Thread: Highway fuels tax money being diverted

Highway fuels tax money being diverted

I've been saying this for years - that around 20-25% of the tax you pay when you fill up wasn't being sent to the highway department, but instead ending up in the pork gristle mill of the general fund. All the while, politicians were scolding us on the need for new taxes to pay for our deteriorating bridges & roads.

Well, someone in the news media finally woke up to the problem.

http://kxan.com/2014/11/26/texas-hig...o-to-highways/

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

As far as I am aware all our Vehicle Excise Duty (Road Fund Licence, Car Tax, Extortion Fund - call it what you will) has just gone into the gubbmint's general tax pot since 1937. This, to quite a large extent, may explain why we now have some of the worst roads I have ever seen. Most of our roads were designed to be completely resurfaced every 20 years - the last figure I saw quoted a current achievement figure of every 69 years. I've not been back to the States since mid 1989 but the roads I travelled on in the preceding six years, in FL, TX and CA, filled me with envy.

Our local main through road, in a very bad state for years, was closed for four days recently, supposedly for resurfacing, what we actually got was just a patchwork of skimmed and repaired areas. To make it even worse they had closed off the only two exits/entrances to our housing area so that if one just followed the diversion signs it was impossible to get in or out of one's home. We sneaked out, down the 'closed' road before they started on the first day. When we returned it took us over half an hour of altercation and aggravation to get them to realise and accept that we, and the others gradually queuing up behind us, were determined to get back to our houses. It appeared there was no one with the authority to change their 'instructions'. They finally gave way and moved their lorries to let us gain access to one feeder road - the gap they made was so small I had to fold my car's wing mirrors in to get through.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I'm in extreme S.W. Indiana. A lot of the state taxes I pay end up in the state capital and then spent up there. I've heard school taxes get the same treatment.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I've not been back to the States since mid 1989 but the roads I travelled on in the preceding six years, in FL, TX and CA, filled me with envy.
    There's good & bad everywhere. One of the worst roads I've driven on recently is I-40 in AZ, one of the best is the A55 in North Wales.