If you don't think the poilice are a para-military force, read on....

Erich Campbell thought he was being helpful. The Florida Highway patrolman thought he was being obnoxious and disrespectful and gave him a $101 fine “I couldn’t believe it,” said Campbell as he paced next to Veterans Highway in Tampa, Fla. “I was in complete disbelief.”

Campbell’s crime?

He flashed his headlights to alert oncoming cars after passing that patrolman’s speed trap.

“It’s something I do,” he explained. "I don’t think it should be against the law."

... Ruskin is a former NY Police Department detective and current police advocate. He says flashing high beams is dangerous and clearly illegal.

“It's illegal because you're warning someone,” he explained. “It's the same thing as saying, 'run, here comes the cops,' You're obstructing a cop from doing his lawful duty.”

He said citizens do not have the right to interfere with a police action that is under way.

“He is aiding law-breakers,” said Ruskin. “He is warning people who are speeding to slow down. His intent is to impede the police.”
It’s a point Campbell says is impossible to prove.

“I may simply not like speeders and am telling others to slow down. They can’t prove my intent.”

Campbell maintains he has a “right to communicate” with fellow drivers.

“This is the way I communicate,” he said. “They can’t stop me from communicating.”