Thread: Forum Grand Reopening!

Forum Grand Reopening!

Aight, so the question..

How should we organize this forum and integrate it with the main page?

Eric suggested perhaps consolidating the forums down a bit.

I'm thinking how to integrate the main page with the forum?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Southside, Virginia, way out in the sticks.
    I would suggest leaving the forums as they are. If home page users begin to use the forum more, new threads will be added as users begin to start discussions on their own in the existing areas, and Eric's articles have been posted here lately, so some users would be inclined to discuss the articles in the threads Eric creates for his new articles. Starting a thread for new articles as they are created for the main page would be integration as well, wouldn't it? New sub-forums could be added as needed, too.

I like the forum layout and have never gotten quite used to the way the main page threads develop. Here, users can edit their posts for errors and caould ignore users who rub them the wrong way. Also, here, users can start another thread when they want to veer off topic. Anyway, I think I'd be more inclined to use the forum for discussion, and for send PMs to other members. It'd be nice to see this take off.

Aight, then.

At the moment it looks as though we are neither one thing nor the other. I say stick with the Forum, it is logical, structured, well laid out and very easy to navigate. One can home in on pet subjects and, if one wants, ignore less (personally) interesting outpourings.

The Main Page, I feel, should be kept mainly for articles - whether by Eric or any other contributor - but responses and comments should be linked only to the particular article not in the 'As it comes' format we currently have where comments are not, apparently, related to anything.

In my opinion, since we went over to the current format, the Forum, except for a few of us diehards, has been slowly dying. Perhaps making the Forum the main focus for discussions (with, as we used to have, the ability for Admin to elevate a Thread to 'Article' status) between our members might begin a process of revitalisation. For me the Forum 'rules'.

For my own forum, 'On Two Wheels', I am wondering if we should change to a 'bike classification' sub-forum format for our threads, e.g. Custom, Cruising, Sports/Touring, Supersports, Adventure/Off Road, maybe with a 'General Chat/Help needed sub-forum. Perhaps this might be more attractive for the two wheel afficionados of the various disciplines of our preferred transport. Anyone care to comment?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I'm down with pretty much all you've said. Going to spent some time thinking about it.

-Mussolini

I'm with you, Ken. Sections on wrenchin' and car/bike related discussions are essential, since epautos is after all a car site. With so many sections here already, finding a discussion for a desired topic is easy, just as the site exists now. I just noticed that there are 108 users online right now. Wow.

Dom,

Although the non-vbulletin part has some nice graphics, this site is easier for me to follow discussions. This is especially true when the comments mushroom to over 100 in number.

If long threads are problematic, it is possible to lock a thread at "X" number of comments and then go to part 2 of the thread.

On the epautos site: Where (or how) can I re-register? I do not see a button or place for one to re-register.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Hey, Mith. I was looking for that button to re-register as well. Once the home page regulars who recently registered here start participating, this could become a jumping forum again. Maybe more of the long time registered members of the forum here will resume participation.
    Last edited by Ed; 09-30-2013 at 06:03 PM. Reason: fat fingers typos

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Dom,
    On the epautos site: Where (or how) can I re-register? I do not see a button or place for one to re-register.
    Should be okay now. Please let me know.

-Mussolini

Good work Dom.

I can now see the link.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez