Thread: Slide Hammer

Slide Hammer

Aight, so my dumbass installed a "cool guy" chrome dipstick and tube on my small block chevy engine. The damn stem busted off at the base. Now I have a freaking tube stuck in the side of the engine block. I have 3mm of lip hanging out. I tried the whole screw/bolt thing and tugged on it for a bit. No luck whatsoever. I'm thinking of slide hammering it. Ideas, suggestions, slide hammers to use? It's a bitch to get to. Have to jack up the passenger side and remove the tire and fit in between the headers.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Aight, so my dumbass installed a "cool guy" chrome dipstick and tube on my small block chevy engine. The damn stem busted off at the base. Now I have a freaking tube stuck in the side of the engine block. I have 3mm of lip hanging out. I tried the whole screw/bolt thing and tugged on it for a bit. No luck whatsoever. I'm thinking of slide hammering it. Ideas, suggestions, slide hammers to use? It's a bitch to get to. Have to jack up the passenger side and remove the tire and fit in between the headers.
    Can you use a Vise Grip to pull the dipstick out?

*It is possible that I am not exactly sure what you are referring.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post

Worst case scenario, you'll have to drop the oil pan and tap it out from below. HOWEVER, if you can grab the lip with a pair of vise grips or really strong needle nose pliers, you can grab the lip and rotate the tool. If you're lucky, the metal will curl inward and this will take the pressure off the side of the hole. This will release it from the hole.

I don't recommend it but if you accidently poke it into the hole, the metal will just lay in there and be caught by the screen over the oil pump pick up tube. The next time you change the oil, the piece may come out. I don't know how many if these I had to extract when I ran a shop.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Can you use a Vise Grip to pull the dipstick out?

*It is possible that I am not exactly sure what you are referring.
    Naw, you are right on the money. That is exactly what I tried for awhile with my needle nose style vise grips. Even screwed in a large bolt and tugged on that..

-Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Worst case scenario, you'll have to drop the oil pan and tap it out from below. HOWEVER, if you can grab the lip with a pair of vise grips or really strong needle nose pliers, you can grab the lip and rotate the tool. If you're lucky, the metal will curl inward and this will take the pressure off the side of the hole. This will release it from the hole.

I don't recommend it but if you accidently poke it into the hole, the metal will just lay in there and be caught by the screen over the oil pump pick up tube. The next time you change the oil, the piece may come out. I don't know how many if these I had to extract when I ran a shop.
    Thinking about dropping the pan makes me want to cry!

It's not a super important thing.

I've had the car like this for three years now and it burns zero oil, but damn does it piss me off.

Shit...

-Mussolini