Thread: I'm free!

Pedro

I'm free!

First,

I want to introduce myself. I'm Pedro, 28 years old from Miami, FL. As of this week I have officially liberated myself from the indentured servitude of having a car payment. I sold my 2008 Honda Civic SI coupe and as of today am the new owner of a 1998 Civic DX hatchback.

My "new" vehicle has 145k miles but is in very good mechanical shape. It has an A/C that is ice cold plus power steering which is a rare option on hatchbacks. It has a clean history, nice paint and only a few cosmetic rust spots. This will be the perfect vehicle for the next few years while I finish my engineering degree.

This week I will go through the entire vehicle and flush/replace every fluid.

I wanted to personally thank Eric for his "Pay It Down" article. It really pushed me to make this big move. I'm officially debt free and have an extra $450/month to spend on hookers and blow.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    First,

I want to introduce myself. I'm Pedro, 28 years old from Miami, FL. As of this week I have officially liberated myself from the indentured servitude of having a car payment. I sold my 2008 Honda Civic SI coupe and as of today am the new owner of a 1998 Civic DX hatchback.

My "new" vehicle has 145k miles but is in very good mechanical shape. It has an A/C that is ice cold plus power steering which is a rare option on hatchbacks. It has a clean history, nice paint and only a few cosmetic rust spots. This will be the perfect vehicle for the next few years while I finish my engineering degree.

I wanted to personally thank Eric for his "Pay It Down" article. It really pushed me to make this big move. I'm officially debt free and have an extra $450/month to spend on hookers and blow.

Congratulations. BUT, when was the timing belt changed last? Hondas run forever. My ex-girlfriend had over 200K on hers and it was just starting to smoke blue just a tad. However, it was an '84 and built before they got the rust problems down and it was trying to fold in on itself. The timing belt was the only mechanical issue she really ever had with it, plus a clutch at 170K.

If you have the interference engine and the belt snaps, you will have more in repairs than the car is worth. Belts are cheap insurance. If you have receipts from a recent replacement, then you're golden and just drive on the cheap.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
    Do you know if the timing belt has ever been changed? If not, it's well past the time it should be done and can break any time with no warning. And in many vehicles it can cause major engine damage when it breaks.

See here for when it should be changed.

-Don- SSF, CA