Thread: Dashboard lights

Dashboard lights

I own an '09 Toyota Camry. I understand that if a tire is "low" on air, a light on the dashboard indicate a tire need air filled, or does one need to occasionally check them from time to time ?

If I am correct, Larry, the 'Low Pressure' indicator is only a coarse guide. There is no substitute for checking tire pressures properly, around once a week,
    with a known good tire pressure gauge. If I use my local garage's air pump I always let about four or five psi out of the tire before inflating it to the required
    pressure - this pump has a manually operated 'gauge pre-set' capability (which is regularly checked and calibrated) which shuts off the pump at the pre-set
    pressure and is very accurate.

Khen.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

This gauge pre-set pump appears very useful and convenient. Does most service station use this particular type of pump. I have several pocket type gauges but most of them are inaccurate most of the time.

I'll simply trust the dashboard warnings whenever they occur. Good enough for me. I hardly drive more than 30 MPH anyway !!

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    This gauge pre-set pump appears very useful and convenient. Does most service station use this particular type of pump. I have several pocket type gauges but most of them are inaccurate most of the time.

I'll simply trust the dashboard warnings whenever they occur. Good enough for me. I hardly drive more than 30 MPH anyway !!
    I don't know how common the 'pre-set' type of gauge is, Larry. My local station is the only one where I put air in my tires, usually I use my own compressor(s) and gauge(s) at home. I have one big compressor with 50 ft air line that lives in the garage, a couple of ordinary miniature compressors and one miniature with digital pressure pre-set which is mainly reserved for the Yamaha. My two main gauges are both digital, accurate to +/- 0.5 psi (claimed), the one that works with the inflater/gauge that I use with my big compressor is only accurate to around a couple of psi - give or take - so I recheck and adjust with the digital gauge after slightly over-inflating the tires.

You can always check one of your gauges against a garage gauge, make a note of how much it over/under reads, keep it scrupulously clean and always use that one to check your tires - I still suggest checking your tires once a week though. Car tires are better than 'bike tires at holding pressures, 'bike tires are very different and can change by a couple of psi overnight, especially after a ride-out.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.