Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Note to Don Cooper

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    19

    Note to Don Cooper

    Ever since I learned you were the Don in the Throw It In The Woods commentaries, I've been reading your archives and enjoying them very much. You have a way of getting me all militant and laughing at the same time. If there's one thing I admire, it's exquisite sarcasm.

    Love this: "... felt like I'd gone through the looking glass and tea had just been served," or words to that effect.

    Unfortunately, as I was finishing up your excellent "First Government Intervention" blog, I received word that Obama signed the NDAA last night. New Year's Eve, when all America's attention could be counted on to be elsewhere. That's probably just a coincidence, though.

    Massive bummer.

    Anyway, thanks for your good work and the terrific talking points your essays are providing me.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    U.S. Penal Colony Georgia
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsie View Post
    Ever since I learned you were the Don in the Throw It In The Woods commentaries, I've been reading your archives and enjoying them very much. You have a way of getting me all militant and laughing at the same time. If there's one thing I admire, it's exquisite sarcasm.

    Love this: "... felt like I'd gone through the looking glass and tea had just been served," or words to that effect.

    Unfortunately, as I was finishing up your excellent "First Government Intervention" blog, I received word that Obama signed the NDAA last night. New Year's Eve, when all America's attention could be counted on to be elsewhere. That's probably just a coincidence, though.

    Massive bummer.

    Anyway, thanks for your good work and the terrific talking points your essays are providing me.
    Happy New Year and thanks for your kind words.

    I assume you're refering to my column on Lewrockwell.com

    http://www.lewrockwell.com/cooper/cooper29.1.html

    Thanks for reading and pass the word!

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsie View Post
    If there's one thing I admire, it's exquisite sarcasm.

    Love this: "... felt like I'd gone through the looking glass and tea had just been served," or words to that effect.

    Anyway, thanks for your good work and the terrific talking points your essays are providing me.
    You gotta be kidding?

    This person you so worship has made the following comments on this forum:

    I actually have a clue what I'm talking about and you don't.
    Saying you do is assinine,
    you simply don't understand the subject matter.
    Which you would know if you understood the subject matter being discussed.
    And once more, you're wrong.
    You strike me as some kid who, lacking even the most basic economic education

    I ask you: "Why would someone talk to another human being like this?"

    The only thing I can think of is that they are very angry and unfulfilled.
    There can be many solutions / paths to a problem. Very seldom is there any 'right path'. Our friend Don has deceided that as far as
    economics is concerned, he is absolutely correct, there is no arguement, he is 100% entirely correct, he IS god.

    Having attended, and graduaded from three universities, I have been exposed to some truely intelligent people. These people don't need to
    put other people down. They use the power of their words to express / convery their opinions. They are not afraid of opposing opinions. They are hopeful that the best arguement will win. A solution that works today may not work tomorrow.

    I come here because of the quality of the people who participate on this forum. I feel free to share my opinion, and welcome others express theirs. The thing about communication is that it is an exchange, the process of writing helps the thought process.

    What is not pleasant is to be called an 'idiot', 'you don't understand', etc. It's not about winning and Don is soooo foolish to think that 'shoving his opinion down our throats' is going to win anything.

    IMO Don is toxic, an angry, acidic, in your face jack-ass, insult factory. He feels inferior, and his way of making up for it is to put people down.

    Who really cares what his opinion is?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    U.S. Penal Colony Georgia
    Posts
    175
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    You gotta be kidding?

    This person you so worship has made the following comments on this forum:














    I ask you: "Why would someone talk to another human being like this?"

    The only thing I can think of is that they are very angry and unfulfilled.
    There can be many solutions / paths to a problem. Very seldom is there any 'right path'. Our friend Don has deceided that as far as
    economics is concerned, he is absolutely correct, there is no arguement, he is 100% entirely correct, he IS god.

    Having attended, and graduaded from three universities, I have been exposed to some truely intelligent people. These people don't need to
    put other people down. They use the power of their words to express / convery their opinions. They are not afraid of opposing opinions. They are hopeful that the best arguement will win. A solution that works today may not work tomorrow.

    I come here because of the quality of the people who participate on this forum. I feel free to share my opinion, and welcome others express theirs. The thing about communication is that it is an exchange, the process of writing helps the thought process.

    What is not pleasant is to be called an 'idiot', 'you don't understand', etc. It's not about winning and Don is soooo foolish to think that 'shoving his opinion down our throats' is going to win anything.

    IMO Don is toxic, an angry, acidic, in your face jack-ass, insult factory. He feels inferior, and his way of making up for it is to put people down.

    Who really cares what his opinion is?
    Economic principles are akin to the laws of physics. Regardless, how angry you get about gravity, as much as you don't feel it's right, if you jump off that roof, you are going to break your ass. Not my opinion but fact.

    It is the same with economics. Regardless how angry you get about it, as much as you don't feel it's right, if the gov't regulates and taxes businesses here in the U.S, if unions - with gov't support - strong arm higher than market wages, jobs are going to countries with cheaper costs for the same reasons you shop at stores which offer what you need with the cheapest costs. Not my opinion but fact and common sense really.

    Honestly, I don't remember making some of those quotes above - I do remember reading them though - but I drink so I won't deny them either.

    Considering you took the time to go back and read all my posts to find justification for yours, it would seem that you care what my opinion is.

    You make me smile.

    BTW: I resent being called acidic.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    This person you so worship has made the following comments on this forum:

    There can be many solutions / paths to a problem. Very seldom is there any 'right path'. Our friend Don has deceided that as far as
    economics is concerned, he is absolutely correct, there is no arguement, he is 100% entirely correct, he IS god.

    Having attended, and graduaded from three universities, I have been exposed to some truely intelligent people. These people don't need to
    put other people down. They use the power of their words to express / convery their opinions. They are not afraid of opposing opinions. They are hopeful that the best arguement will win. A solution that works today may not work tomorrow.

    IMO Don is toxic, an angry, acidic, in your face jack-ass, insult factory. He feels inferior, and his way of making up for it is to put people down.
    I complimented the man because I agree with much of what he says, because he articulates his ideas in a way I can understand and learn from -- because I, unlike Don, am not an economist -- and because I appreciate the piquancy of his writing style. I don't believe I implied that I worship him.

    No offense, Don.

    Those 'truly intelligent' lovers of measured discourse you say you have been exposed to must be a narrow segment of that world. If you believe what you wrote, you haven't spent a lot of time in academic circles. A more waspish, backbiting and territorial bunch would be hard to find -- particularly those who are overly in love with their own intellects. There are highly educated people who are also possessed of sufficient street smarts to be always open to learning, to know their own limitations and, above all, to eschew the ivory tower blinders so lovingly clung to by their
    educated but fundamentally dumb colleagues. They are a true joy. You should look them up.

    I like Don's sass and I share his impatience with the willful blindness of fools -- not implying that you are a fool. I like his clearsightedness, and his recognition that there is in point of fact often a 'right path', and that there are often truths which enduring today will also endure tomorrow. Taking non-absolutist positions can be great fun for the purpose of lively interactive discussion and exploration and raising of consciousness; it's one of my favorite things, and I have often done it myself, just for the hell of it. But that can only take you so far; eventually you have to act.

    If I have a choice between reading some dull-as-dirt academic treatise and reading guys like Studs Terkel or Eric Hoffer or Robert Persig, I'll take the latter every time.

    But I digress.

    I too find it curious that you were sufficiently incensed to mine Don's material for nuggets to prove your point -- I thought EYE had no life -- but yet, you ended your post with a string of insults that were far worse than those for which you castigated him.

    Logic much?

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by Catsie View Post
    If you believe what you wrote, you haven't spent a lot of time in academic circles.

    There are highly educated people who are also possessed of sufficient street smarts to be always open to learning... You should look them up.

    I share his impatience with the willful blindness of fools

    his recognition that there is in point of fact often a 'right path', and that there are often truths which enduring today will also endure tomorrow
    Read your comment again Catsie: "you haven't spent a lot of time in academic circles."

    Is that the way confident people speak? Or is that the way controlling, angry, impatient people speak? Your comment is meant to disparage me, my thoughts, opinions, education. Maybe I might just feel intimidated enough that I will go away.

    It's not that I don't agree with much of what Don says, but rather when I brought up points like "what about..." then he just spews some empty negative retortric about the persons character, intelligence, or education.

    In another post I thought I made a really logical arguement. But instead of responing thoughtfully, he just said "are you high?" IMO, this guy acts like an asshole.

    Quote Originally Posted by Catsie View Post
    Taking non-absolutist positions can be great fun for the purpose of lively interactive discussion and exploration and raising of consciousness
    You misunderstand. We are discussing what to do. In order to arrive at what to do, other points should (not for you and Don) to be considered. But since you know you are right (because you believe it) then those other points need to be dispensed of. Don's major way of getting rid of other opinions to is put them down. Like you have done above by telling me: "you haven't spent a lot of time in academic circles."

    Quote Originally Posted by Catsie View Post
    Logic much?
    Be sure to end every disscussion with an insult. Truely a sign of an insecure person who needs to win. Becareful who you decide to emulate.
    Last edited by dBrong; 01-08-2012 at 12:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    U.S. Penal Colony Georgia
    Posts
    175
    I feel like the queen of the ball getting so much attention.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Minneapolis
    Posts
    1,429
    Quote Originally Posted by doncoo View Post
    I feel like the queen of the ball getting so much attention.
    I thought you may be a queen

    I agree with a lot of what you say. However there are a lot of details.

    The current economic environment, the political environment which includes local / state / federal governments. I've heard there are over 85,000 governments in the US.

    I think we are screwed. Because how can one 'push' a logical idea down to 85,000 entities - that are 1/2 built on bullshit?

    If I may, I'd like to give you one constructive criticism: You have good ideas, logical ideas. To be more persuasive allow for discourse, and defeat/combine the discourse with logical arguements rather than the more aggressive "you don't".

    Consider that there are other aspects. After all Economics is a combination of math, stats, politics, and psychology.

    My motto is: "If you can't feed 'em - don't breed 'em." I think this would go a long way to solving the problem.
    Last edited by dBrong; 01-08-2012 at 01:38 PM.

  9. #9
    Senior Member BrentP's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    123
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post

    Having attended, and graduaded from three universities, I have been exposed to some truely intelligent people. These people don't need to
    put other people down. They use the power of their words to express / convery their opinions. They are not afraid of opposing opinions. They are hopeful that the best arguement will win. A solution that works today may not work tomorrow.
    Ever notice that most of those people never express an opinion that is outside of the acceptable limits of thought? That's how intelligence is measured today, the ability to work with institutional systems. To regurgitate what is taught and never question the status quo. If these intelligent people are really challenged then you'll see their veil of civility fall away. At the very least they'll use various fallacies to try to make the other person foolish or clever forms of insult.

    Part of the process of discovery and actual thinking effects people who under go it differently but in similar ways. One part of it is frustration from explaining what other people should know (but don't because they never put the effort to it) from first principles. Then getting insulted for not being within the acceptable boundaries. It wears on people and one can start dishing it out too.

    Life is very easy inside the bubble. It get tough outside it and even worse if one starts popping bubbles.

Similar Threads

  1. Show Me The Note, Motherfucker!
    By Eric in forum Survival/Economic Collapse
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-20-2010, 05:30 AM
  2. Mini Cooper
    By dom in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-22-2010, 01:11 PM
  3. Joe Stack's note...
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 02-19-2010, 06:25 PM
  4. 2007 Mini Cooper
    By Eric in forum New Car/Truck Reviews
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-02-2007, 09:39 AM
  5. Jeff Cooper dies
    By chiph in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2006, 04:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •