Thread: Getting ready.

Getting ready.

Today the bike went in for its Spring service - full check, oil change, filter change, change all fluids, clean and check chain, calipers, brake pads, lube cables, grease linkages etc., and of course its annual MOT Test.

Yesterday was a lovely day, cool but nice and sunny all day. Today I got up to grey skies, pouring rain and very windy - I really did not want to get my clean shiny bike all wet before Paul, my bike fitter, had to work on it but - hey - that's life. I could, however, have really done without all the thick gloopy mud that a farmer's tractor had dropped all over about half a mile of my route. The road was so muddy that Paul had to clean the bike before he could put it in the workshop, let alone start work on it. Jan, Paul's business partner ran me back home and picked me up around half four when the bike was finished. By then, although it was very windy and gusty, the skies had cleared and the sun was shining brightly (straight into my eyes) as, having settled up and had a chat with Jan and Paul, I took my now clean bike on a nice winding twenty mile 'check-out' run home.
    Well satisfied, as always, with Paul's work the bike was tucked away in the bike shed after a nice quick run.

I tried out one of my Mini-DV cameras on the run back but the video is still getting ruined by vibration at certain engine revs. I have yet another cam-mount iteration (the fifth) under build at the moment and hope to get it all working properly before my first track-day of 2012 at Cadwell Park on the 17th April. (I have a perfectly good, vibration free cam-mount but the scrutineers at Cadwell will not let me use it as it is mounted on the tank)

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Awesome!

The weather here was sweet today. I didn't have plans on riding, but when I woke and looked outside I knew I had too! The bike is sitting out there waiting for me to get off work as I write this.

You need to mount your camera on the helmet. Looks like shit, but does the trick.

"The other Ken" made this one this morning.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Awesome!

The weather here was sweet today. I didn't have plans on riding, but when I woke and looked outside I knew I had too! The bike is sitting out there waiting for me to get off work as I write this.

You need to mount your camera on the helmet. Looks like shit, but does the trick.

"The other Ken" made this one this morning.

That's a nice clear vid, good riding too with plenty of 'over the shoulder' safety checks. Seemed odd though to see him looking over his left shoulder. The scrutineers wouldn't allow a helmet fitted camera unless it was a rigid fixture i.e. bonded to the shell and I don't fancy doing that to my Arai which is the only helmet I will wear on track. I'll just have to see how the new mount turns out when it is finished.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

You can bond the mount to the shell, then slide the camera on and off. The mount is super low profile. Less than a centimeter high. I'll get some pictures of the whole rig.

-Mussolini

You can bond the mount to the shell, then slide the camera on and off. The mount is super low profile. Less than a centimeter high. I'll get some pictures of the whole rig.
    **$**!! *!!*^#!!! - latest iteration of camera mount has been scrapped. Tomorrow I am going to do what I should probably have done in the first place which is to make a mould and generate a streamlined, rigid, channel shaped, mount in fibreglass. I'd like to see pics of your helmet mount, Dom.

If that doesn't work I'll bond a mount to my HJC helmet.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-09-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Addition.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

I'm going to email the other Ken now and get you a picture.

-Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    **$**!! *!!*^#!!! - latest iteration of camera mount has been scrapped. Tomorrow I am going to do what I should probably have done in the first place which is to make a mould and generate a streamlined, rigid, channel shaped, mount in fibreglass. I'd like to see pics of your helmet mount, Dom.

If that doesn't work I'll bond a mount to my HJC helmet.

Ken.
    Yesterday I managed to complete the initial fibreglass moulding for my latest attempt at making a vibration proof Mini-DV camera mount. First three layers completed and extracted from the (luckily disposable) mould as I had to carefully break the plaster mould away from one side of the mount to get the moulding out. Now I need to lay up two or three more layers inside the base to get the required thickness on the base section that is sandwiched between the mirror and mirror mount. Then I can measure up and drill it for the camera holder and mounting holes. So far it looks good and is much more rigid than all my previous attempts.

Today was a perfect spring day so I took the Honda out and ran it through three quarters of a tank of gas. Normally I would expect to get about a hundred miles from that much gas - but - the sun was shining, the roads were dry, empty and tempting. Just over sixty miles later I pulled into a gas station running on fumes. Today was the first time I had discovered that the little CBR will do way over 80 in second with four more gears to come and, as I already knew, comfortably over the ton in third - yep! today was a fun ride.

Track-day booked for 17th April at Cadwell, the mini Nurburgring, roll on the day. Hopefully the new cam mount will be finished and tested before then and I might be able to post a video of a lap or two of my favourite circuit, scrutineers permitting.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Holy smokes, 80 in second? Kilometers, or miles per hour?

I installed my S&S V111. Ran into three problems though. The first I'll take credit for.

1. Pinched the hot wire for the new charging system on the exhaust bracket
    2. Couldn't get the new ignition system to fire
    3. See an oil leak at the front of the primary

Fixed the pinched wire, ignition system, and am still trying to locate the exact leak location.

The engine runs strong. It's only been on the lift though. I barely touch the throttle and it snaps well past 2,500 rpms. I mean barely touching it!

This unit is going to scream.

I am going to take my camera into work tomorrow and get this darn camera mount picture.

Actually here is the mount:

http://store.contour.com/contour-profile-mount-p22.aspx

You can't get better than that for low profile!

-Mussolini

Holy smokes, 80 in second? Kilometers, or miles per hour?

I installed my S&S V111. Ran into three problems though. The first I'll take credit for.

1. Pinched the hot wire for the new charging system on the exhaust bracket
    2. Couldn't get the new ignition system to fire
    3. See an oil leak at the front of the primary
    Fixed the pinched wire, ignition system, and am still trying to locate the exact leak location.

The engine runs strong. It's only been on the lift though. I barely touch the throttle and it snaps well past 2,500 rpms. I mean barely touching it!

This unit is going to scream.

I am going to take my camera into work tomorrow and get this darn camera mount picture.

Actually here is the mount:

http://store.contour.com/contour-profile-mount-p22.aspx

You can't get better than that for low profile!
    That is MPH, Dom. As the box is close ratio I'm guessing max speeds in the gears are in the region of 42, 85, 105, 125, 145, 165. If the club ever do another track day at Bruntingthorpe (2.5 mile straight) I will find out.

Have checked the site and picked up a UK supplier for the mount. No good for my camera though but the more I read about the Contour the more I like it. Maybe that is what I will end up with - who can tell <(:-)

Looks like the new engine is going to be a success. Hurry up and find that leak - mind you, should there be a leak on a new engine? Send it back and complain.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-26-2012 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Addition.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

If you end up getting the Countour Roam you won't be disappointed.

The only drawback is you can't remove the battery.

Battery lasts about 3 hours on one charge.

42 in first gear is smoking!

Hopefully I'll be done with my engine this week.

Kind of hard getting out there during to week to work on it.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I don't get home until 10 or so, then Mondays and Wednesdays I arrive around 7.

I can't wait to be done though.

-Mussolini

If you end up getting the Countour Roam you won't be disappointed.

The only drawback is you can't remove the battery.

Battery lasts about 3 hours on one charge.

42 in first gear is smoking!

Hopefully I'll be done with my engine this week.

Kind of hard getting out there during to week to work on it.

Tuesdays and Thursdays I don't get home until 10 or so, then Mondays and Wednesdays I arrive around 7.

I can't wait to be done though.
    Well the new mount is finished and on the bike - just waiting for the bonding for the camera clip to harden. Hopefully will get a chance to try it out over the weekend. It is a much more solid mount than the previous iterations - if it works will post pics, otherwise it will be attacked with a very large and angry hammer. At least it should now satisfy the scutineers at Cadwell as it meets all the requirements they gave me. Fingers crossed.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Well the new mount is finished and on the bike - just waiting for the bonding for the camera clip to harden. Hopefully will get a chance to try it out over the weekend. ........................
    Ken.
    Last night was the first club evening run of the year. As usual we started late, I think we were waiting for a latecomer to arrive so it was just getting dark and just starting to rain (a nasty fine drizzle) as we started off. I had the camera fitted and just let it run through the ride. It covered the whole hour and a bit with no problem - the results, taken in rain, near darkness and darkness are a bit rough but it looks as though I have minimised the vibration problem. Will have to do a run in daylight as soon as possible to check it out properly. The short clip below is about six minutes of clips taken from the hour and a bit recording.

http://s120.photobucket.com/albums/o...Bikvid1_12.mp4

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.