Thread: Benefits of team sports

Benefits of team sports

I've noticed a lot of criticism of professional athletes and sports in general. And although there are certainly enough premadonna's and spoiled little rich kids in the business, there are a lot of useful benefits to team sports.

In high school I was captain of the baseball team and went to college on a sports scholarship. After school I played in Central America and Europe for years until I just got too old to keep up with the youngsters anymore.

I played second base and so was part of the "double-play" duo in the middle infield. My shortstop and I worked together almost Ninja like. He knew where I was going to be and what I was going to do before I ever did it. We communicated via unspoken hand signals and other gestures. We each had responsibilities as part of a team in order for the team as a whole to succeed if even to the detriment of the individual.

Like the hit-and-run play where the runner on first takes off running as the hitter swings away. Many times the runner will be thrown out allowing a man on third base to score a run. In the score book the runner from first goes down as "caught stealing" and it negatively affects his base stealing percentage, but the team scored a run.

On long hits to the outfield almost every player on the infield had a role to play in getting the ball back in to the infield and trying to throw the runner out. Every situation had a collection of plays specifically designed for it and which was communicated to the rest of the team by the catcher. He was the on field captain.

Of utmost importance were: listening, knowing ones responsibilities in every situation and working together. Characteristics that are usually lacking in most "team" environments today but which are crucial to success whether it be business or personal.

We also learned sportsmanship which led to character. We learned how to lose and learn from our mistakes. We learned how to lose with dignity and pride. We learned how to win with humility and respect.

Athletic competition has a lot of virtues and if kept in this perspective can be beneficial.

Very touching story.

I still hate team sports!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

When kept in perspective, sports can have a positive role in society.

IMO, the problem occurs when society at large places too much importance on sports.

Sports should not be the main focus of society.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Very touching story.

I still hate team sports!
    But why Dom? Did you have a bad experience? Have you ever felt the kind of comradery that comes from being part of a team at a higher level like college or professionally?

Have you ever experienced a runners high? When you look down and see your feet moving, but can barely feel them touching the ground? Almost as if they are moving by themselves and you are just along for the ride.

The human body and mind are amazing things and capable of amazing things and athletics, team sports bring both the body and mind into play.

I'm too old and broken down now, but I wouldn't trade the experiences I had and what I learned from them for anything.

In the corporate world, companies always have these "team building" exercises that usually consist of some kind of bullshit outing to a rope bridge or tug-o-war picnic, whatever and they accomplish nothing except to get everyone out of the office for a day.

If more people played team sports, properly and properly supervised, maybe we'd be able to get along better - AND THAT MEANS ON THE ROAD AS WELL! )

Quote Originally Posted by doncoo View Post
    But why Dom? Did you have a bad experience? Have you ever felt the kind of comradery that comes from being part of a team at a higher level like college or professionally?

Have you ever experienced a runners high? When you look down and see your feet moving, but can barely feel them touching the ground? Almost as if they are moving by themselves and you are just along for the ride.

The human body and mind are amazing things and capable of amazing things and athletics, team sports bring both the body and mind into play.

I'm too old and broken down now, but I wouldn't trade the experiences I had and what I learned from them for anything.

In the corporate world, companies always have these "team building" exercises that usually consist of some kind of bullshit outing to a rope bridge or tug-o-war picnic, whatever and they accomplish nothing except to get everyone out of the office for a day.

If more people played team sports, properly and properly supervised, maybe we'd be able to get along better - AND THAT MEANS ON THE ROAD AS WELL! )
    Maybe some of us are just not suited to the so called 'team' sports. I tried Rugby and Cricket, I didn't bother with soccer as it seemed, at the time, to be the main interest of the more uncouth working class element. Neither sport appealed to me as it seemed that most efforts were wasted. So I tried swimming. I taught myself to swim and the same year was swimming for my year at school. The next year I was made swimming captain and swam for my school which, in a way, might have been a team thing but I only raced solo. I loved the fact that I won or lost purely by my own efforts and no one else's and swam competitively for many years. Later when into motorcycling I took up scrambling in the RAF and raced for a couple of years before I was posted abroad. Again I won or lost by my own efforts. Most of my sailplane flying was done in single seaters, going where I wanted, when I wanted. My current pleasures are 'biking, trackdays and fishing - all solo activities. For me solo was always best and autism was a help.

Management 'Team Building' exercises, I agree, are usually a total waste of time - God knows I went on enough of them.

Chacun à son goût, I guess.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 10-24-2011 at 11:16 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by doncoo View Post

I think a lot of folks feel the same way about team-building exercises. Just last week, a fellow student was explaining the reason he was turning in his work early: because he had to go to a "Retreat" for his job and sit around singing Kum-ba-ya and sucking up to a bunch of people he didn't even like in the first place.

As for team sports, there are team sports with individual aspects. Like swimming, tennis, martial arts, and golf. In these types of sports, the athletes can excel individually, but still be part of a team.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    I think a lot of folks feel the same way about team-building exercises. Just last week, a fellow student was explaining the reason he was turning in his work early: because he had to go to a "Retreat" for his job and sit around singing Kum-ba-ya and sucking up to a bunch of people he didn't even like in the first place.

As for team sports, there are team sports with individual aspects. Like swimming, tennis, martial arts, and golf. In these types of sports, the athletes can excel individually, but still be part of a team.
    I think baseball is a great team sport where every position on the field is very skilled. When Cruz from Texas threw out that base runner from St.Louis it was amazing to watch. A perfect throw to beat the slide. There was plenty of dramatics in that series and LaRussa retired winning the world series.

The problem, as usually expressed in this forum, is not with people who wish to participate in sports themselves, but with the jock-sniffers who do nothing but watch them, and talk about them all day Monday.

As for myself I was involved in all kinds of sports from football,baseball and softball to water skiing,ping pong you name it. My old man brought us up participating in sports. Maybe I enjoy watching it so what? Still golf and play volley ball from time to time another group sport. Honestly I think there is nothing wrong in participating in sports or watching good athletes plying their craft on the field is enjoyable to my eyes too. I'm not a young man anymore but a man more then capable of doing stuff that most men my age can't. Reason is my friends they never could play any sports. By the way I ride my bike over 500 miles at a time with a passenger. Sports is good for you,all sports is period.