Thread: Engine Stuttering? Maybe water in gas? Help!

Knight

Engine Stuttering? Maybe water in gas? Help!

Hey guys, I have a 2002 Saturn LW200, 4cyl. 2.0 litre gas engine. Got it a few months ago from a prent's friend for cheap, and it's in great condition. 96XXX miles, changed the oil 4k ago (will change again when I can scrounge up some money) and also put in a bottle of Gumout system and gas cleaner, new air filter, new front brake pads and discs (they were warped).

Here's the issue, couple days ago I had to go to the store, hadn't used the car in about a week. Started it up, ran fine. After I came out of the store, started it up, and the engine started to stutter while it was running in the parking space. I watched the RPMs, they dip below about 850 and the engine starts to stutter, then it will rev itself back up to about 950 and stop stuttering for a moment, then slowly come back down and start again. I also noticed driving on the way home that I tried to do some quick accelerating and the engine sort of stuttered and had trouble for about a second, then accelerated fine, this only happened one time. My dad thinks it's either bad gas, water in the gas, or maybe a spark plug. Any ideas before I put more GumOut in the gas?

Thanks,
    Bodhi Knight

Knight
    Hey guys, turns out it was the coil.

Glad you got it sorted. One little tip, that is sometimes of use - when a car tends to cut or stutter if it is a 'soft' stutter it is usually fuel related, if it is a 'sharp' stutter or cut then it is usually spark/ignition related. Not an inviolate, or perfect, rule but helped me out probably about 85% of the time.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.