Thread: What's your home defense gun, and why?

What's your home defense gun, and why?

I shared this story in a different thread but I'm going to paraphrase it here:

I used to keep a 12 gauge double barrel shotgun as my home defense gun (kept it just beside my bed). One night I was awoken in the middle of the night by a noise that I thought was someone trying to break into my house through the back patio. While walking towards the patio I was scared shitless of the thought that the 2 rounds in my shotgun might not be enough, let alone if I missed twice. Since then I've read up on the subject of home defense and now, at the bare minimum. keep either a 5 or 6 shot revolver on my nightstand (with a flashlight for the other hand). I also keep a fully loaded "high capacity assault rifle" in my closet. I try to mentally train myself to go for the "high capacity assault rifle" first but because I'm so used to carrying a handgun with me that will probably be my first line of defense... the thought of diving into my closet for the "assault rifle" is probably just a pipe dream but it's some nice peace of mind knowing that it's there.

Just two weeks ago I bought a glock 19 (for those who don't know that's a 15+1 9mm handgun) and it is my newest addition to my home defense lineup.

I have yet to have to use any of my guns against an actual intruder but I know from talking to former friends (former friends because they turned into either complete drug addicts or snitch apologists) that just the threat alone of me owning guns, and my willingness to use them and carry at least one with me everytime I leave the house, keeps a lot of "bad shit" away from my house. Or at the very least, it keeps the "bad guys" thinking twice about fucking with me. Case in point: one of the last time I was hanging out with my drug addict friends I got into it with one of them because he is a pill head thief. He wanted to beat my ass because I was making fun of his pill addiction when he whimpily told me "I'd beat your ass right now but you'd probably just pull out your gun and shoot me"... long story short, the 95 pound pill head did not beat my ass nor did I pull out my gun but I have since completely distanced myself from that crowd.

Another story: I live in a pretty nice golf course community. Across the street from my house is one of a handful of parks around the neighborhood. A few months ago I came home from work to find some homeless shithead sleeping there. It was over 110 degrees outside and he was in the wearing a sweatshirt. For those of you not "in the know" that means he was high as fuck, probably on heroin, taking himself a nice little nap in the park where little kids like to play. I had just had a bad day at work so the sight of him pissed me off. I grabbed my .357 and my german shepherd and woke his ass up and told him to "get the fuck out of here". At first he was smiling, then he tried being a hardass, but when his sleepy ass saw my .357 on my hip he grabbed his backpack, hopped on his mountain bike, and left. Oh, he called me an "evil piece of shit faggot" too but I suppose that's beside the point...

Anyways, what's your home defense gun?

Whatever one I've been carrying that day. It goes on the nightstand next to me when I go to bed. Exactly what that is depends on where I was that day, how I was dressed, my mood, and the phase of the moon.

Southside, Virginia, way out in the sticks.
    "what's your home defense gun?"

All of them. I only have one game hunting piece, a Remington .22LR semi. All the rest are defense weapons. What's closest to hand at night, after bedtime is the Mossberg 500 and a Ruger Speed Six .357. Daytimes it depends on where I am in the house as to what I would pick up, but I prefer my wheelguns. I carry either a 1911 in .45 acp or my Colt Double Eagle when I leave the house.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    After I got my NV driver's license and made NV my permanent residence (after I retired a year and a half ago), I went gun crazy. I now own 137 guns! I mostly buy guns that are NOT legal here in CA (where I am from and am right now) , but perfectly legal in NV where I own two other homes and keep the guns in several bolted down gun safes, with internet cameras (I can view them from here) as well as have alarms. The guns are almost worth as much as the houses!

I do have a NV CCW (Concealed Carry Permit). But the problem with such is that they are normally no good in the places where most likely needed, such as in some areas of California.

The main reason I have the CCW is because I have been buying a lot of guns and the CCW waives the $25.00 background check in NV, each time a gun is purchased.

For home, I have a good supply of guns to choose from, but I normally don't worry about such.

While I don't really bother with concealed carry anywhere, not even in NV where it is legal for me, I do have many weapons I would like for concealed carry, if I wanted to. Such as my S&W BodyGuard, my Rugar LCP .380 and my DoubleTap .45 which can change to 9 MM.

I prefer automatics, and I find they are very reliable as long as they are kept clean and lubed (espcally the LCP).

But I also have some very light revolvers, such as my S&W .38 AirLight.

I also own the .22 version of above.

I am also very much into rifles. I own several AR15's, AK47's (both as pistols and rifles). VEPR (5.45 MM) AK74, several Mosin Nagants, SKS's etc.

Tom is more into antique guns and likes mainly old Walther PPK pistols and very old Winchester Rifles. He has a C & R license and can have such shipped direct to our homes without going through a FFL.

-Don- SSF, CA

Double wow !!!

What an arsenal !!!

I don't even own a pea shooter !!!

I've got two rifles, both are .22 plinkers. Neither has been fired in years but get cleaned and oiled every now and then anyway. The one is NOT for sale at any price as while it isn't a very expensive weapon, my father gave it to me for my 17th birthday. I'd bought other weapons through the years, even swapped a few off, that one stays with me period.

I have various pistols around. A .22 automatic I carry when selling a car, a .38 snub nose that slips in a pocket or glove box easy (I have a tree farm and have had trouble with meth labs up there) but my main home defense weapons are my .45LC revolver, a .357 in the garage and a .22 revolver I've had for years and is dead on accurate. I'm within a few steps of any of them anywhere in the house. I've got a personal protection permit (concealed carry) good for life as long as I don't move or do something stupid and get it pulled. I think the .22 revolver is the nastiest of the bunch as it has a long barrel for good bullet velocity and the light slug will bounce around inside a target. The .45LC is a modern version of Colonel Colts "Equalizer" and will drop anybody I hit.

I've thought about getting a S&W .500 for some time. I don't really need one, there's just something about them.
    Last edited by grouch; 04-22-2015 at 07:06 PM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    Double wow !!!

What an arsenal !!!

I don't even own a pea shooter !!!
    Hawaii is about as bad as CA when it comes to guns. When it's easy to buy guns without a lot of BS, it's a lot different. No waiting periods or anything like that in NV. NV has few state gun laws, so it's just the federal stuff mostly.

One may even fire full automatic in NV--and I have. There are two ways to legally own full auto weapons in NV. Even though it is federal, the feds won't issue any type of full auto license to places such as Hawaii and CA, where the state has a problem with such.

Many people in NV have an interest in guns. There's even a large free shooting range in CC, provided by the CC Park and Rec. Department. Try to find something like that in Hawaii or CA! Good luck!

-Don- SSF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I've got two rifles, both are .22 plinkers. Neither has been fired in years but get cleaned and oiled every now and then anyway.
    Are any of them old enough to be .22WRF? We own a few of those. There are many types of .22 ammo and .22 WRF is probably the oldest and now rarest. Hasn't been made for years.

-Don- SSF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Are any of them old enough to be .22WRF? We own a few of those. There are many types of .22 ammo and .22 WRF is probably the oldest and now rarest. Hasn't been made for years.

-Don- SSF, CA

I fire .22LR in all of them. Even the little pop gun. I'm not even familiar with WRF. The long rifle has enough punch to do business. Especially in the revolver. No recoil to mention for someone my size, but it will punch a hole. About a 6 inch barrel gets good muzzle velocity.

Indiana is fairly liberal about firearms. There's an instant background check when you buy a handgun. I don't know about long guns. Indiana as a state has the mind set that if you do something stupid and take yourself out of the gene pool, tough. Don't hurnt someone else though. Getting my carry license was fairly easy. Now, do something stoopid and a police officer takes your weapon and permit away, you have to go in front of a judge to get it back. Easy to get the first time, definitely NOT easy to get back.

I've held a .460 and .500. Never fired one though. I used to date a gal whose father was a gunsmith who made .45-70 revolvers. They were all sold out for months in advance. We went down to the river to test fire some getting ready to ship. He didn't tell me the test loads were double charged. It took a while to find my watch as the shock of firing broke the band and it went flying. I don't know if I'd fire a .500. It would just be something cool to own.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

WRF = Winchester Rim Fire. .22LR on the left and .22 WRF on the right. I envy you guys - over here they call out the SWAT squad to young kids with toy guns.

Ken.

Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I've held a .460 and .500. Never fired one though. I used to date a gal whose father was a gunsmith who made .45-70 revolvers. They were all sold out for months in advance. We went down to the river to test fire some getting ready to ship. He didn't tell me the test loads were double charged. It took a while to find my watch as the shock of firing broke the band and it went flying. I don't know if I'd fire a .500. It would just be something cool to own.
    With all my guns, I don't have a .500 anything. Perhaps I will add one to my collection.

But I do have some interesting large pistols, such as the AR-15 pistol (5.56 MM) I put together myself (top in photo above) and an AK47 Pistol (7.62 x 39 MM).

Both are totally unpractical for much of anything, but still kinda fun to fire.

araklbps_zpsptoi2ype.jpg

-Don- SSF, CA
    Last edited by DonTom; 04-25-2015 at 11:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    WRF = Winchester Rim Fire. .22LR on the left and .22 WRF on the right. I envy you guys - over here they call out the SWAT squad to young kids with toy guns.

Ken.

If you've ever noticed, the UK and America have different attitudes towards our politicians. Yours stand for office. Ours run. Rupert Murdoch has been trying to pull his old stunts here in the U.S. he's done for years in Britain and Australia. He owns Fox News and it's supposed pro-gun stance but I've heard talking heads on there say someone should be prosecuted for defending themselves. A young woman with a baby just a few months old and who's husband died about a month previously shot an armed intruder who broke in after she retreated as far as possible. When he came at her with a knife, she shot him with a shotgun. No British or Australian Prime Minister has been elected in the last 30 years without his endorsement. This includes the Prime Minister in the early 90's who confiscated all the firearms in Australia.

I've had a pistol butt pop out of my jacket and a police officer asked me if I had a permit to carry it concealed. I said yes and asked if he wanted to see it. He didn't, he just wanted to ask if I had one. What would happen in Britain if that happened?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    With all my guns, I don't have a .500 anything. Perhaps I will add one to my collection.

But I do have some interesting large pistols, such as the AR-15 pistol (5.56 MM) I put together myself (top in photo above) and an AK47 Pistol (7.62 x 39 MM).

Both are totally unpractical for much of anything, but still kind fun to fire.

araklbps_zpsptoi2ype.jpg

-Don- SSF, CA

I've marveled at the S&W .500 as well as the .460 revolvers as they are the first hand guns I've ever seen with muzzle brakes on the barrel. They are there to keep the muzzle from flying up too badly. More kick back and less kick up. I've also seen a .50 automatic pistol. The guy at the gun shop said his brother had one but couldn't fire it as he wasn't able to jack the slide back to load it. I'm not big on automatics as I've found revolvers to be more reliable and less likely to jam. I sort of wish my .45LC was a double action, although that would have meant my murdering my answering machine.

I was in bed one night and it sounded like someone in the house. I figured it was kids outside as I do turn in early. I heard it again and figured I might be hearing things. The third time I definitely DID hear something. I pulled the .45 out and set it on half cock and went through the house looking. I have a extremely small house (750 sq. feet) and have lived here the better part of 30 years. I know every inch of the place. Figuring I was just hearing things, I went back to bed. As I passed the answering machine, it spoke up with "Reset time and date". I probably went two feet straight up, aimed and pulled the trigger. It was still on half cock so it didn't go off. Had it been an automatic, I'd have had a dead answering machine.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I've marveled at the S&W .500 as well as the .460 revolvers as they are the first hand guns I've ever seen with muzzle brakes on the barrel. They are there to keep the muzzle from flying up too badly. More kick back and less kick up.
    It's called "porting". It's not uncommon. Even my DoupleTap 9 MM has such.

See here.

-Don- SSF, CA

I've had a pistol butt pop out of my jacket and a police officer asked me if I had a permit to carry it concealed. I said yes and asked if he wanted to see it. He didn't, he just wanted to ask if I had one. What would happen in Britain if that happened?
    Don't even think about it - a citizen carrying a concealed weapon? Obviously a homicidal maniac about to murder everyone in their beds! My guess is that the officer, on seeing a suspected weapon, (Hardly likely to be an actual weapon as any handgun is banned by law) would move away and call for an armed response unit. They would turn up with blues and twos full blast waving weapons around and shouting like demented boy scouts. (I never could understand our police force's predilection for shouting and screaming.) At least I suspect the 'suspect', even if he could understand their shouts and yells, and complied with their instructions, would be handled very severely. At most he would be tasered or shot.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 04-25-2015 at 08:29 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Don't even think about it - a citizen carrying a concealed weapon? Obviously a homicidal maniac about to murder everyone in their beds! My guess is that the officer, on seeing a suspected weapon, (Hardly likely to be an actual weapon as any handgun is banned by law) would move away and call for an armed response unit. They would turn up with blues and twos full blast waving weapons around and shouting like demented boy scouts. (I never could understand our police force's predilection for shouting and screaming.) At least I suspect the 'suspect', even if he could understand their shouts and yells, and complied with their instructions, would be handled very severely. At most he would be tasered or shot.

Ken.

Like the movie "Hot Fuzz"? I've always wondered about the phrase "blues and twos". I'm pretty sure the blues is the blue lights on the roof. The Kentucky State Police use blue lights. Most other police departments use blue and red. In Indiana, volunteer fire fighters use blue lights but in Kentucky they use red. What does the word "twos" refer to?

Around here, if the sheriff gets into a gunbattle and a civilian backs them up, it's a good thing and often gets praise. I guess that isn't the case in Britain.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Like the movie "Hot Fuzz"? I've always wondered about the phrase "blues and twos". I'm pretty sure the blues is the blue lights on the roof. The Kentucky State Police use blue lights. Most other police departments use blue and red. In Indiana, volunteer fire fighters use blue lights but in Kentucky they use red. What does the word "twos" refer to?

Around here, if the sheriff gets into a gunbattle and a civilian backs them up, it's a good thing and often gets praise. I guess that isn't the case in Britain.
    'Blues' are the blue rotating/flashing lights on the roof or behind the grille on unmarked cars. 'Twos' are the two tone 'Wah-Wah' sirens that announce their coming - at maximum decibels - in order to give the criminals plenty of time to get away. Also used on Fire trucks and Ambulances which may also use a shrill multifrequency sound system that is supposed to make it easier to determine the direction the vehicle is coming from.

Belive you me, I would not want to get involved in any fracas that involved our LEOs - I would probably be the only one that ended up in jail.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 04-26-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

I have to admit, the first time I was authorized to make a code 3 run, I had a silly grin on my face and giggled like a little girl. Especially since I was the motor officer and...um...modified the speaker on my Federal box. Instead of the wimpy little 40 watt unit, I sawed the front of the horn down and put a 100 watt unit up there in the light bar.

Now, I'll translate what I said. Code 3 was lights and siren authorized. Code 2 is lights but no siren. Code one is get there as quick as possible but no lights or sirens. Being a volunteer, my chief had to authorize the runs. The Fedral box was the siren/PA unit made by Federal signal Corporation. The car I usually drove was modified in other ways. We had an '85 Ford LTD that everyone wanted to drive. I drove an older, more boxy '80 LTD with the timing....uh....tweaked a bit. It would smoke the tires in first and chirp them going into second and third. My chief drove it on a fairly long trip once and when he got back, I gt a phone call saying I might want to retune the engine. He got tired of that ignition "peck, peck, peck" all the way to the state capital and back. Neary 400 miles.
    Honk if you love Jesus.