Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Slide Hammer

  1. #1
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606

    Slide Hammer

    Aight, so my dumbass installed a "cool guy" chrome dipstick and tube on my small block chevy engine. The damn stem busted off at the base. Now I have a freaking tube stuck in the side of the engine block. I have 3mm of lip hanging out. I tried the whole screw/bolt thing and tugged on it for a bit. No luck whatsoever. I'm thinking of slide hammering it. Ideas, suggestions, slide hammers to use? It's a bitch to get to. Have to jack up the passenger side and remove the tire and fit in between the headers.

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  2. #2
    Senior Member Mithrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    256

    Question

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Aight, so my dumbass installed a "cool guy" chrome dipstick and tube on my small block chevy engine. The damn stem busted off at the base. Now I have a freaking tube stuck in the side of the engine block. I have 3mm of lip hanging out. I tried the whole screw/bolt thing and tugged on it for a bit. No luck whatsoever. I'm thinking of slide hammering it. Ideas, suggestions, slide hammers to use? It's a bitch to get to. Have to jack up the passenger side and remove the tire and fit in between the headers.
    Can you use a Vise Grip to pull the dipstick out?

    *It is possible that I am not exactly sure what you are referring.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

    'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

    What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

    Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

  3. #3
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,139
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Aight, so my dumbass installed a "cool guy" chrome dipstick and tube on my small block chevy engine. The damn stem busted off at the base. Now I have a freaking tube stuck in the side of the engine block. I have 3mm of lip hanging out. I tried the whole screw/bolt thing and tugged on it for a bit. No luck whatsoever. I'm thinking of slide hammering it. Ideas, suggestions, slide hammers to use? It's a bitch to get to. Have to jack up the passenger side and remove the tire and fit in between the headers.


    Worst case scenario, you'll have to drop the oil pan and tap it out from below. HOWEVER, if you can grab the lip with a pair of vise grips or really strong needle nose pliers, you can grab the lip and rotate the tool. If you're lucky, the metal will curl inward and this will take the pressure off the side of the hole. This will release it from the hole.

    I don't recommend it but if you accidently poke it into the hole, the metal will just lay in there and be caught by the screen over the oil pump pick up tube. The next time you change the oil, the piece may come out. I don't know how many if these I had to extract when I ran a shop.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  4. #4
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Can you use a Vise Grip to pull the dipstick out?

    *It is possible that I am not exactly sure what you are referring.
    Naw, you are right on the money. That is exactly what I tried for awhile with my needle nose style vise grips. Even screwed in a large bolt and tugged on that..

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  5. #5
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Worst case scenario, you'll have to drop the oil pan and tap it out from below. HOWEVER, if you can grab the lip with a pair of vise grips or really strong needle nose pliers, you can grab the lip and rotate the tool. If you're lucky, the metal will curl inward and this will take the pressure off the side of the hole. This will release it from the hole.

    I don't recommend it but if you accidently poke it into the hole, the metal will just lay in there and be caught by the screen over the oil pump pick up tube. The next time you change the oil, the piece may come out. I don't know how many if these I had to extract when I ran a shop.
    Thinking about dropping the pan makes me want to cry!

    It's not a super important thing.

    I've had the car like this for three years now and it burns zero oil, but damn does it piss me off.

    Shit...

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Similar Threads

  1. The Backward Slide into Recession
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 08:29 AM
  2. Man drives into rock slide
    By chiph in forum Video clips
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-21-2010, 08:42 PM
  3. Worst Slide Story.
    By Ken in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2009, 12:06 PM
  4. The new Victory Hammer S.
    By Ken in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2009, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •