Thread: Nativity displays.....again

Nativity displays.....again

So tell me folks, are you personally offended by nativity scenes in public at this time of year? This is a question not only for those who have expressed no belief one way or the other, or who choose not to follow any particular religion or doctrine, but also for those who practice some kind of faith.

The town of Athens, Texas is under fire from the Freedom From Religion foundation in Madison, Wisconsin for the erection of a nativity scene on the courthouse lawn:

http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2011...ativity-scene/

The scene is not county property and is put up by volunteers from the 'Keep Athens Beautiful' organization. The FFR claims that the scene offends people who are not religious, and that it is unconstitutional because it promotes Christianity. The County Commissioner says it is a local tradition and refuses to remove it.

Which brings me to the questions:

• Does a nativity display at Christmas promote Christianity?
    • If so, by that same reasoning, does a Halloween display of witches or goblins promote paganism, or does the display of a menorah promote Judaism?
    • Does the county have a responsibility to its citizenry to make sure they are not offended?
    • Does the Texas county have a responsibility to the Wisconsin-based FFR to make sure they are not offended?

As liberty-minded thinkers, we know that ‘freedom from being offended’ is simply not constitutional. It does not appear anywhere in the Constitution, therefore, the FFR’s claim that the offending scene is unconstitutional is moot.

What is relevant is the fact that the FFR is suing Henderson County to have the scene removed. I think that we would all agree that local governments are for more desirable and effective than federal ones because the smaller the government, the better. Additionally, local governments possess a unique knowledge and perspective of their regions and traditions that a far-removed federal government does not have. As such, how is it remotely affecting an organization in Wisconsin that a Texas courthouse has a nativity display? Answer: A display on the county courthouse lawn in Texas it does not affect anyone in Wisconsin…period.

Several of our members here at EP have expressed a dislike of organized religion. Many remain uncommitted to any particular religion. Just as the War of Northern Aggression was really about States’ Rights and not slavery, this issue is about County Rights and not about religion.

I would love to hear your comments on this issue. If you are not committed to a religion, does it offend you to see a nativity scene? Do you think it should be removed because you think it promotes Christianity? Do you celebrate Christmas? Do you celebrate it as a tradition (giving gifts, visiting family, eating too much, and getting a holiday from work), or as a religious holiday? From a financial perspective, should County officials capitulate instead of fighting the issue in court?

Granted, there are more pressing issues on our tables nowadays than worrying about a nativity display. It seems to me that this is just one more straw of the ever-increasing hay bale that is burdened upon us be FedGov.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Does a nativity display at Christmas promote Christianity?
    No.

If so, by that same reasoning, does a Halloween display of witches or goblins promote paganism, or does the display of a menorah promote Judaism?
    No.

Does the county have a responsibility to its citizenry to make sure they are not offended?
    No.

Does the Texas county have a responsibility to the Wisconsin-based FFR to make sure they are not offended?
    No.

I would love to hear your comments on this issue. If you are not committed to a religion,
    I'm not.

does it offend you to see a nativity scene?
    No.

Do you think it should be removed because you think it promotes Christianity?
    No.

Do you celebrate Christmas?
    By celebrate do you mean eat and drink way more than I should and give some presents? If so, yes, I celebrate Christmas.

Do you celebrate it as a tradition (giving gifts, visiting family, eating too much, and getting a holiday from work), or as a religious holiday?
    Beat me to it. I guess I've reflected on the religious aspect of it from time to time, as I have on the religious aspects of the soltice and other such times and/or events.

From a financial perspective, should County officials capitulate instead of fighting the issue in court?
    I'd want them to fight it, if only to spite the pricks who brought the lawsuit.

Granted, there are more pressing issues on our tables nowadays than worrying about a nativity display. It seems to me that this is just one more straw of the ever-increasing hay bale that is burdened upon us be FedGov.
    What nativity displays are missing is free turkey and stuffing.

And gravy. And mashed potatoes too.

So it's private property being put up on gov't property. This is one of the ten-thousand problems with gov't: nobody owns gov't property so who's to say whether a private group can use it? The gov't? But the gov't doesn't represent the wishes of everyone in town so that's immoral.

As for be offended: KAB has no ownership rights over the emotions of the people in FFR. The folks at FFR are wholey responsible for their own emotions. Following that logic then someone could sue to force the gov't to put up more things around town that make people happy!

If they are offended then I suggest they don't look at it. I'm offended by big, fat, ugly, stupid people especially when I have to sit next to them on an airplane. Can I sue someone for being stupid?

Morons. What a pathetic little society America has become. Full of dependent, whiny, crying, lazy little people obsessed with nonsense.