Thread: Ticket for flashing hi-beams

Ticket for flashing hi-beams

If you don't think the poilice are a para-military force, read on....

Erich Campbell thought he was being helpful. The Florida Highway patrolman thought he was being obnoxious and disrespectful and gave him a $101 fine “I couldn’t believe it,” said Campbell as he paced next to Veterans Highway in Tampa, Fla. “I was in complete disbelief.”

Campbell’s crime?

He flashed his headlights to alert oncoming cars after passing that patrolman’s speed trap.

“It’s something I do,” he explained. "I don’t think it should be against the law."

... Ruskin is a former NY Police Department detective and current police advocate. He says flashing high beams is dangerous and clearly illegal.

“It's illegal because you're warning someone,” he explained. “It's the same thing as saying, 'run, here comes the cops,' You're obstructing a cop from doing his lawful duty.”

He said citizens do not have the right to interfere with a police action that is under way.

“He is aiding law-breakers,” said Ruskin. “He is warning people who are speeding to slow down. His intent is to impede the police.”
    It’s a point Campbell says is impossible to prove.

“I may simply not like speeders and am telling others to slow down. They can’t prove my intent.”

Campbell maintains he has a “right to communicate” with fellow drivers.

“This is the way I communicate,” he said. “They can’t stop me from communicating.”

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post

[/left]

[/left]
    Only a twisted person would even try to justify such abusive police tactics with such a perversion of the law. And his broken logic is so infantile.

Is his duty to write citations or to protect and serve? If it's to protect and serve then that's what he's doing since Campbell saw him and warned other drivers that they should slow down hence protecting and serving the public interest. If his duty is to write citations then he is abusing his position as a public servant and he and his department need to be brought to task.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post

Seems to be universal. It is the same over here, get caught warning other drivers of a speed trap and it is points on the license and a hefty fine.

Wonder what they would do if you were trying to get drivers to 'speed up'? Probably points and a fine for encouraging other drivers to break the law.

Obvious solution? - Let those who break the law - no matter how illogical the law - fend for themselves. There is no substitue for an eagle eyed look-out - or a V1.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Florida was ticketing drivers for warning other drivers but it was ruled to be freedom of speech. There is no law prohibiting it so Florida has to refund all the fines it levied and erase the records.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.