Thread: Sound advice when changing brake pads

Sound advice when changing brake pads

Do not be an idiot like your truly.

After changing the brake pads (or if you remove the brake calipers) REMEMBER TO PUMP THE BRAKES BEFORE YOU GO ANYWHERE.

I checked the front brakes since they were making odd noises.

Brakes appeared fine. Plenty of thickness and the rotors looked ok.

I put everything back together. (so far ok)

Now the dumb part.

I need to go out later this evening.

I approach the main road and press on the brakes.

Only problem is some genius forgot to press the brakes a few times to get the pressure to the point that the brakes would work.

I rolled through (pressing the useless brakes) across the main road in a state of shock. Fortunately for me (and others) no one was passing on the main road at that point.

Brakes returned to normal function, but I was reminded an important lesson.

After changing the brake pads (or if you remove the brake calipers) REMEMBER TO PUMP THE BRAKES BEFORE YOU GO ANYWHERE.

You may not be as fortunate as this lucky idiot.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkűn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

I think it's worth adding that if you've replaced the rear pads, on some cars the it's necessary to operate the parking brake lever a few times to to take up the clearance between pads & discs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
    I think it's worth adding that if you've replaced the rear pads, on some cars the it's necessary to operate the parking brake lever a few times to to take up the clearance between pads & discs.

Also, do not forget that your new pads will take time to bed in and reach their full efficiency so keep that two second gap between you and the car in front.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.