Thread: New tire time?

New tire time?

I have 25,000 miles (approx) on my 09 Accord's tires. The tire pressure light is on; has been for a week or so. I suspect that this is just an electronic bug, as the car's ride isn't significantly impacted. The tires look fine. Would simply reinflating the tires work, or should they be replaced? If reinflating or retreading is enough, how much should I expect to spend?
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Quote Originally Posted by RebelKnightCSA View Post
    I have 25,000 miles (approx) on my 09 Accord's tires. The tire pressure light is on; has been for a week or so. I suspect that this is just an electronic bug, as the car's ride isn't significantly impacted. The tires look fine. Would simply reinflating the tires work, or should they be replaced? If reinflating or retreading is enough, how much should I expect to spend?
    Have you checked the tire pressures? by the wording of your post it looks as though you haven't. Might be worth a check, just for your own safety as tires pressures should be checked at least once a week. I don't know about US tire prices but, over here, I can get four new Pirelli P6000 tires, ideal for my 1997 Carina E SE, for around $360 including fitting, balancing, new valves, balance weights, taxes and old tire disposal costs. Tire change time comes at either three mm tread depth or a puncture, whichever comes first.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 01-26-2012 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Addition.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

My Chevy 76 do not have the so called 'tire pressure light'
    I've read somewhere that regardless of number of miles travelled, one should replace ALL tires more than six years old, which I did. My spare hadn't been used more than once but I had to replace it also, to be safe.

Try inflating your tires to the same psi. A pressure gauge can help ensure that all tires have the same psi reading. After checking the pressure, the light should go out after a mile of driving.

The light can sometimes light up if there is a pressure difference between one or more tires. None of the tires could be flat, but the light will still light up.

Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

My in-laws had this problem for a month until a service mgr finally said to check the spare. Seems they put a sensor on the spare too

Need new tires for my 2007 Jeep: $1000 for 4 with balance, alignment, disposal etc...

OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by doncoo View Post
    Need new tires for my 2007 Jeep: $1000 for 4 with balance, alignment, disposal etc...

OUCH!
    I don't know if this will make you feel any better Don. One of my 'bike club pals is doing a trackday, at Silverstone, with his Jaguar XKR-S. I suggested he had a new set of tires fitted for the day with a new set ready to be fitted the day after his trackday - this based on the days when my dad used to hammer his Jags round Brands and Silverstone. He pulled a face and said he had been told by the regulars to take two sets with him for the day. Ho-hum, eight tires at $375 per tire, that's $3000 for the day then, Sir and don't forget you will probably need another set after you get home. Hip-te-hooty ain't life great when you are having fun and not counting the cost.

At least on my CBR6RR I can get three, maybe four, trackdays out of a $300 set of Bridgestones.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Any advice or suggestions on where, how to find new tires cheaper? Retreads? Something? Anything? )