Thread: Eric, need your advice.

Eric, need your advice.

My search for another car has changed. I no longer need to have room for a wheel chair in the back. My dead beat relative is about to pay off the car I was talked into co-signing on. (I have been known to reason with deadbeats rather firmly.) So, I'm widening my search for a car. Since you drive so many, maybe you can give me some advice.

First up, the search parameters. With gas prices going up, mileage is a concern. It needs to be something I can get in and out of without too much trouble. I'm 6 foot and 230 pounds so a Smart Car is out of the question. (I think they're ugly anyway.) I run on the highway a lot and need something that won't beat me to death on long trips. I also have Scottish blood and don't want to spend a bunch of money.

Cars I've looked at and liked are the Nissan Versa 5 door HB. The new Mustang but I don't need a V-8. Cars I won't consider are anything with OnStar, nothing with a sealed transmission, nothing that is maintenance unfriendly. I liked the Avenger/200 twins but you can't check the transmission fluid and the battery is buried in the front fender.

I'll even consider a used car. I'm quite happy with my '98 Taurus but it is about worn out. Plus, for personal reasons, I just don't want to drive it anymore.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Grouch,

I rented the Mazda 3 w/skyactive on a weekend in the Los Angeles, CA area.
    I left my comment at the link below.
    http://ericpetersautos.com/2012/02/1...zda3-skyactiv/

It was a nice small car with good seats and adequate 0-60 power. Cruising at 60-70 mph is relatively quiet with the engine.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

I've been looking at these cars. The Mazda 3 is a rebodied (barely) Ford Focus. Sort of like Mitsubishi did with the Dodge Dakota to get their pickup. A few tweaks and trim changes but the suspension and mechanics are the same. Right now I'm down to the Ford Focus, Nissan Versa (both 5 door hatchbacks) and the Dodge Dart. I haven't driven the Dart yet. The chassis is a couple of years old so I'm not concerned about that. My biggest concern is the plastic cladding underneath and the use of salt around here during the winter. It's an Alfa Romeo under the skin and I don't know how they handle rust proofing. In the 90's, most cars had enough rust proofing from the factory, they didn't dissolve around here. I'm just worried that a Fiat might not be ready for our winters.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Newbie here. Hope I am posting in the right place.

I am thinking to buy a '98 Isuzu Trooper. Should I do this since I have heard that these models have been discontinued.

TIA.