Thread: 12 gauge shotgun recoil reduction

Thumbs up 12 gauge shotgun recoil reduction

About 2 years ago I bought a mossberg 500 12 gauge with a pistol grip (the "Just In Case" model that comes with a pretty kickass waterproof case). I thought it was the perfect home defense shotgun until I took it out and shot it. Having all that recoil go straight into my hand was a rude awakening to me.

I have since bought this stock: http://www.amazon.com/Phoenix-Techno...ology+kicklite

It's a "Phoenix Technology Kicklite" stock. It's got a fat piece of soft rubber attached to the end of a 5-point adjustable stock. The stock itself has a fat spring inside of it. With this stock I can shoot 3 inch magnum loads with no pain from the recoil. Standard 2 3/4 inch shell recoil is totally absorbed by this stock. No shoulder pain after a day of shooting.

I am not sponsored by this product at all, but I'd like to spread the word that this is one of my favorite gun add ons that I've purchased. I have been called a whimp for using this stock, but fuck (butt fuck, ha) needless recoil pain.

One of the biggest reasons I made the jump to drop about 100 bucks (after shipping, handling, and tax it was like 108 bucks delivered to my door) to get this Kicklite stock was this story:

I used to have a double barrel 12 gauge shotgun that I kept loaded as my "home defense" gun. (before I get deeper into this story I just want to say I have never had to use a gun in self defense). One night, just over two years ago, I was awoken in the middle of the night by a loud banging noise out on my patio. I grabbed my gun and started walking from my bedroom towards the patio. I was scared shitless, my mind was racing. I was thinking "oh fuck, am I really about to have to shoot someone? The neighbors will call the cops and I'll have to deal with that. Do I have anything illegal inside my house? Oh fuck, the noise from this thing is going to make my ears hurt so bad. I only have two shots, what if I miss twice?" Also racing through my sleepy mind was "oh shit, the recoil from this double barrel is going to hurt so fucking bad"... when I got to the patio I turned on the lights and found that the wind was gusting really hard and was blowing directly against a window, making a weird noise that, in my sleepy mind, sounded like someone trying to open the window. Needless to say, I was totally relieved, but that scenario was a big wake up call to what I use as a home defense gun. I suppose one of us here in the forums should start a "home defense gun" thread but as far as home defense goes, I now only use guns that I am very comfortable shooting. I still own and love my double barrel 12 gauge, but it's just a range gun now.

*edit #2: In my avatar picture is a single shot 12 gauge. Whenever I shoot it I tape a piece of styrofoam over the butt stock because without something to soften the recoil I get a bruise on my shoulder if I shoot more than like 3 rounds. For anyone who has never shot a single shot gun: the recoil is significantly higher in single shots because they're a lot lighter than they're higher capacity counter parts.
    Last edited by Jacob; 12-07-2013 at 12:12 AM. Reason: added details to the story that came to mind after I typed it

Southside, Virginia, way out in the sticks.
    That tinfoil hat prepper pic is the shitz, Jacob. I haven't owned a pistol grip shotgun. I guess it's a way of getting a really short shotgun, with the ATF standing ready to Waco anyone with a barrel less than 18". I manage recoil with my Mossberg 500 (great pumpgun at a good price) by pulling the butt tight against my shoulder. Those single shots do kick like a mule, though. I had a 16 gauge single as my first shotgun. Later I bought a 16 gauge double Fox Model B. Big difference in recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    That tinfoil hat prepper pic is the shitz, Jacob.
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    I manage recoil with my Mossberg 500 (great pumpgun at a good price) by pulling the butt tight against my shoulder.
    I need to practice more with my shotguns. The last time I shot a single shot without using anything to protect myself against the recoil I was shooting slugs and developed a flinch... bruised the shit out of my shoulder by leaving probably an inch gap between the gun and my body before I pulled the trigger. That said, with the Kicklite stock I can shoot as many powerful rounds as I want to, it's really comfortable to shoot with.
    Last edited by Jacob; 12-07-2013 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typos