Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine falter

I'm a little fuzzy on this, but in the 1976 model year, 'regular' gas was probably not 87 octane; more likely 89 or even 91 octane.

You can probably get the official owner's manual for your car from helminc.com .

In the meantime, pour a pint of Marvel Mystery Oil in the fuel tank. In ten miles of driving, MMO will fix many, not all, of the problems that can beset a Quadrajet.

Browsing on the 'net I picked up a write-up on the '76 Impala that said correct rating was '91 Octane or better'. It appeared that there was quite a range of engine options and the article did not say whether the rating applied to some or all of the engines available.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Mike

>> I'm a little fuzzy on this, but in the 1976 model year, 'regular' gas was probably not 87 octane; more likely 89 or even 91 octane.<<

Even so, back in those days, they assured owners that the lowest octane was good enough.

Ken

Re post #22:

I'm quite satisfied with 87 octane and it's 10 cent a gallon cheaper than the other 2 octanes available in the area (89 & 92)

If it meets all your needs, Larry, stick with it. Mind you at 10 cents a gallon difference, only doing ten to fifteen miles a week what are you actually saving, 15 cents a week? Over here, at the moment we are laughing all the way to the pumps as petrol in this area has dropped from 149.9p/ltr to 117.9p/ltr that is a drop in cost of around 1:45p/US$2:40 a gallon. Long may it last, gas at only 5:35/US$8.75 is the lowest it has been for many years.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    Ken

Re post #22:

I'm quite satisfied with 87 octane and it's 10 cent a gallon cheaper than the other 2 octanes available in the area (89 & 92)

You've kept the car up well over the years and you're used to it. Just do a basic tune up with a new cap and wires and you'll probably get lots of use out of it yet.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks, grouch for the uplifting message. I've bought the car new and in all those years it was involved in only a single fender- bender (not my fault). I was about to park in a stall at a shopping mall and the left front fender was hit as I was about to turn left into a parking stall. The odometer has just turned 58000 miles.
    Incidentally, my neighbor just informed me that my starter motor makes abnormal noise when I start the engine. He tried to explain to me what was happening but being hard of hearing, I couldn't understand what he was saying. He interlocked the tips of both hands to explain but I couldn't make out what he meant. Do you have any idea what he was trying to tell me?
    I'll be taking the car in for various component replacement on Jan 6th.

Hey, Chevy.

The noise your neighbor was talking about could be one of several things, i.e. a sticking starter engagement gear not engaging or releasing properly, a worn ring gear, a chipped or missing engagement gear or ring gear tooth. I would suggest just get your mechanic to have a listen and tell you exactly what - if anything - needs doing. Enjoy your motoring.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Ken

But I've never encountered any problem starting the car. Turn the ignition key and it starts right away, no problem, but it was replaced more than 10 years ago, I can't recall when. I think I'll just replace it to be safe since I don't want to be stuck somewhere in the sticks. I believe in "Preventive Maintenance", as I was used to do as a mechanic with the occupation forces in Japan soon after the Japanese surrender.

Ken

But I've never encountered any problem starting the car. Turn the ignition key and it starts right away, no problem, but it was replaced more than 10 years ago, I can't recall when. I think I'll just replace it to be safe since I don't want to be stuck somewhere in the sticks. I believe in "Preventive Maintenance", as I was used to do as a mechanic with the occupation forces in Japan soon after the Japanese surrender.
    Fair comment, Larry, but none of the things I mentioned would necessarily prevent the car from starting. I am just guessing that your neighbor could hear an unexpected noise when you go to start the car. The fact that it starts sweetly is why I suggested starter gear or ring gear as being likely sources of an 'unusual' noise rather than the starter motor itself. Just let your mechanic have a listen to it even if only to put your mind at rest. Another suggestion is to get your neighbor to write down what he thinks he noticed and post it here although if you have his description written clearly enough I guess you could probably diagnose the problem yourself.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Since the 30th December last the price of petrol has dropped even further to 111.9p/ltr, 5.08/$8.12 per gallon.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 01-10-2015 at 09:30 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Yesterday I put 34.13/$54.61 of gas into the Mazda. The cost breakdown is quite interesting.

A rough check shows that the Gubbmint is taking 17.69/$28.30 in petrol tax plus 5.69/$9.10 in VAT thus grabbing a massive 23.38/$37.41 out of my 34.13/$54.61 leaving just 10.75/$17.20 (35p/$0.56/ltr) for the petrol distilling companies costs and profit, distribution network costs and profit and the retailer's profit which is, I believe around 4p/$0.064 to 6p/$0.096ltr. At this rate, in a couple of weeks I'll just have to pay the taxes and they will be paying me to take petrol away.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Ken, my mechanic got ahold of the car which I left in the shop overnight and first thing in the morning while starting it, he determined that the *culprit* was the carburetor which apparently is leaking fuel internally and is pretty sure it need replacing but before doing that, he will try overhauling it and will let me know tomorrow (Thursday) what his final decision will be in trying to fix the problem. Update will follow tomorrow.

Ken, my mechanic got ahold of the car which I left in the shop overnight and first thing in the morning while starting it, he determined that the *culprit* was the carburetor which apparently is leaking fuel internally and is pretty sure it need replacing but before doing that, he will try overhauling it and will let me know tomorrow (Thursday) what his final decision will be in trying to fix the problem. Update will follow tomorrow.

That's quite possible. The float bowl is plastic on quadrajets, which is what you have. Over time and repeated heat and cool cycles, they warp slightly and can leak inside. Sometimes they can be rebuilt but I usually just replace them with an Edelbrock Performer carburator. Those are based on the old Carter AFB and are a great unit. You'll want about a 600 cfm or slightly smaller for your 350. Especially since you won't be racing it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I have the 4bbl Rochester. Will Edelbrook replace Rochester?

The Quadrajet is a 'spread bore' 4bbl carbutetor, made by Rochester, and introduced around 1965.
    It has two rather small primary bores attached to the gas pedal, and two huge secondary bores opened only by airflow.

I think Rochester also continued to make more tradiional carburetors with four similar bores for a while after that.

Your mechanic can certainly tell the difference, and tell you which Edelbrock to buy; I think they make both kinds.

I have the 4bbl Rochester. Will Edelbrook replace Rochester?
    Yes. Your mechanic may need to get an adaptor. It depends on if you have a spread bore or square bore. It may seem contrary to common sense, but as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle, it will actually get BETTER fuel mileage. The primary jets are smaller than the two jets on a 2 barrel. Hit the loud pedal hard and open the secondaries and it will slurp fuel but I'll bet that not only will it fix the falter, your mileage may go up a bit with a fresh carburetor.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Yes. Your mechanic may need to get an adaptor. It depends on if you have a spread bore or square bore. It may seem contrary to common sense, but as long as you keep your foot out of the throttle, it will actually get BETTER fuel mileage. The primary jets are smaller than the two jets on a 2 barrel. Hit the loud pedal hard and open the secondaries and it will slurp fuel but I'll bet that not only will it fix the falter, your mileage may go up a bit with a fresh carburetor.
    ************************************************** *************************************

All this is now moot since I traded it in for a 2009 Toyota Camry. Sorry to dump the Impala which I've been driving for these past 39 years , due to the fact I couldn't get ahold of a replacement carb. Otherwise I would have continued to drive it on and on.

************************************************** *************************************

All this is now moot since I traded it in for a 2009 Toyota Camry. Sorry to dump the Impala which I've been driving for these past 39 years , due to the fact I couldn't get ahold of a replacement carb. Otherwise I would have continued to drive it on and on.
    Seems a bit odd, Larry. I found a replacement carb source for your car in about thirty seconds on-line. http://www.partsgeek.com/mmparts/car...et/impala.html still, if you are as lucky and pleased with your Toyota as I was with mine - 137,000+ trouble free miles - you will be a happy bunny. Enjoy your new car!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Thank you , for your kind words, Ken,I'm still getting used to, to all the features and driving controls
    of the Camry. I certainly miss the Impala already. Like all things in life, I guess you must get used to any new unfamiliar things that come your way.