Thread: Only certain forums should be visible to the public

Only certain forums should be visible to the public

Before I got registered on the forums I noticed that I was able to view all of the forums without registering. I think only the helpful type forums (like car tips and that sort of stuff) should be viewable to the public. I see a lot of "viewers" on the other forums but virtually no new posts. I think forcing people to register in order to view will get more people to register and in turn bring more posts to the forums.

For anyone looking to register: Yes, the "registration" button isn't working. But you can e-mail Eric or Dom to get registered. (I think what I just typed should be shown after people click the "registration" button).

Just sayin'

On the other hand, Jacob, if people cannot see what has been posted how will they know whether or not they would wish to register?

Originally it was possible to register via the Registration button. Sadly the extreme proliferation of automated computer 'Spammer' registrations (I was spending hours a day checking and deleting them) meant that we had little option but to shut down the Registration option. As you say, for those who are genuinely interested, an email to Eric or Dom will do the trick.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Good point.

That sucks about the spammers. I notice at the bottom of the forum page that there was a record amount of viewers online on 10-18-2013... I'm assuming from the lack of posts that most of these were mostly spam bots on this date..... unless there is some huge following of anonymous guests on this forum.

Around 200 - 300 anonymous guests, at any one time, is not uncommon, Jacob. I think we can assume that, now the Registration button has been killed, the figures we are showing at the bottom of the Forum page are probably representative of our current viewing averages.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.