Thread: temporary spare wheels

Smile temporary spare wheels

>>>also, i found your site seeking an answer.
    my nissan 200sx (sentra in disguise) had a 14" temp; all real tires are 14", too. i put an old one for a spare on the temp rim. i bet a bundle that is not to code! and likely illegal in many states. (i am in texas, nothing is illegal here.) but i have used it a time or two and felt no abnormal handling, braking, etc. of course i kept ir to 50mph. (never go over 55 with all new tires-44 mpg) so is my practice deadly, and why? the wheel can hold a tiny tire at whatever inflation, a normal tire at 35 psi shouldn't spook it into failure? the wheel may never know it is carrying a real tire...<<<
    my original question was something like- can a normal tire be mounted on a temporary wheel? my nissan has 14" (175x65 r 14), and a basketball "zgxrw23t14" some unknown to me size on t-14, t being temporary. well, i tossed the pool ring and mounted a real 175 x 65 r 14 on the wheel. i was curious if anyomne was aaware of safety issues regarding this practice. FIRST, i am not going to go 80 mph with the spare if i ever use it. SECOND with $4 gas lurking at every pakistani store, i am not going faster than 55 with 4 BRAND NEW TIRES! so if the temp-wheel is the same size as a normal wheel, what are safety issues? again, please assume i am not going to drive weeks at a time on the temp tire.just a day or two until i replace the flat tire as it has been ages since one didn't self-destruct at 40,000 miles. i never get just a nail, always total failure!

Quote Originally Posted by cyka66 View Post
    >>>also, i found your site seeking an answer.
    my nissan 200sx (sentra in disguise) had a 14" temp; all real tires are 14", too. i put an old one for a spare on the temp rim. i bet a bundle that is not to code! and likely illegal in many states. (i am in texas, nothing is illegal here.) but i have used it a time or two and felt no abnormal handling, braking, etc. of course i kept ir to 50mph. (never go over 55 with all new tires-44 mpg) so is my practice deadly, and why? the wheel can hold a tiny tire at whatever inflation, a normal tire at 35 psi shouldn't spook it into failure? the wheel may never know it is carrying a real tire...<<<
    my original question was something like- can a normal tire be mounted on a temporary wheel? my nissan has 14" (175x65 r 14), and a basketball "zgxrw23t14" some unknown to me size on t-14, t being temporary. well, i tossed the pool ring and mounted a real 175 x 65 r 14 on the wheel. i was curious if anyomne was aaware of safety issues regarding this practice. FIRST, i am not going to go 80 mph with the spare if i ever use it. SECOND with $4 gas lurking at every pakistani store, i am not going faster than 55 with 4 BRAND NEW TIRES! so if the temp-wheel is the same size as a normal wheel, what are safety issues? again, please assume i am not going to drive weeks at a time on the temp tire.just a day or two until i replace the flat tire as it has been ages since one didn't self-destruct at 40,000 miles. i never get just a nail, always total failure!
    Firstly you need to know that temporary wheels and tires are just that - tires and wheels for temporary use until the correct full size and strength wheels and tires can be refitted. usually the limitation is a max distance of around 50 miles at 50 mph max. Some temporary wheels are special wheels, of light weight and made to carry specific tires at a much higher pressure than normal, typically around 60 psi. Other temporary wheels, which may be the one you have, are of normal size but are lighter and have less strength than a standard wheel and carry specific tires of lightweight construction.

Full-Size Temporary Spares
    Full-size temporary spare tires and wheels match the vehicle's original tire dimensions, but typically feature lighter-weight construction and a shallower tread depth to reduce vehicle weight to improve fuel economy and make the spare easier to install. While most of today's vehicles are originally equipped with alloy wheels, full-size temporary spares are typically mounted on steel wheels and should be used only as spares.

Compact Temporary Spares
    Compact temporary spare tires are physically shorter and narrower than the vehicle's standard tires and wheels. Their smaller dimensions require they operate at higher inflation pressures than standard tires (typically 60 psi). Compact temporary spares also feature lighter-weight construction and a shallower tread depth than standard tires to reduce vehicle weight, as well as allow more trunk space to be dedicated to luggage. The compact temporary spare tire and wheel that comes with a vehicle is designed to fit that vehicle only. Never attempt to use a temporary spare and wheel on another vehicle unless it is the exact same make and model.

HTH.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 11-26-2011 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Typo.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Only 40k from a tire? You need to invest in some Michelins and watch your inflation more carefully. Low tire pressure kills more tires than anything else.

Yes, the Michelins are more expensive, but if you double your tire life, then they'll have been worth it.

Also - do not drive on that wheel/tire combo. It was never intended to be matched up like that. Go out and get the correct tire for your spare.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

The temp mini spares are very narrow. It won't be physically possible to mount a full size tire on one of those rims.

For the loss of some trunk space you can get a steel or alloy rim that is full size or at least the proper diameter. This way you can have a real wheel and tire. I've done this with my cars one way or the other.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    The temp mini spares are very narrow. It won't be physically possible to mount a full size tire on one of those rims.

For the loss of some trunk space you can get a steel or alloy rim that is full size or at least the proper diameter. This way you can have a real wheel and tire. I've done this with my cars one way or the other.

You can mount a regular tire on a temporary rim. However, it is really a bad idea. The sidewalls need to go straight down to the rim. A regular tire will have a wider tread width. This means the sidewalls will go inward at the rim. You will have NO lateral strength, the car will be a handfull under less tha noptimal conditions and the sidewall will be exposed to lots of road hazards.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.