Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Engine falter

I know what you mean, Larry. My first car had a speedometer, odometer and temperature gauge and a warning light for oil pressure. My latest car, a Mazda 3 TS2 has (IIRC) fifty seven lights and buttons a speedo, a tacho and a Multi Function LCD display with 'X' functions. It has annoying selt belt warning 'pings', Ice Warning Alert and Directional Stability Control, Auto or Semi Auto gearbox, Cruise Control, Seat heaters, Headlight Adjusters and many Audio System Controls ((For Radio, 6 Disc CD Player & MP3) which are never used, I hate distractions when I am driving)) and it says 'Hello' and 'Goodbye' when I turn on/turn off the ignition. Then we have the Automatic rain Sensing windscreen wipers etc., etc., ................

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    Thank you , for your kind words, Ken,I'm still getting used to, to all the features and driving controls
    of the Camry. I certainly miss the Impala already. Like all things in life, I guess you must get used to any new unfamiliar things that come your way.

Toyotas are one of the most reliable cars on the market. Just be sure to have the timing belt replaced when the maintenance schedule calls for it. Toyotas and Hondas are almost exclusively "interference" engines. This means the piston head and the valves both occupy the same area at different times during the engine movement. If the belt slips or breaks, the valve will stay open and the piston will slam into it.

I hope you got a good price for the Impala.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks for the reminder, Grouch. I acquired the car a week ago. It had almost 48000 miles on the odometer.
    Time almost to change the belt, maybe ?

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Toyotas are one of the most reliable cars on the market. Just be sure to have the timing belt replaced when the maintenance schedule calls for it. Toyotas and Hondas are almost exclusively "interference" engines. This means the piston head and the valves both occupy the same area at different times during the engine movement. If the belt slips or breaks, the valve will stay open and the piston will slam into it.

I hope you got a good price for the Impala.
    Depending on which engine Larry has, assuming his car is a 2009 manufactured, it could have a timing chain rather than a belt and, possibly, not be an 'interference' engine.

Likewise I hope Larry got good value on the Impala.

Larry, which engine do you have in your new car?

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

"Larry, which engine do you have..." Off the bat, all I can say is it's a 4-cylinder-engine car. They also make 6-cylinder cars.

Edit:

I checked.

"Chain", said the salesman.
    Last edited by ChevyMan; 02-09-2015 at 04:07 AM. Reason: Checked with reliable source.

I guess that you have the 2.4l, four cylinder gas engine then Larry, is it manual or auto?. Nice car, reasonably economical at 21 city, 31 highway and 25 mpg overall average. Hope you have fun exploring all the bells and whistles, some of the Camrys have everything bar the kitchen sink fitted.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

It's auto, 2.4L engine, Ken. Still getting used to driving it. I suppose it has no alternator (or generator), does it.?

Your car has a generator, Larry. It is shown at Position 2 in the above diagram of the serpentine belt layout for the 2.4L. 1 is the belt tensioner, 2 the Generator, 3 the water pump, 4 the A/C compressor, 5 the crankshaft pulley and 6 is the power steering pump.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Much obliged, Ken. I must go and find me service or repair manual for future reference.

The Camry owner's manual says not to use anything except washer fluid. I plan to use distilled water as I have been doing with the now-gone Impala for many years to prevent water marks on the glass, which tap water tends to do. What is your opinion on that, about using distilled water, I mean.

Where you live, distilled may be okay. Unless you drive up to the observatory, the chances of your washer tank freezing is slim to none. Since the engine has a chain, you're good for 120,000 miles or so. While a belt can age and break, chains don't do that. You have an alternator. I can't think of any cars with generators built since the early 60's. Generators and alternators both will charge a battery. However, at idle generators don't put out much charging and with more accessories draining the battery, alternators were installed as they put out more charge at idle. New alternators are tiny compared to a generator too.

I had a Camry years ago. It had some issues from lack of maintenance but once I fixed them, it gave me years of service. Fun little car with great mileage. Mom was getting pretty feeble so I had to get a larger car. The gal I sold it to replaced the muffler in 5 years and that was it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

............ You have an alternator. I can't think of any cars with generators built since the early 60's. Generators and alternators both will charge a battery. However, at idle generators don't put out much charging and with more accessories draining the battery, alternators were installed as they put out more charge at idle. New alternators are tiny compared to a generator too.
    Re my previous post - when you refer to a generator, Grouch I take it you are talking about what we, over here, called a dynamo? The data sources I looked at for the 2009 Camry referred to the alternator as both 'generator' or 'alternator' apparently synonymously.
    The diagram I posted clearly shows an alternator but refers to it as a generator. Over here we usually refer to 'alternator' and dynamos became extinct years ago.

Larry, as Grouch says, if distilled water has served you well carry on using it. Unless temps are going down to freezing or near freezing anti-freeze washer fluid is unlikely to be needed.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 02-11-2015 at 05:56 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Looking up some definitions it seems that both Dynamos and Alternators are broadly classified as 'Generators'. With a Dynamo the electrical output is (roughly) DC, with an Alternator the electrical output is AC.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

>>Freezing or near freezing....<<

Nah !!, ...during my life time, the coldest it got, particularly in the early morning hours, has been 58.3 deg f.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Looking up some definitions it seems that both Dynamos and Alternators are broadly classified as 'Generators'. With a Dynamo the electrical output is (roughly) DC, with an Alternator the electrical output is AC.

Ken.

The main difference between a generator and an alternator in the U.S. is how it makes power. A generator makes DC current and charges the battery directly. An alternator makes alternating current and uses a diode to convert it to DC. Dynamo is not a term used in the U.S. on auto parts. Alternators are more efficient but more dainty. Cross booster cables and you'll risk blowing the diode out. Generators can be wired to run as an electric motor. They have permanent magnets while the alternator has to have a starting voltage to make current. Generators would put out as much as 50 amps but alternators are well above that. I've seen them well past 100 amps.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

The main difference between a generator and an alternator in the U.S. is how it makes power. A generator makes DC current and charges the battery directly. An alternator makes alternating current and uses a diode to convert it to DC. Dynamo is not a term used in the U.S. on auto parts. Alternators are more efficient but more dainty. Cross booster cables and you'll risk blowing the diode out. Generators can be wired to run as an electric motor. They have permanent magnets while the alternator has to have a starting voltage to make current. Generators would put out as much as 50 amps but alternators are well above that. I've seen them well past 100 amps.
    Looks like yet another difference between us in the language we share, Grouch. UK English dictionary definition; 'Generator = a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy' using this definition, as you can see, both a Dynamo and an Alternator can be correctly defined - in UK English - as Generators, i.e they both 'generate' electricity. In US terms Larry's Camry, as you say, has an alternator a term which we also use as it defines the type of generator fitted.

With respect to using dynamos as motors, do you remember the old Dynostart? This acted as the starter motor until the engine ran at which point it reverted to its main function as a dynamo.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

At this point I think congratulations are in order to Larry who has started one of the most active threads in the last few weeks/months.

We could do with a few more like this, expecially in the Two Wheels forum.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Ken,

Do you happen to know how I can get ahold of a 2009 Camry repair manual, also a Parts catalog.?

Addendum:

How about you, Grouch?

A quick on-line search threw these suggestions up, Larry. I've used Haynes workshop manuals for many vehicles and found them very good. If you search 'Haynes workshop manual for 2009 Toyota Camry 2.4L' on ebay.com you may find a manual source local to you. Amazon.com is another good source.

Ken.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,carcode,1442322,parttype,10335

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=haynes+toyota+camry+manual&tag=googhydr-20&index=stripbooks&hvadid=35256656881&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=s&hvrand=8435923895309124070&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1vta241cjf_b
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Much obliged, Ken.

Edit. Logged in to e.bay.

They want $695.00 for a 4-volume set. Forget it!!. I'll try and find a local dealer.
    Last edited by ChevyMan; 02-12-2015 at 10:36 PM.