Thread: "Overhauling" on Disc Channel

"Overhauling" on Disc Channel

I watch "Overhauling" all the time, where they completely disassemble the cars, and when they reassemble them, do they reuse all the various nuts and bolts? How they do that, I can't imagine. If they use new bolts and other fastenings, I wonder how they locate them to fit correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    I watch "Overhauling" all the time, where they completely disassemble the cars, and when they reassemble them, do they reuse all the various nuts and bolts? How they do that, I can't imagine. If they use new bolts and other fastenings, I wonder how they locate them to fit correctly.

Most of the parts are either supplied gratis or at a reduced cost for the advertising exposure. Most likely they use new hardware. A lot of hardware kits come prepackaged in small bags. Windshield trim might be one bag, bumper bolts in another. When I tear a car down to restore, I buy an extra box of baggies and use a marker to say what the parts are from. If I'm rebulding an engine for instance one bag will have the valve cover bolts and another will have water pump bolts. A sharpie marks the bags just fine. That way you don't have to hunt for one missing bolt that got mixed in with some others.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I'd guess they have NAPA and Fastenal on speed dial. ... and a bunch of interns you never see who have to chase down everything to make 'the talent' look good.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    I'd guess they have NAPA and Fastenal on speed dial. ... and a bunch of interns you never see who have to chase down everything to make 'the talent' look good.

They don't really have interns but they do have crew members that aren't usually on camera. If it looks easy, that's because they break the bolts loose and do several takes before the shot that gets on the air. The only one that really shows the work as it's done is Spike TVs "Search and Restore". It replaces their Power Block at times. They have a lot of volunteers roll in and specialize.

I watch some of the other shows but shows like "Fast and Loud" on Discovery don't make me want to buy a car from those guys. Bring it in, slap some paint and parts and sell it fast. I've got a '55 Tbird in my garage that a friend bought and it's been in there for 5 months while I track down leaks and sloppy work by past parts replacers. (Not really mechanics.) Now, it the trim shop can put the upholstery on, it'll be on its way in a couple of weeks.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.