Thread: Getting new engine...need advice

Question Getting new engine...need advice

Yippee! hubby is getting me a new engine for Christmas! We are replacing the 305 in the Elky with a 350. I am looking for websites that sell new engines. I have checked out sdparts.com and Pace Performance. I didn't really find anything at Pace - they have mostly very high performance engines with way more hp than my transmission (the 200r4) will handle.

I am looking to switch over to electronic fuel injection at the same time. I found one engine at sdparts that includes the EFI.

Does anyone recommend any other places for me to look?

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Yippee! hubby is getting me a new engine for Christmas! We are replacing the 305 in the Elky with a 350. I am looking for websites that sell new engines. I have checked out sdparts.com and Pace Performance. I didn't really find anything at Pace - they have mostly very high performance engines with way more hp than my transmission (the 200r4) will handle.

I am looking to switch over to electronic fuel injection at the same time. I found one engine at sdparts that includes the EFI.

Does anyone recommend any other places for me to look?

If you have a good machine shop near you, see what they will charge to build you an engine. If you can find a rebuildable engine out of a 70's Chevy car, you might even score an SB400. Lot's of torque in those puppies. They are the prefered engine for dirt track racers.

If you don't want the hassle of rebuilding, you can try Jasper Engines. Their address is jasperengines.com. I've put them in and they can sell you whatever you want on performance.

As for fuel injection, you can adapt a newer engine or go the aftermarket route. Edelbrock has a bolt on system for street rods that come complete. It bolts on in place of your old intake. This way, you buy a long block rebuild, the Edelbrock system and drop it in.

Of course, this would be a good time to clean and detail your engine bay and maybe clean the wiring up a bit with some wire looms.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Don't forget that your Friendly Local Chevy Dealer can get crate engines, too, and not just stock replacements.

Thank you Sir Grouch. We are not looking for a rebuild, but a new crate engine. And yes, we plan to do away with the smog controls, rewire a lot of stuff, add the gauges, switch to a serpentine belt system...quite a bit of work.

I'll have a look at Jasper engines.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    Don't forget that your Friendly Local Chevy Dealer can get crate engines, too, and not just stock replacements.
    Thanks Mike. I guess I can always use a Chevy engine if I don't find something else that appeals to me.