Thread: Letter to Georgia Power

Letter to Georgia Power

To whom it may concern:

I am writing to you concerning my Georgia Power electric bill. When I requested electric power service from you, I agreed to pay for electric power service; I did not agree to pay a collection of additional fees that have appeared on my monthly bill.

I see an “Environmental Compliance Cost” fee on my most recent bill. Your website says that this fee is for the cost of environmental controls mandated by regulations. If the government has imposed regulatory costs on your company then those costs are your responsibility to pay not mine. Those are additional costs of doing business that I did not agree to pay for you. How much is that cost exactly? Why am I charged the amount I am for it? What do I get for that fee?

I also see a “Demand Side Management” fee which your website says is designed to cover the costs of certified programs managing the consumption of energy. I have absolutely no idea what that means but in any case is yet another cost your company seems to have and which they want me to pay. How much is that cost? Why am I charged the amount I am? What do I get for that fee? I’m starting to think that Georgia Power doesn’t understand the costs of doing business are theirs to pay, not mine.

I also see a “Nuclear Construction Cost Recovery” fee that your website say is designed to cover the cost of financing associated with the construction of a nuclear generating plant. Am I to understand that you want me to pay off your bank loan for you as well? I can honestly say that I’ve never eaten at a restaurant and seen an additional fee at the bottom of my bill to cover the costs of remodeling. If Georgia Power has incurred the costs of expansion and had to borrow money to do so then great but again, that loan is the responsibility of Georgia Power to pay back, not me, just as my loans are my responsibility to pay back, not my neighbor’s. How much did Georgia Power borrow? Why am I charged the amount I am? What do I get for it?

I also see a “Municipal Franchise” fee – I’m sure I’ll get to the actual electric usage at some point on this bill - that your website says is paid to cities to allow GPC to conduct business within city limits. Again, you getting permission from the local government to do business in the city has nothing to do with the amount of electricity I used. It would seem that Georgia Power has some issues with the government that need to be sorted out regarding regulations and fees. How much is that franchise fee? Why am I charged the amount I am? What do I get for that?

I also see a “Sales Tax” on my bill that your website says is for taxes that Georgia Power is required to collect. This is not true. The sales tax is a tax that Georgia Power is required by law to pay to the government for sales made and once again, Georgia Power is trying to make it sound as if they are obligated to pass that tax along to me when in fact, it is Georgia Powers decision to do this, they are in fact not required to. I already pay taxes assessed upon me by local, state and federal governments. I think it’s pretty despicable that you would expect me to pay your taxes as well.

Furthermore, if my calculations are correct all the frivolous above mentioned costs were included in the sales tax calculation that you are trying to get me to pay when in fact they have nothing to do with the electrical service you are selling me.

In short my electrical friends, I find your business practices to be dubious, and unprofessional. Trying to pass those costs along to me in the form of frivolous fees and taxes is irresponsible and abusive. I am more than happy to pay for the electrical usage I consume, but at no time did I agree to pay for all these extra costs of doing business that you have incurred nor to pay your government mandated sales taxes.

I can see on my bill exactly how many Kwh of electrical power I consumed for the month and exactly how much I am charged for each Kwh. I know exactly what I got and how much I paid for it. All these other fees, however, are just numbers in a cloud somewhere, of which I am expected to pay a share of with absolutely no idea how much the total cost is, how my share was calculated and worse: I have absolutely no idea what I’m getting for it and how it benefits me and my family. Sounds like government work to me.

I am remitting a check for the electrical usage charges on my monthly bill and expect that in the future that you would conduct your business more professionally, more responsibly and I would suggest updating your website to reflect the true nature of these fees and the truth about sales taxes.

After all your website says that customer's come first and that unquestionable trust drives your business behaviour.

Prove it!

I bet that when you initiated your service contract with them you DID sign a form that you agreed to pay all those fees.

Wow, those are some crazy extra fees!

What does your total power bill look like, if you don't mind me asking?

Mine is like $130 a month.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    I bet that when you initiated your service contract with them you DID sign a form that you agreed to pay all those fees.
    I honestly couldn't remember, so I called them and asked if I had to sign a contract or anything when getting new service turned on and they said no.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Wow, those are some crazy extra fees!

What does your total power bill look like, if you don't mind me asking?

Mine is like $130 a month.
    Mine's about $130 as well.