Thread: Yo!

Yo!

That's a Philly-ism. I'm originally from Germany, but the Philly area is where I've spent most of my life. I own small business that's automotive related and kinda techy; we hack a certain brand of German cars for a living. I have a slew of those cars around, as well as a couple of bikes, which I've been to 26 states and 5 Canadian provinces on. Earlier this year, I also bought some woods to throw stuff in (preferably at 1200 fps or more). They happen to be in the same county that Eric call home, but that's a coincidence; we selected it before I became aware of this site. My political philosophy has changed over the years. I've come from being a large-L Libertarian in my misguided youth to realizing that those guys are just slightly less evil statists than the Pachyderms and Jackasses are. Over the past five years I've also come to realize that we're in a world of hurt economically. My business has done well and I don't owe anyone a cent, but if you look at the western world's macro picture, the enormous overhang of debt (both public and private) that's been allowed to accumulate spells some really difficult/interesting times ahead.

Oh hey, Uwe - good to meet ya. I can relate to your political philosophy journey, though my path was different. I haven't self-declared any labels yet here, but they get thrown around a lot and some see themselves as Defenders of the Faith, lol, though no one asked them to. Tech'ing German cars - that says a lot and I like it. And yes, interesting times...

Yo. Glad to see more people joining the forums.

What drives me nuts about the main site (and why I registered for the forum) is that there's no "New Posts", "Today's posts", or "Activity Stream" kind of function. Yes, of course there's the floating "What's happening box", but it only has the most recent 5 or 6 posts; not good enough if you actually work for a living and can't spend all day watching the site. Maybe I've overlooked something there?

Southside, Virginia, way out in the sticks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    What drives me nuts about the main site (and why I registered for the forum) is that there's no "New Posts", "Today's posts", or "Activity Stream" kind of function. Yes, of course there's the floating "What's happening box", but it only has the most recent 5 or 6 posts; not good enough if you actually work for a living and can't spend all day watching the site. Maybe I've overlooked something there?
    There's a little icon on the main site home page view that allows you to view all posts starting with most recent. It's near the top and looks like a dialog balloon from a cartoon. Right click on it and open it in a new tab. What makes it hard to stay on a thread on the main site is the way the comments nest. The "reply" button drops off, sometimes after the first reply, and you have to scroll up looking for the earlier one and hoping that it puts your comment into the right nest so that it's in the string you're replying to.

I tried subscribing for email alerts to new comments, but then found I couldn't unsubscribe once the discussion drifted off my area of interest in the thread.

Anyway, glad to see you found the forum. Eric has been posting his articles here so that discussions can take place here as well, but most of the forum regulars prefer the main page commenting form. This format is what I'm most used to using, ever since the old mid 1990s days of the BBS. I still have friends from those old days and get emails from time to time from participants in long gone forums. Guess I should say "fora" instead, but who cares about Latin grammar anymore? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Uwe View Post
    Good information! I'll see what I can do about fixing it. Personally, I prefer the forum.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    There's a little icon on the main site home page view that allows you to view all posts starting with most recent. It's near the top and looks like a dialog balloon from a cartoon.
    I must be blind because I can NOT find it.

Suggestion for Dom: Put something like that in the Tools menu please.

Uwe, there's a dark gray taskbar at the top of the homepage. From the left it reads, EPAutos, the balloon symbol which sometimes has a number beside it (for the number of posts awaiting moderation), then +NEW then SEO.

Of course, I may be hallucinating the fuggin thang. ahaha

Uwe, there's a dark gray taskbar at the top of the homepage. From the left it reads, EPAutos, the balloon symbol which sometimes has a number beside it (for the number of posts awaiting moderation), then +NEW then SEO.
    I don't see that either, and I just realized something: I think you have to be a "registered" user on the home page for that icon to appear. And even though I'm registered here on the forums, I'm not registered on the home page site, so I don't see that icon.

Maybe so. I could still be hallucinating it, though.

Maybe so. I could still be hallucinating it, though.
    Maybe not - I just went to check it out and up popped a message telling me that my name is invalid. Strange, I thought I was me but maybe I'm actually someone else. Or maybe it's just me, or too much Tenessee Honey.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Maybe not - I just went to check it out and up popped a message telling me that my name is invalid. Strange, I thought I was me but maybe I'm actually someone else. Or maybe it's just me, or too much Tenessee Honey.

Ken.
    I did have to re-register after that last site attack. You may need to do the same. I thought I was me, too. Maybe I ain't. Maybe it's like Ridley Walker said in the Russell Hoban novel: "Eusa's head is dreaming us all". ahaha

I did have to re-register after that last site attack. You may need to do the same. I thought I was me, too. Maybe I ain't. Maybe it's like Ridley Walker said in the Russell Hoban novel: "Eusa's head is dreaming us all". ahaha
    Ha!, I can't try re-registering - the bit where one would sign in/register refuses to show itself. All I can see is the bottom two millimeters of the password box. Still, as I never use the front page I'll sort it in slow time.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

+100 for the Ridley Walker quote! What an amazing novel.

Yep, my favorite Hoban novel.

" bullshit with him, cow shit with you. I don't see the differents". or "Just suck your thum qwiet and stop givin me inner fearents".

I still think "ARGA-WARGA" when I see a dog go after somebody. ahaha

Last ot, promise, don't want to mess with the puter leets.

In 85 I was in the ME for a few months - one night I was out on the water in the bay till after dark, docked & walked up to our office in hopes of a ride back to the hotel. Closed up & dark, but I heard a sound out back in the small parking lot. I walked back there hoping it was the last person out getting in the car. Turned the corner and it was a pack of feral dogs, about a dozen, all shapes & sizes, checking out the dumpster. What I saw was a dozen sets of teeth with curled back lips, pointed at me, heard a chorus of low growling. This is not my ride back. I stood a little straighter, showed my teeth, and slowly backed around the corner. Made it back in a taxi eventually. If I'd have turned and run back in the parking lot it would have been ARGA WARGA for sure. I don't think anyone keeps dogs as pets over there, they're just used as street cleaners.
    Last edited by Horse Badorties; 12-06-2013 at 09:29 PM.

"If I'd have turned and run back in the parking lot it would have been ARGA WARGA for sure."

Maybe you just found out you was dog frendy, Horse. I've been thinking in Ridley Walker language today.