Thread: "Lane splitting can be safe"

"Lane splitting can be safe"

A report from UC Berkeley says the practice of motorcycles riding on the dashed line between cars in otherwise stopped traffic can be safe.

Me personally - I don't see how. All it takes is one driver making a lane change to gain advantage in slow traffic for the rider to get car-doored.

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2015/...itting-report/

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    A report from UC Berkeley says the practice of motorcycles riding on the dashed line between cars in otherwise stopped traffic can be safe.

Me personally - I don't see how. All it takes is one driver making a lane change to gain advantage in slow traffic for the rider to get car-doored.

http://newscenter.berkeley.edu/2015/...itting-report/

Chip H.
    We are allowed to filter over here but broadly at own risk. It is generally accepted that filtering at no more than ten to fifteen mph - with all due care and attention - is safe. Our Highway Code says, for motorcyclists; When filtering in slow-moving traffic, take care and keep your speed low. The LEOs, of course, can use their own judgement as to what is safe and as we all know, what is considered safe by us may not be considered safe by them, hence my caveat 'At own risk'.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 06-02-2015 at 05:22 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

There's also the issue that the line itself can be slippery when wet.