Thread: Tom & I got legally married.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV

Tom & I got legally married.

""I support gay marriage because I believe Conservatives support the institutions of commitment."
    -George Osborne

"I don't understand what the big deal is with gay marriage. Get over it, people."
    -Kristin Chenoweth

On July 5, 2013, after our 39 year engagement, Tom & I got legally married in Redwood City, CA.

Perhaps some of our liberty is coming back!

-Don-

Only 39 years - are you sure you aren't rushing into things guys? Mind you, Diane and I only waited 13 years before tying the knot so who are we to talk? Congratulations to you, Don, and Tom and may you continue to be happy together for the rest of your days.

Ken & Diane.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Only 39 years - are you sure you aren't rushing into things guys? Mind you, Diane and I only waited 13 years before tying the knot so who are we to talk? Congratulations to you, Don, and Tom and may you continue to be happy together for the rest of your days.

Ken & Diane.
    Thanks. We had to wait this long for US politics, which takes forever. Also takes some luck, as with our Supreme Court, as almost every issue is ruled with a 5-4 and we won two important issues with that 5-4 this time. Now Tom & I are as legally married as any other couple in CA. But if we move to some other states, in fact most others, it's not clear what will happen to our marriage. Might take a few dozen more lawsuits before some other issues are worked out.

We own another home in NV. Not sure what will happen if we make that location our primary residence. I don't think it has been decided as of yet.

You can see our photo of us taken in February of 1975, in my profile. That was just several months after we first met.

We have not changed a bit since then.

Here we are these days, to compare that with.

-Don- (& husband Tom)

Congratulations. Alas, you now have in-laws. :-) Seriously, one of the gals at work is getting ready to marry her long time girl friend. She held off because of the tax hammering they would take. The repeal of DOMA lessens that.

I figure if you're happy together, it's nobody else's business if you get married or not.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Congratulations. Alas, you now have in-laws. :-) Seriously, one of the gals at work is getting ready to marry her long time girl friend. She held off because of the tax hammering they would take.
    I earn more than ten times what Tom does (who is now retired) , so us getting legally married is nothing but advantages in every way we can think of.

When both have equal and decent incomes is when it is best to NOT marry when it comes to taxes.

-Don- SSF, CA

Congratulations!

Thanks all.

BTW, how come Eric has been so quiet these days?

-Don-

Congrats to the both of you!

My understanding is that other states have to respect CA's marriage laws. Which doesn't mean you won't face discrimination, of course.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Congrats to the both of you!

My understanding is that other states have to respect CA's marriage laws. Which doesn't mean you won't face discrimination, of course.

Chip H.
    Thanks.

I don't think it's clear as of yet what will happen if Tom & I move to another state that doesn't allow same-sex marriage. Many things will have to be decided in the coming months since only one section of the DOMA was repealed.

-Don- SSF, CA