Thread: Driving 55 is suspicious

Staff

Driving 55 is suspicious

According to thenewspaper.com, an individual driving 55 mph in a 60 mph zone is open to suspicion and a ticket by police. Clovers watch out! I think that the ruling will only make clovers angry, but overall, it shows that our speed limit policies are ridiculous on the surface and in practice.

We need to seriously boost speed limits and post reasonable minimums on highways. I thought that the minimum speed limit on an SC highway was 45 mph. Oh, well. At least it was when I used to drive it.

Or we need to get rid of highway speed limits entirely.

http://thenewspaper.com/news/36/3614.asp

I heard somewhere that more people are pulled over for DUI going under the speed limit than anything else.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I heard somewhere that more people are pulled over for DUI going under the speed limit than anything else.
    Yep!, the LEOs have it every which way. Drive under the posted limit, that looks suspicious - get pulled for a check and a possible ticket. Drive over the posted limit, that's more than suspicious - get pulled for a ticket.

Mind you, in the majority of cases, anyone getting stopped for speeding, by a marked patrol car or bike coming up from behind, should also get booked for driving without due care and attention.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post

When I was learning the ropes, I was instructed that while going under the speed limit is not illegal normally, there are exceptions, it is probable cause to watch and see if the driver is impaired. There is a minimum limit on the interstate system of 40 mph. That's why you see the signs prohibiting motorized bycycles, animal drawn wagons and so on. On state and local roads, you can be cited for impeding the flow of traffic. Alas, that doesn't apply to clovers in the left lane unless they are 25 mph under the posted limit.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I pointed this aspect of under posted speed limits out in usenet debates ages ago. When I would come across court rulings like this clovers would find some way to keep their illusions. One such ruling was when someone was pulled over (drug case) for obeying a school zone speed limit in the middle of the night. They said that was suspicious and the government's courts of course agreed. The problem is that cops have been known to enforce school zone speed limits on weekends and in the middle of the night. Either way... screwed.

Law in the USA in general is about being able to target anyone at any time. But the moron majority just goes on believing that if the government accuses someone that person must deserve it for one reason or another. Until it's them of course, then they squeal. Leading to another "favorite" of this wacked culture we live in. The news media picks up when some upper middle class mother or some other sympathetic character ends up getting targeted by the revenuers or other government employees with some stupid law or the other... then suddenly there has to be an understanding that so and so is a good person and this shouldn't happen. The law is never fixed. Sometimes the media attention gets the person off though.

This asinine culture that thinks it's ok to ruin people's lives if the majority doesn't like them or approve of how they live or the choices that person has made. That's how most people like it. they hate freedom and love conformity.