Thread: Anit-lock brakes?

Question Anit-lock brakes?

Is it possible to replace regular brakes with anti-lock brakes on the '86 El Camino?

Really, I have no idea if the brake systems are interchangeable or not. Or, if the anti-lock brakes will even fit the car.

After driving behind the Clover Queen and screeching to a halt with my rear-end fishtailing, I think I really would like to have anti-lock brakes on my trar.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Is it possible to replace regular brakes with anti-lock brakes on the '86 El Camino?

Really, I have no idea if the brake systems are interchangeable or not. Or, if the anti-lock brakes will even fit the car.

After driving behind the Clover Queen and screeching to a halt with my rear-end fishtailing, I think I really would like to have anti-lock brakes on my trar.
    So long as you remember that a good driver, in a car without ABS , will always stop a car more quickly than a poor driver in a car with ABS. So far as your question goes, Erin, I think the cost would far outweigh the benefits.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Yes, but it will cost more than the car is worth, and it won't stop the fishtailing that's endemic to pickups. To do that, you'll have to add a load. ... which will improve braking stability even without ABS.

So chain down a heavy toolbox in the bed, or a couple bags of cement or something like that. Don't leave it loose, so it becomes a projectile; attach it firmly, or put it in a box that is attached and will stay attached even in a collision. Maybe a bedliner made of steel plate, or a bed bottom made of diamond plate. ... not that 16 gage aluminum they make toolboxes out of; real steel, thick, and bolted in.

You may have to stiffen the rear springs a bit to get the ride height back.

You'd basically need tp pull your body off and put it on a frame from a small truck that has it. 4 wheel ABS has all sorts of computers and sensors that would need to be moved. I really don't think it's worth it. If you want better brakes, convert your car to 4 wheel discs. You have a car that kits are available to convert easily. You might need to go with larger wheels to clear the rotor and calipr but it will stop quicker. Especially if you put slightly wider tires on. Don't go too wide as you will lessen the weight per tires and lose grip.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    So long as you remember that a good driver, in a car without ABS , will always stop a car more quickly than a poor driver in a car with ABS. So far as your question goes, Erin, I think the cost would far outweigh the benefits.

Ken.
    Ok - thanks anyway, Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    Yes, but it will cost more than the car is worth, and it won't stop the fishtailing that's endemic to pickups. To do that, you'll have to add a load. ... which will improve braking stability even without ABS.

So chain down a heavy toolbox in the bed, or a couple bags of cement or something like that. Don't leave it loose, so it becomes a projectile; attach it firmly, or put it in a box that is attached and will stay attached even in a collision. Maybe a bedliner made of steel plate, or a bed bottom made of diamond plate. ... not that 16 gage aluminum they make toolboxes out of; real steel, thick, and bolted in.

You may have to stiffen the rear springs a bit to get the ride height back.
    Ok then. I guess I'll just have to live with regular brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    You'd basically need tp pull your body off and put it on a frame from a small truck that has it. 4 wheel ABS has all sorts of computers and sensors that would need to be moved. I really don't think it's worth it. If you want better brakes, convert your car to 4 wheel discs. You have a car that kits are available to convert easily. You might need to go with larger wheels to clear the rotor and calipr but it will stop quicker. Especially if you put slightly wider tires on. Don't go too wide as you will lessen the weight per tires and lose grip.
    Oh - I do not want to change the wheels. I like the ones I have. The brakes are not bad or failing or anything...it's just been so long since I had a car that did not have ABS that I did not think about them locking until I had to slam them. It sounds like too much trouble to change to ABS. I'll just keep the old brakes.

Thanks~