Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Battery recommendations

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429

    Battery recommendations

    I want to replace my Volvo XC-90 battery - the current one is 5 yrs old. The battery needs to be able to be connected to a vent hose.

    Volvo wants $240 for a genuine 'Volvo' battery. I found an Interstate for $150. Optima doesn't make a battery for my vehicle.

    Anyone have a brand to recommend?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I want to replace my Volvo XC-90 battery - the current one is 5 yrs old. The battery needs to be able to be connected to a vent hose.

    Volvo wants $240 for a genuine 'Volvo' battery. I found an Interstate for $150. Optima doesn't make a battery for my vehicle.

    Anyone have a brand to recommend?
    Why? - why not use a zero maintenance, ventless, battery? If the size and capacity are right what difference would it make?

    Having said that, I have been looking at Volvo battery prices, $240 plus for a battery? The new high capacity, maintenance free battery for my car cost me just over $105. You could have a look at , Advance Auto Parts, Auto Parts Warehouse and Andy's Auto Sport - might be a better deal there. I've just been looking at a Volvo Customer Forum - from the complaints about Volvo/Volvo Dealerships I don't think I would now consider buying a Volvo. I had put the C30 on my consideration list for my next car - not any more!

    Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 09-20-2011 at 10:34 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I've just been looking at a Volvo Customer Forum - from the complaints about Volvo/Volvo Dealerships I don't think I would now consider buying a Volvo. I had put the C30 on my consideration list for my next car - not any more! Ken.
    I've had several Volvos - but I won't buy another one. My dealer used to be good - but around 2005 they went downhill, and started to really gouge you for repairs. Now they want $135 /hr for labor, $240 for a battery, and $400 for a transmission flush!

    Besides, Volvo is now owned by Sheely (sp?) a Chinese company.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,489
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I've had several Volvos - but I won't buy another one. My dealer used to be good - but around 2005 they went downhill, and started to really gouge you for repairs. Now they want $135 /hr for labor, $240 for a battery, and $400 for a transmission flush!

    Besides, Volvo is now owned by Sheely (sp?) a Chinese company.
    BEIJING — Geely Holding Group completed its acquisition of Ford Motor Co.'s Volvo unit Monday in a $1.5 billion deal that gives the small but ambitious Chinese automaker a global brand and huge management challenges.
    That seems a low price for what was once a flagship brand. Looks to me like Ford were happy to get rid of something that had become a millstone product.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Similar Threads

  1. Car Battery
    By ChevyMan in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-13-2011, 10:13 AM
  2. Battery Health
    By Andrew B. in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-17-2011, 09:58 AM
  3. Dead battery
    By chiph in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-09-2009, 06:00 PM
  4. How to keep battery charged
    By Andrew B. in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-10-2009, 04:44 PM
  5. Battery Tester
    By ChevyMan in forum Car Care & Repair
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 10-30-2006, 11:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •