. But it has already been redone. Hubby says it drives nice - just like a boat on wheels~

Heck if I had some extra and mean plenty of extra coin,I'd get a giant monster like that paint it red and terrorize the highways like that Stephen King classic about an out of control killer car. Ask hubby how many miles to the gallon he gets ? I'm getting maybe 7 miles?

I'm guessing since it's a 450, it has a big block? I have not had the opportunity to peek under the hood yet.

Being a 1968, it's probably a 440. It could be a 383. They look the same but are not quite the same engine. The 440 is a raised deck engine and the 383 is a low deck. Chrysler did that to make a lower hood profile. Either engine will have the distributor in the front.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Heck if I had some extra and mean plenty of extra coin,I'd get a giant monster like that paint it red and terrorize the highways like that Stephen King classic about an out of control killer car. Ask hubby how many miles to the gallon he gets ? I'm getting maybe 7 miles?
    Hubby drove it through the mountain roads of Virginia and WV and he said it takes those mountain roads like a dream - no struggle at all. I do not know about the gas mileage. He stopped to visit family on the way home, and he is going scavenging for a spare wheel tomorrow since no spare came with the car. He is also going to check out some other stuff on it before he heads the rest of the way to Texas. I'm sure he will check the mileage, but I'll remind him anyway.

Some of my nephew's college buddies were trying to guess how many bodies you could fit in the trunk. They decided five would fit in there with no problem.

Being a 1968, it's probably a 440. It could be a 383. They look the same but are not quite the same engine. The 440 is a raised deck engine and the 383 is a low deck. Chrysler did that to make a lower hood profile. Either engine will have the distributor in the front.
    ahhh...ok, then. I probably misheard him and it probably is the 440. thanks~

Hubby drove it through the mountain roads of Virginia and WV and he said it takes those mountain roads like a dream - no struggle at all. I do not know about the gas mileage. He stopped to visit family on the way home, and he is going scavenging for a spare wheel tomorrow since no spare came with the car. He is also going to check out some other stuff on it before he heads the rest of the way to Texas. I'm sure he will check the mileage, but I'll remind him anyway.

Some of my nephew's college buddies were trying to guess how many bodies you could fit in the trunk. They decided five would fit in there with no problem.

Tell hubby he can use any Ford or Mopar wheel that is 15 inches and has the standard 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. This was used from the 50's up through 1988 on RWD passenger cars from Mopar and into the early 90's on Ford cars.
    I can tell you from experience, you can sneak 4 people into a drive in with one of these in the trunk.
    One thing I like about Chrysler product up to about 1990 is the interchangability of parts.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Tell hubby he can use any Ford or Mopar wheel that is 15 inches and has the standard 5 on 4 1/2 bolt pattern. This was used from the 50's up through 1988 on RWD passenger cars from Mopar and into the early 90's on Ford cars.
    I can tell you from experience, you can sneak 4 people into a drive in with one of these in the trunk.
    One thing I like about Chrysler product up to about 1990 is the interchangability of parts.
    Thanks Grouch. He found a wheel at the salvage yard and got a tire, so he has a spare now.

Thanks Grouch. He found a wheel at the salvage yard and got a tire, so he has a spare now.

The only thing to watch for is Mopar wheels are lug centric. A lot of Ford wheels are hub centric. He needs to try the wheel onto the front hub. If it slides on okay and he can tighten the lug nuts, it's okay. If it sticks, you can sand the center out to clear the hub.
    Honk if you love Jesus.