Thread: Crankcase oil change

Crankcase oil change

Nowadays, I only drive about 3 or 4days a week with total mileage about 11 to 14 miles a week. I realize I should change the oil every 3 months (???) or so, according to the owner's manual, which, BTW, I now no longer have. The last change occurred after about 340 miles of city driving, and I drained some of the oil in a clear plastic container, and it was so dark I couldn't see through the bottle. My question, am I doing the sensible thing about changing it every 3 months, or stretch the draining farther apart. Oil is cheap $18.00 for 5 quarts from NAPA dealer.
    Last edited by ChevyMan; 03-29-2014 at 05:35 AM. Reason: a word was omitted.

Short journeys, Chevy, allow for oil contamination by water and acids (by products of combustion) to accumulate very quickly as the engine and oil do not have time to heat up sufficiently to boil the bad stuff off. Ideally you need a good fast run, at least once a week, of around twenty to thirty miles. You are doing the right thing by changing your oil frequently. Left for too long the acid build up will start to erode the shells and bearing surfaces and cause a rapid increase in wear rates. Love your engine, keep changing the oil and always change the filter at each oil change, a few oil and filter swap outs are much cheaper than a replacement engine. Also, always change the oil and filter before laying a car, or bike, up for any length of time - over winter for example or if going away for two or three months.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Thanks very much, Ken, for your input regarding oil change. I usually change the filter every other times, but I'll be switching the filter also. I plan to keep this car, a '76 Chevy Impala with under 58000 miles on the odometer.