Thread: RV breaks down thousands of miles from home.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV

RV breaks down thousands of miles from home.

Our RV crapped out here near Toronto a few days ago. Bad CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor). RV would not restart right after getting gasoline. I troubleshot it and discovered no spark and no pulses on the low side of the ignition coil. I carry many spare ignition parts. Everything except the ECM (Electronic Control Module the RV's main computer) and CPS, of course. But it was a cheap repair, only around $250.00 Canadian dollars. That's less than two tanks of gasoline in that RV. I already had the engine covers off and such making the job easy for the repair place. And I told them I would put it all back together after they get the engine running. I would rather do all that myself as I have done it many times and I have a lot of my own wiring in there that I don't want messed with.

I don't think I could replce the CPS myself on the road anyway, because of it's location under the vehicle.

For the first time, I used my Spot Messenger to call for a tow truck via satellite. I was very impressed. The tow truck showed up in less than 10 minutes and towed me to the largest auto repair shop I ever saw, Assured Automotive in Woodbridge. They do everything there, including body work as well as repair anything automotive. They even rent cars for Enterprise. RV is now all fixed and running well. We are now in a RV park in Brampton, ON.

We rented a car which we will use here all week before coming down to the USA in the RV.

We have poor RenoBoy Doggy in a doggy kennel near here, for a week. The poor doggy really didn't want to leave us and made that very obvious.

We will stay in this area for a few more days or so and then head for Gettysburg, PA and Wash DC and such.

-Don- (just north of Toronto, in Brampton, ON, Canada)

Glad you guys got fixed so quickly, Don. Assured looks like a big organisation from what I can see and I guess that they will want to put their new Woodbridge plant firmly in the 'Good place to go' bracket.

Enjoy the rest of your holiday but question - Why is RenoBoy in kennels and not having fun with you and Tom?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Ummmmm........don't forget Renoboy when you hit the road. He may be really, really annoyed with you when you pick him up. I had a dog that in the 16 years she lived with me, she was only kenneled once. I went on a trip and couldn't take her with me. That dog gave me some of the dirtiest looks for a week afterward.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Enjoy the rest of your holiday but question - Why is RenoBoy in kennels and not having fun with you and Tom?

Ken.
    When the RV broke down, we had little choice. But later we decided to leave him there for a few days so we won't have to keep coming back to let the doggy out. We can stay out all day and night. The plan now is to pick up the doggy on Saturday and then we leave here on Monday, first going to Niagara Falls and then down to Gettysburg, PA.

We probably not lock the doggy up anymore on this trip, but it does have some good advantages when spending a full week in a RV park.

-Don- (in Brampton, ON, Canada)

For Renoboy.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    For Renoboy.

RenoBoy says "Woof!". That means "thanks!"

You guys made us feel guilty. We bailed RenoBoy out of jail today. He is with us again. It's a bummer when the innocent are in jail.

We plan on leaving Canada on Monday in the RV and go back to the USA, after a short stop at Niagara Falls.

-Don- (We're till in Brampton, ON, Canada).

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Don't feel guilty about leaving a dog in a kennel for a while. Some of them are quite nice. The dog will tell you which ones when you show up to leave them for the second time. That's a problem when you're traveling, of course.

Our family's dogs highly recommend Holly Acres Pet Resort in Cooper City, FL, which is far out of your way,
    and Camp Bow-Wow in South Windsor, CT, which is a little less out of your way. The latter is part of a chain, which has another operation in Columbia, MD, a mere 54 miles from Gettsyburg.

Yeah, there is a large one in Reno that I think most doggies enjoy. They have plenty of room to run around on a hillside. A rich guy owns the place and runs it as his hobby. We left our doggies there a few times and they didn't seem to mind. The last time was when we went to China for a month.

BTW, it's hard to leave to Toronto area when there's so many good Asian restaurants to explore. Especially for Tommy. I think I might have to leave him here.

-Don- (near Toronto, ON, Canada)