Thread: After effects after riding for first time in 4 years.

After effects after riding for first time in 4 years.

Well as most of you know already, I have a bad back as I had scoliosis surgery in 1997 with 2 rods, screws & hook implanted. I was then in a car accident in my parents wagon in 2007 which left me with more permanent damage to my back, including problems with my sciatic nerve on both legs, neuropathy in both legs & feet as well as running down both shoulders to the hand. I also have carpal tunnel in both hands. I have had 2 bikes before, my last one being in 2011 which I got rid of, due to not being able to ride it as often as I'd like due to my physical health, as well as it having more mechanical problems than I wanted to deal with. Any way I decided after 4 long hard years of not riding, and dying mentally from the lack of riding, I made the decision to do something I never thought I would do, being a gun nut, and that sell guns to buy a new ride. I ended up with a 1986 Honda Helix Scooter. Other than taking about a 5 minute test ride, maybe a mile long, do to it not being insured & having tags that was expired from 2012, no riding gear & having a bad battery, I had no riding with it. I test rode it Monday. Now earlier today (Friday) after getting the battery replaced I decided to take it out around the side roads by my house. No main road riding for now really due to no insurance or valid plates yet, as I haven't had the money for that, and won't until this coming Wednesday. I did ride it about 5 miles today total, during 2 separate times as it was only about 40 degrees & I only have a open face helmet. The good news is my back & legs done excellent today, no more pain than usual and was very comfortable to ride. Now about 10 hours after the last ride, my back and legs still don't hurt no more than they ever do, and the only problem i had while riding was my right hand went numb on the second ride for a couple a minutes. The only problem I have now is the my hands hurt from gripping the handlebars, however considering my other health issues with back & all I say I weathered the ride a lot better than I could have. Although I wish it had a rear hand brake for i could stretch both of my legs out on it, it was an overall very comfortable ride, and I do believe the comfort and handling is better than either of the 2 bikes I've owned in the past, and the weight of the scooter at about 400 pounds with fluid in in it is fairly easy for me to maneuver and handle. I'm very pleased with it so far, and it felt excellent riding again, and I can't wait to get it 100% legal for I can take it out on the main roads and really test it out and see how it does. Also for only a 250cc scooter and me weighing in at just over 325 lbs, it is fairly peppy. I managed to get up to 45 mph in a straight shot that was only 0.3 miles long, and if it wasn't for a stop sign, I could have gotten it faster before running on max end.
    Last edited by bikerlbf406; 03-28-2015 at 06:00 AM.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel