Thread: Forum Visual Settings

Forum Visual Settings

On this old laptop, at 1024x768, to these old eyes, the icons shown in the topics list for each forum all look basically the same. I.e.,
    - the pastel colors are hardly distinguishable from each other
    - the difference between the 'new messages present' icon and the corresponding 'nothing new' icon is imperceptible.

If there are per-user settings for color, contrast, icon size, whatever, well, where do I find them?

If there are not, please review the forum's appearance on a small screen, and see if you can tweak it to be readable without your glasses, or at least without getting real close to the screen.

Thanks.
    Mike

Hi, Mike.

The style, screen layout and color, as far as I am aware is set by vBulletin. As far as I know there are only two visual options the Default Style - which I guess you are using, and the Mobile Style. The Mobile Style shows up much larger on a PC screen and has larger, clearer icons from the limited glance I took at it. You can access the style selection at the bottom left of the forum screen. I was able to exit the Mobile Screen only by using the 'Back Arrow' - I could not find any other way of getting away back to the standard screen so - if you try it - be warned. It is very different from our standard screen but may help you. Incidentally using your resolution, on my system, the difference in color between the New Posts and No New Posts icons are quite clear. You may be able to enhance your colors by using your video card controller (Saturation and Hue being my initial suggestion)

HTH.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I tried the Mobile Style before posting, and also couldn't find a way to get out of it other than the back arrow.
    I found it unusable on my laptop.
    I'll see if I can change the saturation.
    Thanks for responding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    The style, screen layout and color, as far as I am aware is set by vBulletin.
    vBulletin has the capability of using custom skins, freely available from any of a number of sites or self-generated, but these must be uploaded & enabled by Admin.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
    vBulletin has the capability of using custom skins, freely available from any of a number of sites or self-generated, but these must be uploaded & enabled by Admin.

Good observation, Dave. I think that that is an option that would have to be implemented by Dom.

Ken.

p.s. Have investigated further - vBulletin does allow for Admin to set up their own custom skin from an inbuilt palette. However I'll still leave it to Dom to decide if he wants to change anything.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 01-04-2013 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Updated info.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Hi guys, yeah the sky is the limit on the adjustability of colors/graphic/spacing/etc with vbulletin.

Mike, what colors would you like things to be. Or do you know of a forum I can use as a benchmark and I'll either upload a new skin or make one special for you.

Would you like something higher in contrast?

Here are some examples:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=247

http://www.purevb.com/vbulletin-skins/

http://www.sultantheme.com/vb4forum/...php?styleid=52

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

I like the first one, because the icon colors are a little brighter, but mostly because the icons for {new messages | no new messages} are visually distinct, i.e. different shape _and_ different color.

Hey Mike. Changed the main icons. Cool?

-Mussolini

The one under New Users looks much better.

Awesome! Thank you for letting me know. Sadly the forum doesn't get as much attention as the main page. I love this forum software.

-Mussolini