Thread: How come..

How come..

How come most of the women I know slam the shit out of doors?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Are you talking about car doors, or other doors?

If you are asking about car doors....It's because we are wimpy. We are wimpy in that we do not have the same upper body strength in the chest, shoulders, and arms as men do. Those are the muscles that you use when closing a car door. I have shut a car door many times only to have it not close properly. Solution: shut the door harder - with more force. Kids do the same thing. If the door doesn't close tightly the first time, you have to unlock the car and close it again.

On the other hand, when I have my arms full of grocery bags and shut the door with my hip, it usually closes tightly.

LOL

But, doors close so easily though. Even if not fully closed you can just give a sharp press/yank and voila!

My '82 Camino has brand spanking new hinges on it (okay they are really 10 years old). Anyhow, they close like butter. I can bring the door all the way to where it just starts to contact and use two fingers to complete the job!

Gave a co-worker a ride to NTB the other day in my '10 Yaris. She slammed the fuck out of my door so hard I though she broke the car! Yaris doors feel like they weigh 2lbs.

I'm thinking about doing all men a favor and sponsoring a Maintenance, Car Care, and Door Closing Techniques for Women course.

You think guys will sign their women up for it?

And as a bonus I'll throw in General Mechanical & Around The House Maintenance and Advanced Cabinet Closing Techniques free!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Probably because the majority of women have little or no appreciation or understanding of mechanical concepts. The delectable Diane, love of my life that she is, is a perfect example - if a key doesn't slide easily in or out of the lock does she gently realign it?, no, it is twist, push, wrench and pull, the perfect way to break a key off in the lock. If the gate bolt sticks when it rains, call hubby 'The gate's stuck.' The answer is simple just lift it slightly with one hand, I tell her time and time again, but it never seems to sink in. My ex's reaction if the car door didn't close first time - slam it, never thinking to drop the window a tad to relieve the pressure build up if she was in the car, or just close it and then apply a little more gentle pressure if she was getting out of the car. (Erin's hip nudge is the easiest way to shut a car door and can be done quite gently.) My bro's lovely wife gets through electro-mechanical items - vacuum cleaners (why would anyone want to clean a vacuum?), dishwashers, washing machines, tumble dryers, lawnmowers - you name it she can destroy it in a few weeks. Most women cannot look at a dismantled mechanical assembly - a cafetiére is a good example, and visualise how it goes back together just by looking at the component parts. We are just wired differently, for which we should be eternally grateful!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

My ex-girlfriend once told me she slams doors because if she slammed me, she'd get arrested for domestic violence.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Door closing techniques? Seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Probably because the majority of women have little or no appreciation or understanding of mechanical concepts. The delectable Diane, love of my life that she is, is a perfect example - if a key doesn't slide easily in or out of the lock does she gently realign it?, no, it is twist, push, wrench and pull, the perfect way to break a key off in the lock. If the gate bolt sticks when it rains, call hubby 'The gate's stuck.' The answer is simple just lift it slightly with one hand, I tell her time and time again, but it never seems to sink in. My ex's reaction if the car door didn't close first time - slam it, never thinking to drop the window a tad to relieve the pressure build up if she was in the car, or just close it and then apply a little more gentle pressure if she was getting out of the car. (Erin's hip nudge is the easiest way to shut a car door and can be done quite gently.) My bro's lovely wife gets through electro-mechanical items - vacuum cleaners (why would anyone want to clean a vacuum?), dishwashers, washing machines, tumble dryers, lawnmowers - you name it she can destroy it in a few weeks. Most women cannot look at a dismantled mechanical assembly - a cafetiére is a good example, and visualise how it goes back together just by looking at the component parts. We are just wired differently, for which we should be eternally grateful!

Ken.
    Ken, you have to clean vacuums at some point. For one thing, the roller brush gets hair and fibers wrapped around it and they make the roller stop turning. Sometimes you have to take it apart, take a knife or a razor blade and cut them loose. Even I know how to change the belts on a vac - it isn't that hard. Vacs are pretty simple machines.

Ok - maybe I cannot visualize how something goes back together if I see it disassembled, but if I disassemble it, I can put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Door closing techniques? Seriously?

My sister went with me yesterday to visit our mother. My car is old and has a ton of miles but the body is actually pretty solid.

It's sometimes hard to believe we are brother and sister since I'm 6 foot and she's 5 foot nothing. She slams the door everytime she gets out. I remember when we were kids, she blew the glass out of dads Packard. He was not happy. After the Packard got totalled, she blew the hydraulic lines out of the Cadillac. (There is a reason power windows are electric now.)

All their cars are less than 4 years old and the doors rattle. I wonder why? Mine doesn't.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Jill does that!

I have to be very careful with her when e are out in the TA....