Thread: Amazing Motorcycle Car Or Carlike Motorcycle - Lit Motors

Amazing Motorcycle Car Or Carlike Motorcycle - LIT Motors

Perhaps this post belongs in On Two Wheels: http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...cant-fall-down
    Last edited by Marc; 03-27-2014 at 06:08 AM. Reason: typo

Interesting! The concept has been around for many years but this looks like it 'might' get into production unlike the Hawk of the 1990s. The bit I find it hard to get my head round is - How does the bike lean into bends if the gyros are trying to keep it upright all the time? I see a mechanical struggle going on there if the normal laws of two wheel cornering are to be followed.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Good question Ken. Apparently, it doesn't lean at all. The experience of remaining perfectly upright around bends would be highly unusual to say the least. As I see it, the only other way to incorporate a protective wrap around shell with a two wheeler, an idea that appeals to me more in bad weather than good, is with retractable training wheels like the Acabion uses. In the latter case, one still leans into curves in a normal fashion - at least at higher speeds. The training wheels probably drop down automatically at slow speeds to keep he bike from falling over.

That would be rather like riding a three wheeler then, Marc. I guess one's automatic reaction would be to lean one's body into the bend in the normal way. I do know that the Hawk DID lean into bends like a normal bike but the recovery to upright was quite sharp. Looking at the videos I can find of the LIT they only seem to show it going in a straight line, not round any bends. We need to know more, grasshopper!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

It appears to remain upright while parked without the use of any drop down stands or training wheels. At least none are visible in the photo. Even if the gyros spin in a near vacuum (likely) there is still a limit as to how long that can go on without drawing down the batteries and causing problems. Yes, more information would be helpful.

Once the gyros are fired up the 'bike stays upright without any support. When powering the gyros down then the rear stand - looks like two hydraulic rams - are lowered to the ground to keep the 'bike upright. More information needed - has this machine ever gone round a corner or is it only for use on Roman roads? Of course, there could be some real trick circuitry that precesses the gyros to a precice amount dependant upon handlebar input. More data, more data!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.