Thread: Letter to the State of Virginia

Letter to the State of Virginia

I received a notice from the Rockingham circuit court yesterday informing me that as of this Sunday my license will be suspended if I don't pony up the extortion money they demand.

This is my response mailed to them today.

To whom it may concern:

My name is Donald Glenn Cooper, case number: 165CR11000665-00.
    I was charged with statutory reckless driving while passing through the state of Virginia last spring and assessed a fine of over $300.

As an exercise in legal proceedings, I fought the charge in district court and lost. I appealed to the circuit court and lost there as well and this letter is to inform you that you will never, ever see a penny of my money for this gross violation of my rights as an American citizen.

The role of government is to protect our rights, and any law that violates our rights is no law at all but rather a crime and the enforcement of such laws, a criminal act.
    I’ve failed to find any legal authority in the Virginia state constitution for this law:

46.2-862. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

making it constitutionally illegal, immoral and wrong.

Furthermore, the arrogance to believe that a bureaucracy of politicians – not exactly exemplary individuals - posses some sort of divine knowledge to know the one and only possible safe speed on any given road at any given time for any given driver in any given car is staggering. The complete and utter lack of compassion for people who, in these hard economic times, are doing everything they can just to make ends meet is shameful. To punish people for doing something wrong when they’ve done nothing wrong in an effort to generate revenue for the state’s coffers is unforgivable.

Do you have any idea the affect these sorts of actions on the part of the state have on people’s lives? People who have harmed no one; haven’t threatened to harm anyone and yet are forced – out of fear – to send hundreds of dollars of their money to the government. And if they refuse, will have their license suspended affecting every aspect of their lives including their ability to get to and from work, their families, their children and yet they’ve done nothing wrong. That, by definition, is extortion. It takes a certain kind of moral depravity to be able to do that with a clear conscience. Just because you wear American uniforms and speak English doesn’t make the demand for “your papers please” any less Nazi-Germanish.

I’m a man who, his whole life, has taken great pride in his driving skills; a man with a 32-year spotless driving record which I presented you evidence of; a man who respects the rights of others – which is more than I can say for the law - on the road and takes great defensive measures to protect. To try and punish me for some arbitrary speed limit and some arbitrary statute is not only about as clear a violation of my sovereign rights as an individual but also as an American citizen. To try and control my movements from point ‘A’ to point ‘B’ in my own car in my own country is abusive, oppressive, irresponsible, and unprofessional.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

You threaten to suspend my license, but how will that change my ability to be a safe and responsible driver like I’ve been for the past 32 years? It won’t. A driver’s license is nothing more than the government’s permission to do what I already have the right to do anyway. It’s used as nothing more than a measure of coercion.

The winds of change are blowing through this country. People are no longer passively allowing themselves to be oppressed and acquiescing to the will of tyrannical governments and soon your privileged way of life will be over.
    With best regards

Don Cooper
    Last edited by doncoo; 03-07-2012 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by doncoo View Post
    I received a notice from the Rockingham circuit court yesterday informing me that as of this Sunday my license will be suspended if I don't pony up the extortion money they demand.

This is my response mailed to them today.

To whom it may concern:

My name is Donald Glenn Cooper, case number: 165CR11000665-00.
    I was charged with statutory reckless driving while passing through the state of Virginia last spring and assessed a fine of over $300.

As an exercise in legal proceedings, I fought the charge in district court and lost. I appealed to the circuit court and lost there as well and this letter is to inform you that you will never, ever see a penny of my money for this gross violation of my rights as an American citizen.

The role of government is to protect our rights, and any law that violates our rights is no law at all but rather a crime and the enforcement of such laws, a criminal act.
    I’ve failed to find any legal authority in the Virginia state constitution for this law:

46.2-862. A person shall be guilty of reckless driving who drives a motor vehicle on the highways in the Commonwealth (i) at a speed of twenty miles per hour or more in excess of the applicable maximum speed limit or (ii) in excess of eighty miles per hour regardless of the applicable maximum speed limit.

making it constitutionally illegal, immoral and wrong.

Furthermore, the arrogance to believe that a bureaucracy of politicians – not exactly exemplary individuals - posses some sort of divine knowledge to know the one and only possible safe speed on any given road at any given time for any given driver in any given car is staggering. The complete and utter lack of compassion for people who, in these hard economic times, are doing everything they can just to make ends meet is shameful. To punish people for doing something wrong when they’ve done nothing wrong in an effort to generate revenue for the state’s coffers is unforgivable.

Do you have any idea the affect these sorts of actions on the part of the state have on people’s lives? People who have harmed no one; haven’t threatened to harm anyone and yet are forced – out of fear – to send hundreds of dollars of their money to the government. And if they refuse, will have their license suspended affecting every aspect of their lives including their ability to get to and from work, their families, their children and yet they’ve done nothing wrong. That, by definition, is extortion. It takes a certain kind of moral depravity to be able to do that with a clear conscience. Just because you wear American uniforms and speak English doesn’t make the demand for “your papers please” any less Nazi-Germanish.

I’m a man who, his whole life, has taken great pride in his driving skills; a man with a 32-year spotless driving record which I presented you evidence of; a man who respects the rights of others – which is more than I can say for the law - on the road and takes great defensive measures to protect. To try and punish me for some arbitrary speed limit and some arbitrary statute is not only about as clear a violation of my sovereign rights as an individual but also as an American citizen. To try and control my movements from point ‘A’ to point ‘B’ in my own car in my own country is abusive, oppressive, irresponsible, and unprofessional.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

You threaten to suspend my license, but how will that change my ability to be a safe and responsible driver like I’ve been for the past 32 years? It won’t. A driver’s license is nothing more than the government’s permission to do what I already have the right to do anyway. It’s used as nothing more than a measure of coercion.

The winds of change are blowing through this country. People are no longer passively allowing themselves to be oppressed and acquiescing to the will of tyrannical governments and soon your privileged way of life will be over.
    With best regards

Don Cooper
    Whilst having no disagreement with any of your points - broadly, as I see it no government will ever be happy until all of one's income is ultimately extorted as tax - might I suggest that, when they allow you your 'one phone call' you ring Eric and tell him your new address so we can all write to you during your prolonged period of incarceration.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

The "state" wants your geldt. Without geldt (the life blood) the state will wither and die. They will use every ruse to part you from your geldt!

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    The "state" wants your geldt. Without geldt (the life blood) the state will wither and die. They will use every ruse to part you from your geldt!
    Ja, genau aber MEIN Geld gehort MIR! Verdammt!

Quote Originally Posted by doncoo View Post
    Ja, genau aber MEIN Geld gehort MIR! Verdammt!
    Nicht!

I like your letter, all except for the last sentence, which is sure to condemn you as a turroriss.

Note to Ken: No need to trouble Eric. Just address your correspondence to Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp, Attn: The Donald Duck Guy.

And on an entirely unrelated subject, Don, go here:
    www.cracked.com/blog/5-reasons-new-years-ruins-everything-great-about-drinking

Quote Originally Posted by Catsie View Post
    Nicht!

I like your letter, all except for the last sentence, which is sure to condemn you as a turroriss.

Note to Ken: No need to trouble Eric. Just address your correspondence to Guantanamo Bay Detention Camp, Attn: The Donald Duck Guy.

Do you mean this Donald Duck guy or this one?
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Catsie View Post
    Nicht!

No doubt. Freedom of speech has to be approved by the gov't. )